Requesting a swing critique, please

InHartWeTrust

Ball Go Far.
Reaction score
Handicap
4-5ish

Here is a driver swing from earlier this week practicing on the Trackman. I am currently working on:

1) "sitting" or "squatting" more at the top of my transition, but this video is on day #1 of working on that -- the intent is to stop driving off my right toe so much (instead of my instep)
2) getting my hands more inside on the takeaway, and the club then working more upward, earlier in my backswing

Freddie, if you could call out the top 1 or 2 things you think I should place focus on, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
It looks like you are taking the club outside on the backswing. As my pro says, this is wasted motion. He has me standing further from the ball and in practice intentionally bring the club more inside.

It looks like you are taking the club outside on the backswing. As my pro says, this is wasted motion. He has me standing further from the ball and in practice intentionally bring the club more inside.

Right, I do usually end up getting on plane (I train with the Swingyde occasionally) by the time my hands are hip level or so, but that was my callout in #2 in the OP — need to improve my takeaway to get more inside and then working upwards, quicker. When I get off plane, my club/shaft gets too flat and I miss catching my wrist with the Swingyde, I assume bc I get the club outside and then working too much back around my body.

Current state is a slight improvement from a week or so ago, when I started focusing on “fixing” it, but still a ways to go. It FEELS to me like I am coming SO far inside now, then I look at the video and think “What the hell?!”

I’m chipping away at it slowly to make sure I don’t completely throw my swing off track. Will continue forcing myself more and more inside, and adjusting my feel for the clubpath accordingly.

I do believe this and utilizing ground force better to take advantage of my width should be my top 2 focuses, but I’m not an expert. I’m getting 119-123mph on SS, but I feel like with better ground force utilization, I can increase that even more and get a more consistent release into the ball by creating more room for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If useful, Freddie, here is a 7 iron from today. I think I'm slowly chipping away at the "get inside on takeaway".

Looking forward to you feedback.

Have you got a face on view of your swing? Just get the feeling that you are putting a lot more weight pressure on your left leg at the top of the your backswing. Which could explain why you have an early 'spin-out' of your right hip in the early downswing (for your driver), plus early extension which traps your right elbow more down your right side rather than allowing you to optimally use a pitch elbow action above your right hip. The knock-on effect is that you are unable to get your right shoulder moving downplane closer to the ball so you have to extend your right arm earlier (otherwise you will run out of right arm in the late downswing). This means an early release of the club (ie. angle between shaft and left arm will increase too early), clubhead speed peaks well before impact, a straightening of the right wrist before impact which can cause the clubface to flip/close.

Imho, you just need to improve you pivot action and weight pressure load on your right hip/leg in the backswing and early downswing (from P4-P5 as you square your pelvis using contraction of pelvic girdle rotary muscles).

Have you got a face on view of your swing? Just get the feeling that you are putting a lot more weight pressure on your left leg at the top of the your backswing. Which could explain why you have an early 'spin-out' of your right hip in the early downswing (for your driver), plus early extension which traps your right elbow more down your right side rather than allowing you to optimally use a pitch elbow action above your right hip. The knock-on effect is that you are unable to get your right shoulder moving downplane closer to the ball so you have to extend your right arm earlier (otherwise you will run out of right arm in the late downswing). This means an early release of the club (ie. angle between shaft and left arm will increase too early), clubhead speed peaks well before impact, a straightening of the right wrist before impact which can cause the clubface to flip/close.

Imho, you just need to improve you pivot action and weight pressure load on your right hip/leg in the backswing and early downswing (from P4-P5 as you square your pelvis using contraction of pelvic girdle rotary muscles).

Thanks for the feedback, I will have to get a head-on camera set up next time I go to the facility...only a few of the bays are wide enough for that, so I will request one of them next time to follow up here.

Using the foot weight heat map (can't recall the real name of it?) in the past at the facility showed proper weight shift to the back foot on my backswing, but that may have changed with some of the other swing changes I've been focusing on recently. Looking at the video, it definitely appears to be a bit different looking than it was in the past. When I looked at it before, weight shift back was good, but I drove too much off of my right toe rather than instep -- which I am having a hell of a time fixing after doing this for over a decade haha.

