Pulling with left hand into impact

Carolina Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone use the method of pulling with your left hand (rightie) into impact? I am a sr and less flexible golfer and my pro is ok with this approach. However, it leads to a few snap hooks or pushes when my body doesn't rotate through. Anyone work with this method and have a way of taming the hook?

I've started working on this myself, but only with 7i & below. Anything longer than that & there's a high probability that I snap it left also.

I've found it helps to think of the back of my left hand traveling out to 1:00 (assuming the aiming point was 12:00). That prevents me pulling it across my body, which is what I think causes the snaps.

I used to think of using my left arm to power the swing, but have recently changed to the swing thought of using my right hand, instead. I almost attempt to envision holding a flat stone, and skipping it across a pond. This has really allowed me to change my swing path from Out-to-In (with a big fade, or even block out to the right) to an In-to-Out path. In addition, I'm now able to use more of my legs, hips, and core to rotate through the swing, which has also created a lot more powerful, and easier swing.

I'm still working on my sequencing of my forward swing from the top, but feel that my hand positions is now moving well down-the-line, and are in a good position at impact.

-Bishop

I'm a right-hander playing lefty. So there's always a temptation for my dominant (right) hand to overpower the trail hand. I would never actually try to "pull", even when I do that accidentally it is a very bad thing.

Guess it's the one way I'm like Hogan. I want to get as much power out of that bottom hand (trail hand) as possible, short of rolling the club over into a hook swing.

I used to think of using my left arm to power the swing, but have recently changed to the swing thought of using my right hand, instead. I almost attempt to envision holding a flat stone, and skipping it across a pond. This has really allowed me to change my swing path from Out-to-In (with a big fade, or even block out to the right) to an In-to-Out path. In addition, I'm now able to use more of my legs, hips, and core to rotate through the swing, which has also created a lot more powerful, and easier swing.

I'm still working on my sequencing of my forward swing from the top, but feel that my hand positions is now moving well down-the-line, and are in a good position at impact.

-Bishop

I like that stone-skipping feeling. Especially on wedge shots, where I tend to get a bit steep and flippy. I imagine using that bottom/trail hand to skip the club across the ground like a stone on a pond.

I like that stone-skipping feeling. Especially on wedge shots, where I tend to get a bit steep and flippy. I imagine using that bottom/trail hand to skip the club across the ground like a stone on a pond.

In addition to helping add power, smoothness, and weight distribution, I've found that the skipping stone thought also helps me to maintain connection to my body with my trail elbow. This also leads into the Hogan "Five Lessons", where Mr. Hogan talks about wishing he had "three right hands" to put as much energy behind the clubhead as possible.

-Bishop

If I’m understanding what you mean by pulling the left hand, it likely results in an open club face at impact if your body stalls out and you more or less flip to save it.

If that is what you are seeing, a stronger grip and less rotation might solve some issue but could create plenty more.

If I’m understanding what you mean by pulling the left hand, it likely results in an open club face at impact if your body stalls out and you more or less flip to save it.

If that is what you are seeing, a stronger grip and less rotation might solve some issue but could create plenty more.

Thanks, Molten. Yes, my body stalls and it's a flip. But, a powerful one. I am trying to aim more right which helps. Also, it's weird that certain clubs (heavenwood and 3 wood) go straight.

Back