When to leave steel and go to graphite?

Ottawaclo

#THPFunkoFam
Reaction score
Handicap
Titos
When I first started playing I only used graphite shafts in my irons. Then with the Apex CF16's i finally switched to steel and loved it. My misses werent as bad.....I felt like I had more control on my distances.......but man can I feel it after 18 holes now.

It is a purely physical thing to switch back to graphite? I know with the tech involved, the graphite can match the profile of the steel shafts but the allure to me is hearing folks saying how much easier the graphite shafts are on their bodies.

Just curious for those that have made the switch what caused them to do so?

Physical issues? The time is now. I just did it and it's been great. I played 5 rounds in 4 days and had no issues. In the past I would have issues after 1 round.

Anytime really. Both offer great performance, and the graphite of today does not lag compared to steel.

Graphite is right with steel now in terms of performance. Besides price, I don't see a reason not to test out a graphite shaft options that could fit you.

Anytime. I did make the switch after developing elbow injuries.

I think it is worth going to get fit and see what gives you the best results. Definitely worth a look!

Anytime. The better question is that if performance is comparable, and it can help or lesson the chance of injury, why wouldn’t you?

As much as I love the feel of certain steel shafts, I think there will be graphite iron shafts in my future. I have been playing a lot of golf, and my right elbow is getting more and more sore. Not to the point where it is an issue, but enough where I would like to address it.

When you can get a good deal on the Project X Catalyst shafts in your flex and weight.

I switched when my elbow started causing me problems after a round. After switching to graphite permanently over a 2 years ago - I've had zero issues. It just feels better to me too - easier to make solid contact at my old age.

I think it's honestly just whenever you want. I switched because of ongoing pain in my right arm. I've played Recoil, Steelfiber, and Catalyst, with Steelfiber being my favorite overall. I've also had plenty of experience with stock graphite options out there and been ok with them too. When you find a set makeup that suits you weight and performance-wise, go for it.

It was easy for me. My body, especially my wrists and to a certain degree my hands, could not take the beating from a steel shaft. Everytime I hit balls on the range my hands and especially my wrists would be sore for days. My wrists are so small and weak thought that I can get a mild sprain opening a heavy door to quickly. When I first tried graphite, I loved the feel and more importantly loved the lack of soreness. Before I could play a round or hit a bucket of balls and not be able to hold a club comfortably for a few days and now I do something with a golf club every day and don't have any of the soreness I had before. I also do tend to like a lighter shaft and can feel the position of the head better with the graphite as well.

any time imho. i make it a point to ask to try graphite in any fitting i've done, then let the fitter tell me whether it's the right move. to date, it hasn't been. but i'm never opposed to it.

I haven't made the switch and to be honest I don't think I could do it on my own. I'd want to be fit for them by a professional showing proof that they are equally as good for my game if not better.

KBS vs. Recoils is a very real internal struggle....lol

I've not pulled the trigger, but I'm certainly in the phase where all I think about is why not....

I just pulled the trigger on the graphite shafts for the first time on my new clubs. I have played graphite in woods forever why not for irons. New clubs have the recoil 760. I figured going into my 50's it was time to go to regular graphite iron shafts; no more stiff steel. That has been in my woods for the past 15 years.

I just made the switch to graphite shafts two weeks ago. I'm 67 years of age and was having a lot of discomfort in my shoulders after playing a round of golf with my Cobra F7 irons. Went in a few weeks to the local golf shop and talked to the pro there. After talking with him and swinging a few different clubs decided on the z585 with the Miyazaki Kaula 8 shafts. I've played four rounds with them so far and have felt no discomfort in my shoulders since making the switch.

When you're old & you're bones start to creek! :act-up:

Or when you just feel like you want to try graphite and see if you get any benefit from them. Plus if you walk a lot, the weight makes a big difference for sure. Along with a myriad of other reasons.

My opinion is that graphite can be just as good for your game as steel can be and whatever your body tells you is king. If theres zero or little performance differnce......why not?

If I had the money to do it, I would go now. The new graphite these days is just legit and every bit as stable as most steel shafts. Plus the lighter weight just makes it easier.

Made the switch to recoils this year on a whim. I was afraid that misses would be amplified but they weren’t. I can hit it all over the yard with steel or graphite. The bag got lighter, swinging slowed down but kept the same distances, and the feel of them is a lot less harsh than the steel for me.

Honestly, as soon as you can get fit, and it fits the budget. I have no left wrist pain anymore... none. It used to flare up all of the time to the point that I thought taping it was the answer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

rallo;n8884371 said:
Honestly, as soon as you can get fit, and it fits the budget. I have no left wrist pain anymore... none. It used to flare up all of the time to the point that I thought taping it was the answer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Don't you think a swing fix would cure your wrist pain? Sounds like you are hinging before impact and the wrist takes the brunt of the down force

Back