UST Mamiya Helium Prototype Shafts

Couple of questions for you shaft experts. I've been playing a Coool 5R in my Ping G400 Max head. Untipped at 44.75" long. I hit it very well with a nice ball flight and height. Problem is it looks like it going 300 yards and when I get to my ball it's like 200 yards. I broke my left hand several years ago and now I am reaping the rewards of it. My swing speed is only 88-92 MPH but my spin rate is about 2000 RPM so my ball is like a wounded duck that can't stay up in the air. I borrowed a friends M4 D series driver with a EvenFlow Blue 55 senior flex shaft in it. I hit it very well just no height on the ball flight. I was hitting/rolling it out to 220-230 but definitely was not a fan of the ball flight. I was thinking of the Helium Proto or possibly the new V2 HL so I was looking to see if anyone has hit both and could give me a comparison. Also if I should stick to the regular flex or move to the senior flex. Thanks

I might need to get my hands on one of these to experiment with shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After two years with my Helium, I'm still in love with it. Fantastically stable shaft.

I might need to get my hands on one of these to experiment with shortly.

I think you'd really like it. People think because it's light it must be whippy and high spin and its completely the opposite. According to Danny, the Helium is one of their lowest spinning shafts despite the lightweight profile.

I think you'd really like it. People think because it's light it must be whippy and high spin and its completely the opposite. According to Danny, the Helium is one of their lowest spinning shafts despite the lightweight profile.
There's a reason I've held on to my HeF5

Love this shaft! I have 0 temptation to even experiment with anything else.

This is and will be my gamer for awhile until UST makes a lightweight stable shaft that performs better(not sure if that’s possible) and feels better(again not sure if that is possible) than the HElium! Rocking a slightly heavier version in my 3W which is just as killer as the 5F5 in my driver!

Amazingly smooth feel, medium/high launch, and low spin. What’s not to love?

I’m a big fan, you should enjoy it.

Did Danny mention the difference between the Elements Helium that’s discontinued and the Helium?

I love everything about this - keeping spin in check is critical for me. Typically way too high but the really low spin shafts have been great (but feel like a board!)

Couple of questions for you shaft experts. I've been playing a Coool 5R in my Ping G400 Max head. Untipped at 44.75" long. I hit it very well with a nice ball flight and height. Problem is it looks like it going 300 yards and when I get to my ball it's like 200 yards. I broke my left hand several years ago and now I am reaping the rewards of it. My swing speed is only 88-92 MPH but my spin rate is about 2000 RPM so my ball is like a wounded duck that can't stay up in the air. I borrowed a friends M4 D series driver with a EvenFlow Blue 55 senior flex shaft in it. I hit it very well just no height on the ball flight. I was hitting/rolling it out to 220-230 but definitely was not a fan of the ball flight. I was thinking of the Helium Proto or possibly the new V2 HL so I was looking to see if anyone has hit both and could give me a comparison. Also if I should stick to the regular flex or move to the senior flex. Thanks
Definitely not a shaft expert but I've gamed several that you are asking about. My impression is the V2 HL feels more like the EF Black than the EF Blue. The Blue is a little more active, maybe in the lower third. The V2 has a more stable feel throughout the shaft. (FWIW my impression is the Cool feels active in he middle - just sharing to give you some perspective/context because your experience with the Coool may be different). I am not sure I saw tremendous differences in trajectory between any of them. There's swing variance and swing flaws that influence that, obviously. Another FWIW my SS is low 90s and my CobraConnect measured average drive distance was 233 (including a lot of cold wet winter play).

Definitely not a shaft expert but I've gamed several that you are asking about. My impression is the V2 HL feels more like the EF Black than the EF Blue. The Blue is a little more active, maybe in the lower third. The V2 has a more stable feel throughout the shaft. (FWIW my impression is the Cool feels active in he middle - just sharing to give you some perspective/context because your experience with the Coool may be different). I am not sure I saw tremendous differences in trajectory between any of them. There's swing variance and swing flaws that influence that, obviously. Another FWIW my SS is low 90s and my CobraConnect measured average drive distance was 233 (including a lot of cold wet winter play).

