slimjim32

Reaction score
Handicap
I was practicing yesterday and my first 50 putts were all relatively good while using my putting plate for proper start line. But as time went on I started to really struggle with my start line. I kept hitting the front right peg telling me my putter face was open at contact. I hit the front pegs maybe twice in the first 50 putts, but I started hitting them every other putt it seemed like after that.

So my question is, when practicing putting, how much is too much? Let's say the average golfer putts 36 times per round, obviously one would want to practice a minimum of 36 putts, but at what number does it become too much? 50? 100? More?

When you start to lose focus! Break up your practice into segments so you don't get bored and lose focus.

jmho

To me there is ‘too much’ of one thing or another. When I practice putting, chipping or range, I break it down into segments. For instance, I hit 5 Sw at one target. Watching each ball and adjusting until I get what I want. Then my next 5 balls are to mimic the one shot from the first 5. Then I switch targets with the same club, trying to mimic that one swing from the first round. I may tweak each swing in order to get that feeling, if I’m not seeing it.

Same goes for putting, I always putt with three balls. My first 9 putts are to find the speed from 10-15’. Then I find a hole and look for three in a row inside 10’. 2/3 from 10-20 and 1/3 over 20’. Does it always happen, nope but it provides variety and time to tweak the stroke. I do not plant myself in one place. My practice is also
Based on time not number of putts or shots. This makes me think about each movement so that I’m practicing with a purpose.

It’s very common for me to have a practice putting session or two each week of 30-60 minutes. Maybe that’s my problem!!:banghead:

I stop once I start to lose focus and just kind of slapping at the putt or feeling like I need to change something haha.

usually about an hour or so

For me it's when I am either mentally or physically unable to hit my best shot. Usually putting I get bored after 5-10 mins, take a quick few minute break and am ready to attack again. On the range when I feel like I am just hitting balls to finish the bucket, I know it's time to either take a break, leave the rest for someone else, or just try silly shots to break the routine of just pounding away.

Paging @mjkladis

There was a group of us discussing this via text just yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find I can only handle a half hour of putting practice. Once my lower back starts to act up I stop. I figure on the course, even at a minute per putt, I'm not going to be in a putting position for more than a half hour. Once I get to 30 minutes, the motion starts to break down.

For me it's when I am either mentally or physically unable to hit my best shot. Usually putting I get bored after 5-10 mins, take a quick few minute break and am ready to attack again. On the range when I feel like I am just hitting balls to finish the bucket, I know it's time to either take a break, leave the rest for someone else, or just try silly shots to break the routine of just pounding away.

Well what I find interesting is my first group of putts were all done in succession. I stopped for dinner (about 20 minutes) then came back ready to work at it again, but just started to struggle after a while.

At least I was able to recognize I wasn’t doing well and hopefully stopped before I ingrained too much of a bad habit

Paging @mjkladis

There was a group of us discussing this via text just yesterday.

Yeah, I practice my putting and chipping but I rarely set out a certain amount of putts. I usually practice my 3-5 footers in a circle around the hole but once I have the feeling I am looking for, I move on. I usually move out to lag putts and try to stop them within that 3 foot circle. That’s rarely from the same spot though.

I usually break up my practice session into parts. 15 minutes of wedge work, 20 minutes on range work, 15 minutes of putting. 2 5 minute breaks between parts. More than that, and its overdoing it. The idea is to instill muscle memory, not body build.

You might putt 36 times a round, but that’s spread out over 4 hours and maybe at most, 3 at a time. Personally I can’t spend that much time hunched over like that, my back would seize up after 10 minutes. Just like regular club work at the range- 4-5 with each club going through pre-shot routine, then a break for a minute or so and move on to the next.
Maybe try breaking up into 10-15 minute intervals with some chipping or something in between? Might release the tension in the arms and back.

I know he doesn't practice 2+ hours straight, but is this too much?

putting.jpg

"...putting, putting, putting"

"with the 15 year old daughter of The Dean..."

With your specific situation, it may be posture related. I notice if I take more than 10 putts without backing away and resetting, my posture starts to settle. Even a good putting position would be hard to hold for too long without a kink getting tossed in somewhere. Walk around some, and keep at it. I don't think there's such a thing as too many putts, but I think holding one position for too long without a break is a real thing.

Back