When to leave steel and go to graphite?

Last time I got fit, which wasn't too long ago, it was a steel shaft that gave me minimum dispersion. Pain isn't an issue for me. Smash factor is really high, which obviously is a major factor in how much feedback you get up the shaft. As Pilot25 pointed out, lessons is another alternative. As a member of the retirement-age generation, I get it. Some golfers in this generation are all for committing to lessons and improving their game. While others figure their game is what it is and won't go down this road. Game improvement irons or super game-improvement irons can also help. Those are your options.

I think I could switch at any time. It would definitely be an adjustment period for me though. I've always felt I was going to snap the shaft when I've hit graphite. It's decidedly mental for me.

I think this honestly comes down to feel and profile. Graphite can tend to be easier in the joints, but there are some steel shafts with great feel and vibration dampening that have closed that gap tremendously.
Also, Recoil shafts are a different class of graphite to me. They're just superb in terms of performance and feel and they stand alone in the graphite category IMO.

Health issues caused my switch but honestly wish I had done it much sooner. The health issues of 5.5 years ago would likely not have arisen had I switched sooner.

Ottawaclo;n8882969 said:
When I first started playing I only used graphite shafts in my irons. Then with the Apex CF16's i finally switched to steel and loved it. My misses werent as bad.....I felt like I had more control on my distances.......but man can I feel it after 18 holes now.

It is a purely physical thing to switch back to graphite? I know with the tech involved, the graphite can match the profile of the steel shafts but the allure to me is hearing folks saying how much easier the graphite shafts are on their bodies.

Just curious for those that have made the switch what caused them to do so?

My pro traded me his graphite shafted irons for my steel shafts. I expected to sell them but ended up playing them for nearly 20 years. I've been playing steel for the last 8 or so years and but, with arthritic hands, I now feel the need for help with vibration dampening. I've had foam inserts put in my steel shafts to see if that helps. I'm only a round or two in with them but I've felt some benefit. Nevertheless, I expect my next set of irons will be graphite shafted.

I’ve got steel on my wedges and graphite everywhere else.

The difference is very noticeable, steel feels really hard whereas with graphite if you hit a nice shot you don’t even feel the ball, it’s just so smooth.

rallo;n8884371 said:
Honestly, as soon as you can get fit, and it fits the budget.

This right here! The key words are “get fit”...as is the case with all things equipment really.

I left steel and moved to graphite when my elbows starting hurting after every round. Since the change my elbows don't hurt anymore.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Went and had a little session with the graphite KBS and my answer is ASAP. I just loved the feeling with the Cobra CBs.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I moved because my body was telling me, sore elbows and shoulders. I loved playing steel but my body was taking a beating. I think the key is finding the right brand/weight that just feels right and give you good numbers. I didn’t lose anything moving to graphite from an accuracy perspective. Best of luck Chris.

Back