Have you Tried Graphite Iron Shafts?

JB;n8875703 said:
I got some recent survey results, so wanted to pose the same question to THPers. Have you tried graphite iron shafts? If yes, why? If no, why not?

No I have not. Mainly because I was 6 weeks late responding to an Instagram contest I won and missed out on claiming a set of KBS MAX Graphite Shafts. :pissed-off:

Had a set earlier in the year and loved them. Will be moving back to graphite this winter

gbtrsc;n8876093 said:
Recoil smacwrap F4 in my Hogan�s. Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ditto

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have used a set of recoils in 790's and they were a disaster... however, I have been fit into Steelfiber i95's by Club Champion in a few sets and they're real nice.

However, I don't see any performance difference between them and the Modus 105, which I currently play.

I do, however, have SF 95's in my 52/58 and a SF 125 in my 64 wedge. A very nice , low, and penetrating ball flight with tons of spins. I always get remarks from playing partners who are surprised by the bite I get from a lower ball flight. Shaft, plus grooves, plus a good ball is a good combination.

Yes this was my first year back playing graphite’s in my irons in 20 years. Over the years tried almost everything under the sun I felt like the question that most of us thought that graphite wasn’t accurate. So this year when the Srixon event allowed me the chance to participate I went all in on the graphite with my irons and here is my thoughts....

1. The bag got drastically lighter. So much easier carrying, loading, and unloading.

2. For me there isn’t a difference in accuracy so far. They did take some getting used to, don’t get me wrong but shaping shots and flighting them isn’t an issue at all now.

3. The feedback and feel of them are great. They’re not too soft feeling where I don’t feel anything but it definitely makes playing off tough turf a lot easier on the body.

4. Timing is everything. When really feel like going after one, for my swing timing is the biggest variation in the swing. My shoulders will get too quick if I’m not careful

5. Last but not least........why didn’t i try this sooner.

I’ve not switched but seriously need to consider.... have a few wrist/elbow ailments that may see some relief.... why not... I need to make time to get a proper fitting to ensure I’m doing the wise thing....

To blatantly steal an old internet meme: “All your graphite are belong to me”.

I love graphite, and don’t ever see my self going back to steel anything.

Stemmy66;n8876173 said:
I’ve not switched but seriously need to consider.... have a few wrist/elbow ailments that may see some relief.... why not... I need to make time to get a proper fitting to ensure I’m doing the wise thing....

You can try some in September if you wish!!!!

Yep. Had wrist surgery two summers ago and graphite shafts were a must on any set I was going to buy. Happened upon a great deal for some NOS Nike irons and have been very happy so far.
Feel a lot different than steel, but I’m still learning so it’s okay with me. Still fun!

chefkritter;n8876181 said:
You can try some in September if you wish!!!!

I’d love to but unfortunately it’s not in the cards.... I can’t change my current plans, in addition I have a good friend and work colleague getting married on that Sunday 29th. Id much rather be in Houston with you and the rest of the crew!

I played a set of graphite irons about 25 years ago, and they were nothing like what is available today. Exaggerated my irreproducible swing. I recently went to a TaylorMade demo day to talk with the guys and I tried the M6 irons with their stock Fujikura graphite shafts. Felt a lot better compared to the stock steel shafts in the M4s, with minimal loss of feedback, and performance at least equal to the M4/steel combo. Actually had me scheming how I could get into a set of graphite shafted irons, but it was more than I wanted to spend right now. Next set will be graphite, for sure.

Yes I have and won’t be switching back to steel. I switched to help ease some elbow pain and really like how the recoils feel in the big berthas.

Yes....have graphite in all my clubs except putter from wedges to driver. I have 2 sets of irons & wedges in fact and both have recoils, one set 95’s and the other a combination of 780/95. I originally went to graphite about 5 years ago due to a medical condition in a finger on my right hand so I needed extreme dampening to avoid pain.

Started originally with Steelfibres that were really nice then switched to Recoils in my current sets. Recoils have been excellent as well. Used to have annual flareups with tennis elbow and graphite has basically eliminated that annual nuisance. I doubt I’ll ever go back to steel as age has caught up and need the extra cushioning that graphite affords. Honestly didn’t gain or lose distance or accuracy although swing has to be a little less aggressive to maintain accuracy I found.

I have graphite shafts on my G25's. The fitter recommended graphite to ease the strain on my back, and also to offset getting older and less flexible. Very happy with the switch.

I have the Recoil 95 F4 in my ZU85 2i and I admit it does feel good, but I didn't try graphite in the rest of my irons when I was fitted so have steel in those (Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105)

I do like the Nippon shafts, but after the short time I have spent with the 2i I could be persuaded to give graphite a try throughout the set when I next change my irons

I've been using Recoil 95's for the last 5-6 years with decent success. During a fitting last week ball flight and dispersion showed I should be in a much heavier shaft, so I'm back to KBS Tours in the clubs on order.

Probably the best golf decision I ever made. Only wish I would have switched sooner.

Not yet but I guess you could say I'm graphite-curious

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've never had graphite shafts in my irons until I was fitted about 3 weeks ago.
I now have the Project X Catalyst 60 Shafts in my irons and I absolutely love them.

I play the Recoil 660 F3 in my irons and while I'm open to other graphite options, I don't have any interest in returning to steel.

OhioGolfer;n8875708 said:
I switched to graphite during Shaft up a couple years a go and won't look back now.
Same

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have never tried them. Two reasons. First, I have never thought of them as a viable options for a guy who is aggressive in their swing. I now know better and realize that the graphite iron shafts of today are much better than they used to be. Second, they just don't have any of the stiffer heavier options anywhere close by to try. We don't have any real fitters available. The shops just don't offer them as demos.

I have hit them in the store a few times. But other than utility irons, I haven't gamed any type of graphite iron shaft. After watching Nate in Tahoe using the Recoil 125 F5 in his irons I'm very intrigued, especially with the wrist injuries I've been fighting lately.

I have Fujikura Pro 95i in all my irons and wedges

love 'em

I have the Matrix Deus 60 S shafts in my wedges and Iron for the past year.

Smooth, and consistent feel. Tight dispersion. Mid ball flight without a lot of spin.

In Tour White. Of course.

https://youtu.be/5qxeD2GsuaQ

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Back