Elbow issues? Does swapping to graphite iron shafts help?

DMoney79

War Damn Eagle!!
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been battling tennis elbow(top) not golfers elbow(underneath), but tennis elbow. I had talked to JB at the ShaftUp at Olympia Fields about swapping to graphite in my irons. It seems to never get better and has been going on for 3-4 months now. Anyone with experience out there let me know. I'm reaching out for experience from the forum. I would definitely go UST but have no idea weight or flex might need to do a trial run. What are some of the reasons out there for why you swapped to graphite iron shafts?

Yes it helps but it's certainly not a cure all, at least in my experiences. My right arm is shot, graphite helps me not swell up post round. But there is still soreness.

For the very reason of elbow pain. I like the dampening effect of the graphite, but it still gives me plenty of feel.

I believe it would help. I had issues (arthritis was the diagnosis) with my upper arms / shoulders over 5 years ago. Doctor recommended ditching steel shafts and to stop carrying my bag. Switched to all graphite (down to LW) and starting using a push cart almost 5 years ago and have experienced no issues in those area since. I am definitely a believer. I'm sure Danny could point you in the right direction regarding weight and flex after watching you play for 2 days.

Also try UV Compression Sleeves when you you play - I have Golfer's Elbow and I can tell the difference when I don't wear them.
Almost any brand on Amazon works.

timely topic as recently i've been experiencing some soreness in my right elbow after practice sessions. i'm more interested in graphite than ever.

I developed a severe case of golfer's elbow 3 winters ago, when I first started hitting off a mat into a net in my garage. Have tried a number of different graphite shafts, that helped some. I also think the new steel Elevate shafts with their damping system help some. Bottom line is I basically get a shot in my elbow about every 6 months now, and can play pain free for the most part.

ddec;n8884830 said:
Yes it helps but it's certainly not a cure all, at least in my experiences. My right arm is shot, graphite helps me not swell up post round. But there is still soreness.

Yeah this is what I'm worried about. I'm not to the swelling point yet but its coming soon. This is in my left elbow and the change is going to have to happen. How long have you been playing graphite?

Snickerdog;n8884849 said:
For the very reason of elbow pain. I like the dampening effect of the graphite, but it still gives me plenty of feel.

Do you still have problems with your elbow after the swap?

When I put a set of Recoils into a a CF16 Apex combo set I picked up, my shoulders stopped hurting after golf. Since going back to steel, I get shoulder pain at night after rounds and my elbows and wrists have started hurting tremendously(getting increasingly steep lately is only exacerbating the problem). Been thinking for weeks about dropping some Recoil 95 or 110s into the CF19 Pros I have now.

Iceman!;n8884876 said:
Also try UV Compression Sleeves when you you play - I have Golfer's Elbow and I can tell the difference when I don't wear them.
Almost any brand on Amazon works.

I've been wearing a brace but it only allows me to play with little to no pain. Might have to try this also until i can swap shafts.

DMoney79;n8885126 said:
Do you still have problems with your elbow after the swap?

Very little, I wear a Copper Fit elbow sleeve also and it has all but eliminated my elbow pain thru a round. I have been playing 27 regularly lately to prep for the Grandaddy and haven't had any issues. Recoil 95's

I had it really bad in my left elbow, switch to graphite and it definitely helped, but it only went away when a) I did some exercise to strengthen the arm and b) did some work on my swing. I was swinging way over the top and holding the face open and putting a ton of strain on my elbow. I still come over the top, but much less severe and my elbow (knocking on wood) is feeling way better.

McLovin;n8884883 said:
timely topic as recently i've been experiencing some soreness in my right elbow after practice sessions. i'm more interested in graphite than ever.

Its hell turning 40 this year wonder what ailment I will be complaining about at 50!!! I just want what I get from steel in graphite is the only problem!

Greg Kulbick;n8885130 said:
When I put a set of Recoils into a a CF16 Apex combo set I picked up, my shoulders stopped hurting after golf. Since going back to steel, I get shoulder pain at night after rounds and my elbows and wrists have started hurting tremendously(getting increasingly steep lately is only exacerbating the problem). Been thinking for weeks about dropping some Recoil 95 or 110s into the CF19 Pros I have now.

