6 HDC struggling with weight transfer...any help appreciated

AmberLamps

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm a casual golfer these days, now with 2 kids so don't get much time to work on swing, I have always struggled with weight transfer and not sure how to fix this. I can hit the ball well enough to maintain a 6-hdc but I feel if I can fix my weight transfer issues and get a good finish on my front foot and follow through I can drastically improve consistency.

Driver average distance is 280-300 yds (Denver 5280 alt) but feel im leaving a bunch out there.

My miss is a left tug or overdraw...

I'm a casual golfer these days, now with 2 kids so don't get much time to work on swing, I have always struggled with weight transfer and not sure how to fix this. I can hit the ball well enough to maintain a 6-hdc but I feel if I can fix my weight transfer issues and get a good finish on my front foot and follow through I can drastically improve consistency.

Driver average distance is 280-300 yds (Denver 5280 alt) but feel im leaving a bunch out there.

My miss is a left tug or overdraw...

Not a pro, flat backswing, maybe that effects it, reverse pivot, maybe? Yes, you are hanging back on the through swing. Since, you have a lot of fire power, why not hit a 3 wood?

I really like this video and I think you could definitely get something from it to help you... Especially the shoe box drill.

https://youtu.be/LedM4ub8QuM

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have no idea what are causing your issues.

For me, when it feels like I'm falling all over the place during my swing, I'll shift my weight to my lead(left) foot before my back swing and try to keep it there throughout the swing. Helps me with my balance....ymmv.

Good luck!

I would suggest looking up drills on unweighting the left foot in the back swing. Most instruction doesnt focus on the fact that for every action there is an opposite reaction. Think about if you were trying to throw the ball to your target, would you throw off your back foot or step toward the target.... You have to try to focus on the best way for you to make an athletic move towards the direction that you want the ball to go..... the easiest thing to do is try and lift left heel off the ground in backswing and feel like your body is raising about 2 inches up.. this will help with pivot and getting weight back. from there simply replant your left foot and start rotating. this will get weight back down and to your left side, just takes some practice.

The other one that helps but can be a little unconventional is look up range basket/or basketball type drill. this is where you keep basket between legs on the backswing and then work on seperating legs to start transition by dropping the basket. Start turning from there (plenty of videos on Youtube for this drill)

These are a little more unconventional but promise they work

Just a drive-by comment...

If you are a 6 handicap hitting 300 yd drives, we need to chat about what 'struggling...' means...:)

If you are a 6 handicap hitting 300 yd drives, we need to chat about what 'struggling...' means...:)

I'm in Denver 5280 altitude....

Hi AmberLamps

There is nothing wrong with moving weight pressure to your right leg into/through impact (Justin Thomas and possibly Bubba have more weight pressure on their right leg at impact).

In fact there seems to be 2 category of golfers , Front Foot and Reverse Foot golfers. See graph below showing research results by Dr Kevin Ball conducting tests on weight pressure on a large sample of golfers.

You might actually be a 'Reverse Foot' golfer !!!

In his 389-page PhD thesis paper, Kevin Ball reviews all the previously published research studies performed on weight transfer in the full golf swing, which were handicapped by small sample sizes and which only obtained force-pressure (COP) measurements at a few time points during the swing action (eg. P1, P4 and P7 positions). His weight transfer research project was much better than all the previous research studies because
i) he had a larger sample size of 62 golfers (of varying handicap, and consisting of both amateur and professional golfers), and because
ii) he obtained COP measurements at many more time points during the backswing and downswing and early followthrough, and because
iii) he used the advanced statistical technique of cluster analysis.

c3lhvf6pe1i5.png

BallWeighShiftOne.jpg

BallWeighShiftOne.jpg

BallWeighShiftOne.jpg

BallWeighShiftOne.jpg

Swing events are recorded on the X axis. TA = Address; MB = Mid-backswing; LB = Late backswing; TB = End-backswing; ED = Early downswing; MD = Mid-downswing; BC = Ball contact (impact); MF = Mid-followthrough. Note that I have added in red the equivalent P positions that are positionally equal to those swing events.

COP measurements are on the Y axis, and they are expressed as a percentage where 100% is all the COP-measurement being recorded under the lead (front) foot.

The final result of Kevin Ball's cluster analysis technique (an advanced statistical technique described in the paper) demonstrated that the 62 golfers could really be divided into two different weight-transfer groups, which Kevin Ball arbitrarily labelled the front foot group (which consisted of 39 golfers) and the reverse group (which consisted of 19 golfers). There was no statistical difference in the overall balance of handicap levels, amateur-versus-professional golfers, and the "average" maximum clubhead speed at impact between the two cluster groups.

Last edited:
Hi AmberLamps

There is nothing wrong with moving weight pressure to your right leg into/through impact (Justin Thomas and possibly Bubba have more weight pressure on their right leg at impact).

In fact there seems to be 2 category of golfers , Front Foot and Reverse Foot golfers. See graph below showing research results by Dr Kevin Ball conducting tests on weight pressure on a large sample of golfers.

You might actually be a 'Reverse Foot' golfer !!!

In his 389-page PhD thesis paper, Kevin Ball reviews all the previously published research studies performed on weight transfer in the full golf swing, which were handicapped by small sample sizes and which only obtained force-pressure (COP) measurements at a few time points during the swing action (eg. P1, P4 and P7 positions). His weight transfer research project was much better than all the previous research studies because
i) he had a larger sample size of 62 golfers (of varying handicap, and consisting of both amateur and professional golfers), and because
ii) he obtained COP measurements at many more time points during the backswing and downswing and early followthrough, and because
iii) he used the advanced statistical technique of cluster analysis.

c3lhvf6pe1i5.png

BallWeighShiftOne.jpg

BallWeighShiftOne.jpg

BallWeighShiftOne.jpg

BallWeighShiftOne.jpg

Swing events are recorded on the X axis. TA = Address; MB = Mid-backswing; LB = Late backswing; TB = End-backswing; ED = Early downswing; MD = Mid-downswing; BC = Ball contact (impact); MF = Mid-followthrough. Note that I have added in red the equivalent P positions that are positionally equal to those swing events.

COP measurements are on the Y axis, and they are expressed as a percentage where 100% is all the COP-measurement being recorded under the lead (front) foot.

The final result of Kevin Ball's cluster analysis technique (an advanced statistical technique described in the paper) demonstrated that the 62 golfers could really be divided into two different weight-transfer groups, which Kevin Ball arbitrarily labelled the front foot group (which consisted of 39 golfers) and the reverse group (which consisted of 19 golfers). There was no statistical difference in the overall balance of handicap levels, amateur-versus-professional golfers, and the "average" maximum clubhead speed at impact between the two cluster groups.

Interesting, thanks for the stats.

You can actually test if you are front, centre or reverse foot golfer.

Hit some shots using the front one-legged drill , feet together , rear one-legged drill .

Find out which drill has minimum impact on your balance for a full swing.

He plays at altitude, should be hitting it 350 at least :alien:

My best guess at what is going on here with the angle available is that you have an open face coming into impact that causes you to hang back to allow the hands to race to close the face. It also looks like a slowdown of your rotation.

Take my read with a grain of salt - I’m no swing wizard.

Back