Incremental gains at the range

Jeepsk8

Reaction score
Handicap
beats me
Short background, I'm returning to the game after an almost 20 year hiatus. Wasn't very good back then, really not much good now. I bought a used set of Ping i3 blades 3-PW off of ebay. The Ping bag (used up, really) had in it as well a Ping G5 driver, a Callaway Steelhead III 3w and a TopFlight 60* lob wedge. I was killing the drive when I first got the clubs, but that honeymoon soon ended and every manner of bad trait showed up. I have played a few dismal rounds and numerous trips to the driving range have revealed to me I need more practice. I have viewed so many YT videos it makes me dizzy. So I decided I need to prioritize what I'm watching on YT. Started at the fundamental grip. I had that all kinds of jacked up, now I'm cognizant of what I'm doing with that, fixed. Watched a video that highlighted aiming club face to the target, then aligning my body to that...works. Another video or 3 on weight transfer and swinging within your body to eliminate lateral movement...work in progress.

My miss with the driver tends to be a high fade and hitting too high on the club face towards the toe. I figure I need to get the club face more square at impact, if I can fix that the fade should diminish and better contact point should follow.

Today I started with the lob wedge. Concentrating on hitting on target (straight) and getting solid contact. It took a few pokes but I accomplished that. Went to the PW, same Idea, same result. Jumped to the 7 iron and I had a bear of a time making solid contact. My miss was hitting it too thin / skulling it. What the hey!? I went through a bucket of balls with that club trying to get it right. Finally had good hits the last 3 balls. Uggh. I went and go another bucket of balls because I was't done. I don't know what I was thinking but out came the 3 iron. I know long irons are hard to hit, and I proved it. But after a dozen or so balls I was making good contact but slicing. I extinguished the rest of the bucket with the driver. By the time I was done I was making decent contact but the ball was either low and or fading (almost a slice). So I would say this was a good range trip.

I worked on my fundamentals, and I got instant feedback when I did it wrong. I have enough knowledge to sorta fix them. What I don't have is a buddy to watch my swing or really any way to record it. I always feel somewhat out of control on the backswing and I can tell that there is something amiss. What it is exactly, I don't know. I know I need to consciously remind myself to relax, nice and slow back, then it all goes awry. I have a feeling my hips are beating my hands to impact unless I really think about it. 90% in the brain, lol.

Anyway, I feel that through this forum and some selective YT watching, I'm coming along. I need golf buddies!:banghead::banghead:

hope you find some golf buddies, what part of country you in?

Weird thing, but two options; 1, you might be able to modify a gopro device to fasten your phone to your bag and let you record...or if your driving range is big enough, might find a place that you can rest your phone to record. There is one specific place at our local range I can do that out of something like 50 bays so it may take some looking.

Ordered the clamp on phone holder thingy. Thank you for that!

Ordered the clamp on phone holder thingy. Thank you for that!

No problem, I also use v1 golf app to video and analyze.

Like your handle Jeepsk8, took me a sec to figure it out LOL but might put it on my jeep as its license plate

No problem, I also use v1 golf app to video and analyze.

Like your handle Jeepsk8, took me a sec to figure it out LOL but might put it on my jeep as its license plate
Had it on my plate in NC, but not since I moved here to OK.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back