Yep its time I'm having the same issues with wrist pain also. Its not a real problem until I have to play a couple days in a row like in Chicago and then I'm hurting while playing... Its time to put ego aside and play some graphite iron shafts!

mancest;n8885138 said:
I had it really bad in my left elbow, switch to graphite and it definitely helped, but it only went away when a) I did some exercise to strengthen the arm and b) did some work on my swing. I was swinging way over the top and holding the face open and putting a ton of strain on my elbow. I still come over the top, but much less severe and my elbow (knocking on wood) is feeling way better.

This has been my issue as of late with the OTT and holding on for dear life... I'm releasing the club better these last round but I have been putting a lot of stress on it.

IME it was worth it. When I was traveling for work I had enough time on my hands to play or practice 3-4 times per week. I was gaming steel and it took its toll in the form of the same type of pain in my left elbow. I gutted it out for a while with NSAIDs but eventually switched to some Titleist irons with Recoils and eventually I was able to play pain free and without having to pop pills (as an aside I also posted my two PBs with those irons, suspect the performance of the Recoils may have helped here also). I've since gone back to steel shafts but both sets have had some kind of damping inserts (Sensicores, then the ones from GolfWorks). The inserts certainly help but I'm also not playing nearly as much.

I have had Both Rotator cuffs repaired and I am getting Arthritis in my hands and the Graphite shafts have eliminated about 90% of my post round pain.
I wish I had switched to graphite sooner.

DMoney79;n8885119 said:
Yeah this is what I'm worried about. I'm not to the swelling point yet but its coming soon. This is in my left elbow and the change is going to have to happen. How long have you been playing graphite?

I dabbled back and forth, and with testing that happens. But my last 4 full time sets have primarily been graphite. Steelfiber 95 s(fitted at grandaddy 2015), Recoil 95 in Mizuno JPX900 Recoil 780(installed in p790), and Catalyst in the Cf19. I had some other sets that were stock graphite like SLDR irons. But I have played some steel too and I found some of the dampeners help.

PatsFan;n8885171 said:
I have had Both Rotator cuffs repaired and I am getting Arthritis in my hands and the Graphite shafts have eliminated about 90% of my post round pain.
I wish I had switched to graphite sooner.

Yeah I'm going to make the switch. Just have to save my pennies and ask Danny what would be best for me.

JohnSinVA;n8885164 said:
IME it was worth it. When I was traveling for work I had enough time on my hands to play or practice 3-4 times per week. I was gaming steel and it took its toll in the form of the same type of pain in my left elbow. I gutted it out for a while with NSAIDs but eventually switched to some Titleist irons with Recoils and eventually I was able to play pain free and without having to pop pills (as an aside I also posted my two PBs with those irons, suspect the performance of the Recoils may have helped here also). I've since gone back to steel shafts but both sets have had some kind of damping inserts (Sensicores, then the ones from GolfWorks). The inserts certainly help but I'm also not playing nearly as much.

Thanks! Never heard of this Sensicores will have to do some research

For me it did, in a massive way.

I've moved back to steel, but, the VSS in the Elevate's have also made a big difference.

I switched out clubs completely and went to Recoil shafts in my new set. My hands and elbows were killing me with the steel shafts. The recoils have been a huge improvement and i am just fighting a bit of elbow soreness but with strength training and some mobility training it is getting better. I don't ever see going back to steel shafts ever again. I don't think you will be unhappy making the switch.

I switched to recoils two months ago, and this was one of the main reasons. I'm only 32 so for a long time my ego wouldn't let me do it. Looking back, I wish I would have done it years ago. Elbow feels a lot better and there has been zero drop off in performance. Honestly, even without the elbow pain I would still play them.

I had a bad bout of tennis elbow 3 years ago. I had a compression sleeve and a band for the forearm. The band actually worked great and I could have just used that. My pain dissipated over the winter and hasn’t returned like that. Do I still get sore here and there, yes. I am not sure graphite shafts are the end all for this injury, it is usually time and anti-inflammatory drugs.

Back