Here is a good video that explains how one should rotate the pelvis and hip joints in a more optimal way. He's got some exercises that might help identify the pelvic lateral girdle muscles that you should feel stretch and contract in the backswing and early downswing. Note that the contraction of these muscles are exhausted by the time your pelvis is square to the target line in the early downswing. So to keep turning the pelvis for the rest of the downswing the following muscles take over
1. Left Knee extensors
2. Left gluteus maximus
3. Left adductor magnus muscle

Too complicated to explain here how each muscle functions but you can see how your left and right leg extends to keep pushing your hip joints around.

Last edited:
Here is a good video that explains how one should rotate the pelvis and hip joints in a more optimal way. He's got some exercises that might help identify the pelvic lateral girdle muscles that you should feel stretch and contract in the backswing and early downswing. Note that the contraction of these muscles are exhausted by the time your pelvis is square to the target line in the early downswing. So to keep turning the pelvis for the rest of the downswing the following muscles take over
1. Left Knee extensors
2. Left gluteus maximus
3. Left adductor magnus muscle

Too complicated to explain here how each muscle functions but you can see how your left and right leg extends to keep pushing your hip joints around.

[video=youtube;xFjy6CH_tPE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFjy6CH_tPE

That “rotate/drive your right leg clockwise” feel from the video was a very nice thought for me today in my working session on the Trackman. Slow progress being made on that, but it’s a good start. Definitely a new move/feeling for me.

Unfortunately the Trackman report errored out when sending today’s report, and didn’t include any videos for me to share. Hoping to go back tomorrow and will get some from that session.

Thanks for the feedback, I will have to get a head-on camera set up next time I go to the facility...only a few of the bays are wide enough for that, so I will request one of them next time to follow up here.

Using the foot weight heat map (can't recall the real name of it?) in the past at the facility showed proper weight shift to the back foot on my backswing, but that may have changed with some of the other swing changes I've been focusing on recently. Looking at the video, it definitely appears to be a bit different looking than it was in the past. When I looked at it before, weight shift back was good, but I drove too much off of my right toe rather than instep -- which I am having a hell of a time fixing after doing this for over a decade haha.

You are from Columbus, so I cannot help you growing up above you lol ;)

looking forward to freddie chiming in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Your swing looks pretty solid to me. Maybe Freddie an give it slight tweak, but , you are looking prtty good.

That “rotate/drive your right leg clockwise” feel from the video was a very nice thought for me today in my working session on the Trackman. Slow progress being made on that, but it’s a good start. Definitely a new move/feeling for me.

Unfortunately the Trackman report errored out when sending today’s report, and didn’t include any videos for me to share. Hoping to go back tomorrow and will get some from that session.

Reached out and had them resend me the report, here is an 8 iron.

Awdg5wA4Mxw

Minor improvement on the back foot for day 1, felt like a hell of a lot more than shows on the video. Still a ways to go. Carried 181 dead on line though, so at least there's that....but I'd love to gain a little more efficiency and add some power.

Reached out and had them resend me the report, here is an 8 iron.

Awdg5wA4Mxw

Minor improvement on the back foot for day 1, felt like a hell of a lot more than shows on the video. Still a ways to go. Carried 181 dead on line though, so at least there's that....but I'd love to gain a little more efficiency and add some power.

Just remember, there is no one perfect swing. From what I remember when learning when younger is to imagine a tennis racket in your hand and as you go back the face is facing forward entirely like the face of the club; as you swing through the back should be showing just as a tennis racket. We all have different bodies and torso's longer and legs shorter or vice versa, so don't over think it. Take some advice but make it yours and if it works on the course then stick with it. I know with any sport that greatness and consistency comes with time

GO BLUE ;)

Another 8 iron, looks like I stayed down a bit better on this one with the right foot. 191 carry, so definitely translated to more power...need to get to this as my baseline, and then keep improving from there.

Just remember, there is no one perfect swing. From what I remember when learning when younger is to imagine a tennis racket in your hand and as you go back the face is facing forward entirely like the face of the club; as you swing through the back should be showing just as a tennis racket. We all have different bodies and torso's longer and legs shorter or vice versa, so don't over think it. Take some advice but make it yours and if it works on the course then stick with it. I know with any sport that greatness and consistency comes with time

GO BLUE ;)

Yes, definitely. Never perfect and rarely close to it. Oddly enough when I was scratch (over a decade ago now), I had no coaching and never worked on my swing...just played daily. Luckily, even after 5+ years of no golf following that, and only playing sporadically in the years following (a handful of times last year), I've got a decent natural movement to start with. Now I just need to make minor improvements over time to try to eek out some better performance or consistency. Luckily I do enjoy grinding and working on my swing via practice, trackman, etc.

Back