JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
My last 2 rounds, I did not have the same grip on all of my clubs and I thought it would bother me more than it did. I have always used a different one on my driver, but the rest have been the same. This round I had one type on my irons, one type on my hybrids, one type on my wedges and my 2 drivers had two different grips.

Obviously that is extreme, but really thinking about going with something similar on my distance clubs and something similar on my scoring clubs. Anybody else like me here?

For me size matters the most. For example, I would not want to mix standard size and mid size grips within the same bag. As far as texture and, or, grip material, I could play with a mix and not be bothered by it.

Not me. I usually go the same through the bag. For me the grips help promote the grip pressure I want and with some of the harder grips or multi compound grips I find myself gripping too tight and adding tension to my swing.

• Admin
mikeg_74;n8880103 said:
Not me. I usually go the same through the bag. For me the grips help promote the grip pressure I want and with some of the harder grips or multi compound grips I find myself gripping too tight and adding tension to my swing.

Interesting. This is the exact reason I use a different grip in distance vs scoring clubs. Honestly your idea of consistency probably makes more sense

I like full cord from driver - PW but a multicompound (Lamkin Z5 normally) on 50 - 54 - 58 wedges. If the GW (50) is set, usually go with the same full cord that is on the iron set.

Currently have 3 different grip models (GP MCC & Tour Velvet + Callaway standard) in the bag which isn't typical. The difference doesn't bother me. BTW, we had this discussion on the course today. I'm going to Super Stroke Cross Comfort on my irons and wedges. Tour Velvet on my driver, 3w, 3h and 4h.

I try to use the same grip for every club but the lob wedge as I open the face on that club.

I have the SuperStroke Cross Comfort midsize on every club except my driver shaft I'm using right now. I've got a Miyazaki shaft in my Rogue that I am currently testing out the SuperStroke Traxion grip but the original Synergy shaft does have the Cross Comfort grip.

I have GP New Decade all the way thru the bag. I previously had some different sized grips on driver and fairways but went back to the same size after a suggestion from fitter. He said it was about consistency.

Mcc
tour wrap
MCC +4
Utx
New decade

Got a full set of microsuede that, in theory, will go on soon.

For me it's a feel thing, I have a hard time finding my groove if my grips are different. I typically play Puregrips DTX, but can adapt to whatever as long as it's consistent..and fits in my hand.

I prefer a softer grip on my woods if I’m not playing the same through the bag. I LOVED having the cross comfort on the driver when I was testing those. I’d absolutely throw something like that or the tour wrap microsuedes on the long clubs, and leaving them off the rest of the clubs.

I’m pretty vanilla in my grip preferences in that I really just like a rubber grip like the Tour Velvet or 3GEN. So, mixing and matching within that style doesn’t really bother me. But put something like a plus four, and I’m probably not going to like that.

Midsize Tour Velvets on driver and wood/hybrids, midsize +4 Aligns on irons and, standard Tour Velvets on my wedges for the touchy shots and being able to manipulate the club face without the align rib messing with my mind.

I am not as crazy as I thought...Well I am, but at least not in grips.

I have the Winn dritac jumbo on every club but my putter. Consistent feel on every club just works for me

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

All of my iron grips are the same, all of my wedge grips are different as well as my driver, 3 wood, hybrid. Wedges and irons will all be MCC+4 by weeks end, the rest stay the same. Really like the MCC+4 grips a lot.

Just slapped 13 Lamkin Sonar Tours on the clubs today. First time in a long time all clubs match.

Same grips on irons. Same size on woods and hybrids.

I have Tour Velvet 360s on all of my clubs except the driver which has the regular tour velvet.

It seems like most oems are using the 360.

My grips are usually mismatched. I generally keep factory grips on and change as needed, unless I really hate it.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

TBH, I dabble with used clubs a lot which allows me to try a lot of different clubs relatively cost efficiently and whatever grip is on these ‘trial’ clubs stays, however on my ‘gamers’ pretty much all have the same grips for consistency

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midsize on my driver, standard size on everything else. Also, the driver is more of a cushioned grip, and the rest are all pretty firm.

I have Lamkin UTx on my driver, fairway, hybrid, and wedges, and Lamkin Crossline Ace 3Gens on my irons, all midsize. I went with the Crosslines on the irons first, then tried the UTx on the long clubs. I don't wear a glove, and was concerned about going with corded grips on everything, so just stayed with that combo. Finally put UTx on the wedges, as I really like them, and haven't had any issues with not wearing a glove. I may go UTx throughout the bag, but then again I may stick with a non-corded grip on the irons, the new Sonar Tours interest me a lot, just have to build them up to midsize, or wait for Lamkin to expand their offering.

I use the same grips throughout. And I tend to lean more toward some of the softer grips on the market. With the harder style grips, I feel like the grip is slipping in my hands.

Just installed the GP microsuedes, and can't wait to try them out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have Tour Velvets on all my clubs, though only have Align on my driver, FW, and hybrid. I haven't replaced my wedges grips because all those are still pretty fresh, and when I replace grips on my wedges I usually do a lot of extra tape, but they all came with a tour velvet style grip anyway, so I'm not particularly worried.

Actually, since I recently got a new (to me) FW and hybrid, those do need new grips. I've found I really like the alignment aid on the back of my long clubs.

Back