Have you Tried Graphite Iron Shafts?

My one swing with the Rogue Pro/Catalyst combo at THCE last year was the only time I've ever tried a graphite shaft. No real reason other than I don't switch irons much and there aren't a lot of options to try around here.

Gamed Recoil shafts for several years, from 2014 to 2017. Didn't have any issues with them necessarily, but got a bit more consistency from steel shafts. Largely the decision was driven by a change in my swing. I would happily go back to graphite shafts if I felt like I got more distance or a tighter dispersion.

kevin81002;n8876598 said:
I have hit them in the store a few times. But other than utility irons, I haven't gamed any type of graphite iron shaft. After watching Nate in Tahoe using the Recoil 125 F5 in his irons I'm very intrigued, especially with the wrist injuries I've been fighting lately.

Maybe I should put Recoils in my putter! :D

I tried recoils for a season, really surprised me was the results. Enjoyed the feel of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Working with Bryson DeChambeau on graphite iron shafts right now. Graphite irons are definitely not just for the older golfer, or for slower swing speeds. A little trivia - two major championship have been won with a full set of graphite irons.

Jaysfan;n8876884 said:
I tried recoils for a season, really surprised me was the results. Enjoyed the feel of them

Nate;n8876812 said:
7t7addt

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Nate;n8876812 said:
Q

Paladin;n8876684 said:
Gamed Recoil shafts for several years, from 2014 to 2017. Didn't have any issues with them necessarily, but got a bit more consistency from steel shafts. Largely the decision was driven by a change in my swing. I would happily go back to graphite shafts if I felt like I got more distance or a tighter dispersion.

Nate;n8876812 said:

Might I interest you in Stroke Lab technology? :angel:

I have not thought of it until I saw the Epic irons being released with some interesting shafts.

Yep tried graphite. Had the UST Recoil 95's but they were just too light. Eventually need to try something heavier. Or be fitted by Danny! :banana:

They were an absolute necessity when I injured my elbow. But once that was cleared up, it was nice to get back to steel. Distance control and lack of feel are what I didn't like about graphite.

Yes I have been using graphite iron shafts for the past few years. I developed a severe case of tennis elbow (couldn't even pick up a glass of water), so the doctor recommended graphite shafts. In addition, the fitter recommended them as my irons/wedges are +2-inches and he said the swing weight with steel shafts would be in the E6-E8 range...which my current irons at the time were.

I have been using Recoil shafts.

Shafted;n8876887 said:
Working with Bryson DeChambeau on graphite iron shafts right now. Graphite irons are definitely not just for the older golfer, or for slower swing speeds. A little trivia - two major championship have been won with a full set of graphite irons.

Any idea of the weight range for the iron shafts yet?

pattyboy21;n8876987 said:
They were an absolute necessity when I injured my elbow. But once that was cleared up, it was nice to get back to steel. Distance control and lack of feel are what I didn't like about graphite.

The lack of feel kinda surprises me, what shafts were you using graphite vs steel now?

Jman;n8877289 said:
The lack of feel kinda surprises me, what shafts were you using graphite vs steel now?

I had a set of Top-Flite Tour irons with whatever their OEM shaft was. I have Project X steel shafts in my Callaway irons now.

The feel of graphite was great - no vibration and very smooth. It was the lack of feedback on off-center strikes and the uncertainty of how far the ball might travel that I call the lack of feel. I know instantly with my steel-shafted clubs if the ball is going to cover the distance. This was mid-90’s when I had the Top-Flite irons, so maybe there has been significant improvement in graphite shafts through the years.

pattyboy21;n8877334 said:
I had a set of Top-Flite Tour irons with whatever their OEM shaft was. I have Project X steel shafts in my Callaway irons now.

The feel of graphite was great - no vibration and very smooth. It was the lack of feedback on off-center strikes and the uncertainty of how far the ball might travel that I call the lack of feel. I know instantly with my steel-shafted clubs if the ball is going to cover the distance. This was mid-90’s when I had the Top-Flite irons, so maybe there has been significant improvement in graphite shafts through the years.

To be real, the change from 90’s graphite iron shafts to now is like comparing a Gremlin to a Ferrari haha

Last year I went from steel shafts to Recoil 760 Reg due to tennis elbow issues. At first they seemed too light so went with some lead tape. Then I won a set of Recoil ESX 460 Stiff from JB/Golfergal here in Fantasy Football and had those installed. Much better dispersion, same weight, but I hit the Stiff much better. If I did it again or if I score new irons, I'd go with the Recoil Smacwrap 780 Stiff which are about 20 grams heavier.

I'll never go back to steel shafts, they really do help with elbow pain.

Sooner21;n8877275 said:
Any idea of the weight range for the iron shafts yet?

Are you asking specifically about what Bryson is working with, or what LAGP plans to come out with for consumers. Oly

I play graphite shafts in everything from Driver to 58* wedge. It was an easy decision for me. When I started playing 2 years ago I found that every time I hit a bucket of balls on the range my hands and especially my wrists were so sore I could not pick up a club for at least 3 days. I have pretty small weak wrists to the point that jerking open a heavy steel frame glass door will cause a mild sprain in my wrists from time to time. I talked to a local pro when this all started and we went on the range and hit some irons with graphite shafts and everything just felt so much better. I ordered irons with graphite shaft that day and have never looked back. I no have no pain or soreness in my hands or wrists even when I do something stupid and have a horrendous mishit. Changing back to a steel shafted club is really just not an option for me and has never crossed my mind.

Shafted;n8877729 said:
Are you asking specifically about what Bryson is working with, or what LAGP plans to come out with for consumers. Oly

Consumers. It wouldn't help us much if we don't have access to them... I've been playing Recoils for years but they're too light for me according to fitting results. I'm switching back to steel, but really wish there were heavier graphite options available.

I had graphite in my old ping irons and wish I had it in my new Callaway irons. I might look into reshafting these next year.

I have never tried them, but have been extremely interested in doing so. Just worry about the shafts being too light. Definitely thinking about making them my shafts in my next set of irons.

Sooner21;n8878018 said:
Consumers. It wouldn't help us much if we don't have access to them... I've been playing Recoils for years but they're too light for me according to fitting results. I'm switching back to steel, but really wish there were heavier graphite options available.

How heavy are you looking for?

Seeing the difference in an outdoor fitting probably the 120 range, but the fitting cart didn't have the Recoil 110's to try - just the 95's which I already have.

Back