Nippon Shafts Thread

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
We have a "catch all" thread for most shaft companies for when the talk isn't necessarily line/design specific, but not Nippon. Well, lets fix that.

Nippon is RAPIDLY gaining traction among amateurs with them becoming more readily available as stock options in clubs like the 565/765's and several others, but they are also getting a lot more play on Tour than people realize.

So, lets discuss it here, if you want.

Super smooth shaft. I regret not getting the modus3 105 in my current irons and is the main reason why I am shopping for new irons now. Not sure what head yet, but I'm certain that they will be attached to the 105's.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

• Staff
I've talked about it a lot in the pondering, building, and 765 iron threads, but now can here too. I'm seriously considering going back to the Nippon MODUS3 Tour 120's in my 765's as opposed to the new set of Recoil 110's I have waiting. Why? Feel mostly, the 120's are addicting. The downside is I know I moved from them because I play so much and the joints were being grumpy at the time, but, I was also testing 3 iron sets in that period and having to swing a LOTTTTT of irons at the time. So, its a thought right now.

Additionally, I ordered MODUS3 Tour 115 Wedge shafts in the new 50/56/60 RTX3's. I know NOTHING about those, but i was curious!

I've been a big fan of the Nippon shafts every time I've tried them. I still think the 950 is the best steel shaft in terms of feel in that weight range, and much prefer it over the XP95 and KBS 90. The Modus 105 that were in the PING G were fantastic, and I'd love another go with them. I've hit the Modus 120 in a set of 765 in a demo day, and the feel was way better than other shafts in that weight range.

Having gone another round with DGs in the bag, I realized how much I prefer a "smooth" shaft, and IMO the Nippon lines deliver that in spades.

I consider myself relatively "in tune" with the golf industry thanks to THP and I have to admit Nippon shafts have just evaded me completely.

I think as a brand they could really stand to make themselves a lot more visible and recognizable from a distance with a simple and prevalent logo. The few clubs I've hit with Nippon shafts only have tiny little black text on the shaft that says what it is. I know the Modus line has the Red design but I think it's just that line.
Dynamic Gold has their obvious gold labels
KBS has the red labels
Project X has the blue labels.

Just one man's opinion. I'd love to hit the Modus 120 at some point.

I have them in my 565s. Surprised me how great they feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Staff
I consider myself relatively "in tune" with the golf industry thanks to THP and I have to admit Nippon shafts have just evaded me completely.

I think as a brand they could really stand to make themselves a lot more visible and recognizable from a distance with a simple and prevalent logo. The few clubs I've hit with Nippon shafts only have tiny little black text on the shaft that says what it is. I know the Modus line has the Red design but I think it's just that line.
Dynamic Gold has their obvious gold labels
KBS has the red labels
Project X has the blue labels.

Just one man's opinion. I'd love to hit the Modus 120 at some point.

The interesting thing about Nippon, they are MONSTROUS overseas, and I think that lends to them being relatively reserved over here as a company. They sort of just go about their business and let the product speak for itself, similar to UST in that way to me.

I've talked about it a lot in the pondering, building, and 765 iron threads, but now can here too. I'm seriously considering going back to the Nippon MODUS3 Tour 120's in my 765's as opposed to the new set of Recoil 110's I have waiting. Why? Feel mostly, the 120's are addicting. The downside is I know I moved from them because I play so much and the joints were being grumpy at the time, but, I was also testing 3 iron sets in that period and having to swing a LOTTTTT of irons at the time. So, its a thought right now.

Additionally, I ordered MODUS3 Tour 115 Wedge shafts in the new 50/56/60 RTX3's. I know NOTHING about those, but i was curious!

I would have gone with the Modus 105s had I not got a stupid deal on the set of Apex w/ recoils that I got. I've got the same issue with my shoulder starting to bother me, so I needed to move away from the DG profile.

I would have gone with the Modus 105s had I not got a stupid deal on the set of Apex w/ recoils that I got. I've got the same issue with my shoulder starting to bother me, so I needed to move away from the DG profile.

I have thought about the 105s as of late because I enjoyed them when testing out the line recently.

I have thought about the 105s as of late because I enjoyed them when testing out the line recently.

That weight is definitely right in your wheelhouse. Did you and Dean get to see any of the Zelos stuff?

That weight is definitely right in your wheelhouse. Did you and Dean get to see any of the Zelos stuff?

See? Yes. We didn't get to meet with Nippon till 5:30pm at their office due to our crazy schedule.

So we hit nothing, but I went to someone here and tested the entire line.

See? Yes. We didn't get to meet with Nippon till 5:30pm at their office due to our crazy schedule.

So we hit nothing, but I went to someone here and tested the entire line.

The weights on those are WILD for steel. Pretty cool that they can get down in the 70's IMO.

After going a bit too "internet golfer" with the shaft choice last year, I'm firmly staying in that weight range going forward. And these are among my favorites there.

I totally agree....see we can agree!

I was a X100 guy for ever, then went to KBS. But after playing these quite a bit over the last week these shafts are so so good!

my first exposure to nippon was maybe 7 or 8 years ago in a set of magregor pro-c irons that i think were produced for golfsmith. the shaft was 1150gh in stiff flex and came stock. i loved the feeling of that shaft. then a couple years ago i swapped in modus3 120 s flex for the stock dg pro in my bridgeston j15 driving forged irons and loved the explosive feeling with great control. now i have 105 s flex in my z565 irons and it's taken a little adjustment and playing with the loft, but we're getting there. i love what nippon does. higher launch, more active feel, yet fantastic control.

I have the Modus 120 stiff coming in my 576/765 combo set and am looking forward to seeing what this shaft is like. I've never played this brand before so it should be interesting. I'll make sure to pop in here with some thoughts.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I never would have even given Nippon a thought if it wasn't for Club Champion. The Modbus was in a league of its own in regards to reducing spin and reducing launch angle on my irons that it was a total no brainer despite being completely unfamiliar with the shafts.

They are becoming one of my favorite shafts. I spent time with the 105s and love the stability they provided in a lightweight and how smooth they were. Dispersion was really good as well and saw no issues with height. Now I'm see ral range sessions and one round in with the 120 s in the 765s and I said the the thread JB started that the pairing is almost perfect. The weight on the 120 is more along what I'm familiar with and going from 105 to 120 I haven't noticed any difference in feel or stability and ball height visually has remained pretty much the same.

Outside of them being what was in the CB57 and the 765 I highly doubt I would have put them in play and now I may go to them all the time or at least have them be an option in a fitting.

120's are now curing in the 765's again. I'm excited.

120's are now curing in the 765's again. I'm excited.

I've got the 120s in my 565s. Was very surprised to get fit into those.

All the positive comments on THP really make me want to try Nippon!

Nike was on to something when they started using Nippon shafts as Original Equipment back in '12/'13 with the VR Forged. The sleeper irons of the decade were their Covert Forged - also with the 950GH shaft. Just too bad the Nike Golf marketing left something to be desired, probably would have been even more exposure for Nippon several years ago. Anyone thinking of the expensive AeroTech shafts should check out the 950GH...

The last post got me thinking - I actually think the first question I asked on this site was about the Nippon 950 shafts in the VR Forged. So, thankful for those clubs, even though they didn't work for me in the least w/ the super light swingweights in the short irons.

It's not like it is easy to say, next weekend I am going to try/demo the line of Modus shafts! Your lucky of you can find a facility that has an iron with a Nisson shaft in. more lucky if they have room for you to hit on the range. The luckiest if your playing partner has them in his bag.

Back