Thanks so much for the insight with the shafts. You are definitely spot on about the Coool feeling active in the middle. I get a very good ball flight but that is with the Ping G400 Max head. I liked the feel of the EF Blue shaft, just did not like the trajectory. Of course that was in an TM M4 head. I just picked up a V2 HL from a guy today to try out. I'll throw a Taylormade tip on it and try it out in the M4 head to see if there is any difference for my swing. Two quick questions for you, Have you tried the Helium out at all and what flex are you using? Thanks again

I'm intrigued by the high launch low spin, and super lightweight combo here.

I may have to try and track one of these down for a few swings.

I'm intrigued by the high launch low spin, and super lightweight combo here.

I may have to try and track one of these down for a few swings.
Come to Iowa City and you can hit mine

Went to the range for the first time back home to put in some work with the Helium. I can honestly say its the best feeling shaft I've hit. It just feels so smooth through the ball. Despite it being lightweight, I can tell that is definitely on the low side for spin. To get my best results I really need to get the right launch angle and get in that 13 or 14 degree range. When I do, its just a great ball flight. Pretty high launch, but a penetrating flight. I will definitely get some roll-out with the setup I'm playing.

Before Shaft Up, I was always intrigued by this one and thought it would fit me well. Looks like I was right on that part. I will say I thought it was a higher spin shaft than it is.

As JDSPGA said above, and he's so dead on and smokes his: Amazingly smooth feel, medium/high launch, and low spin. What’s not to love?

Will be back on the course here this weekend. Can't wait to see how it performs.

Went to the range for the first time back home to put in some work with the Helium. I can honestly say its the best feeling shaft I've hit. It just feels so smooth through the ball. Despite it being lightweight, I can tell that is definitely on the low side for spin. To get my best results I really need to get the right launch angle and get in that 13 or 14 degree range. When I do, its just a great ball flight. Pretty high launch, but a penetrating flight. I will definitely get some roll-out with the setup I'm playing.

Before Shaft Up, I was always intrigued by this one and thought it would fit me well. Looks like I was right on that part. I will say I thought it was a higher spin shaft than it is.

As JDSPGA said above, and he's so dead on and smokes his: Amazingly smooth feel, medium/high launch, and low spin. What’s not to love?

Will be back on the course here this weekend. Can't wait to see how it performs.

Looking forward to seeing it in person. You in a de-facto X-flex just kind of blows my mind, but that is the awesomeness that is Danny Le.

Looking forward to seeing it in person. You in a de-facto X-flex just kind of blows my mind, but that is the awesomeness that is Danny Le.

Will be fun to watch you hit it. Ball will go very far and you'll love the feel.

Will be fun to watch you hit it. Ball will go very far and you'll love the feel.

The Elements Chrome matches the kind of shaft I am currently gaming, but I am intrigued by the Helium for sure.

Come to Iowa City and you can hit mine
Heading your way in about a week. If you can make it stop snowing. I have an interest in the Helium proto shaft. I have an in at Blue Top Ridge now.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Another good range session in the books today. Guy next to me commented on how cool the Helium looked, so it was fun to tell him about Shaft Up and the UST brand. Can't wait to get this thing on the course on Sunday. Will be very fun to have jdtox and tpluff take a few swings with it and get their thoughts since they are both quite a bit faster than me in swing speed. Have no doubt they will be impressed.

Awesome to hear Lions. That is going to be a weapon for you.

Another good range session in the books today. Guy next to me commented on how cool the Helium looked, so it was fun to tell him about Shaft Up and the UST brand. Can't wait to get this thing on the course on Sunday. Will be very fun to have jdtox and tpluff take a few swings with it and get their thoughts since they are both quite a bit faster than me in swing speed. Have no doubt they will be impressed.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but what length are you playing it at?

I am very excited to try this thing out. As a fan of lighter weight X flex driver shafts, my curiosity is high.

Awesome to hear Lions. That is going to be a weapon for you.

You hit your helium really well when you put it in on day 2. Think you should leave it in the bag.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but what length are you playing it at?

I am very excited to try this thing out. As a fan of lighter weight X flex driver shafts, my curiosity is high.

I think its 45.5 but will double check.

You hit your helium really well when you put it in on day 2. Think you should leave it in the bag.

It’s going to get a full workout. I didn’t really hit anything really well on day 2.

Back