Why Swing To Right Feild?

DonMega

Reaction score
Handicap
Kept hearing that. Tried it. Worked ok. Then it became blocks and pushes. Really like my ball striking now. It feels over the top. On video it tells another story. Kind of like a Justin Rose pull down and drive thru. Anyway. That’s all I got. F hitting it to right field lol. Oh I’m a RH GOLFER BTW

If someone has an over the top swing, swinging to right field will take it out of that path.

I’m working through some of this with my instructor right now. If it starts to be blocks and pushes you need to make sure you close the club face. Face and path need to match. If you’re a bit OTT less closure works since the path is going left.

I went from hitting slight pull fades to push draws in a couple lessons.

If someone has an over the top swing, swinging to right field will take it out of that path.

Yeah, someone whose club gets trapped way behind them is not necessarily going to want to think "swing to right field"!

For my first few years playing my swing was way too steep and, yes, somewhat OTT. More so with the driver.

I remember the first time I heard a good player talk about having a swing thought with the driver of splitting wood with an axe I thought it was the craziest thing I ever heard. I was trying NOT to swing like that. But he had the opposite problem and was working to avoid getting the driver trapped behind him.

Ive been getting below plane/trapped for a few weeks. Swinging to right field only made it worse. I finally figured this out yesterday. I’m now trying to chop wood, or throwing my hands out, and I’m hitting a slight fade. I’m sure I will over correct and start cutting across the ball to much, but that’s a whole lot easier to fix then getting below plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use this method since my last lesson the focus was that in to out golf swing but has me aiming a little further right to get that draw going.

It only works if I square the club face properly because unfortunately I could still fan them out to the right if the club face is open and of course the dreaded hook if I really try to add some giddy-up.

I support this method of swinging to right field as it helps me extend my arms throughout the swing but I still think a lot of it is timing.

if it's a block or push that maintains its start line rather than continuing to curve, you are probably swinging in-to-out with a face that is square to your path. you can maintain the path, but just need to close the face a bit at impact and you'll see the draw most of us love so much. you can strengthen your grip a bit, or close the face a bit at address, or just try to visualize the face shutting down at impact.

the problem i see is that you don't know why your swing is yielding this result. it could be that you have a neutral path and face, and your alignment is off. or honestly any other number of reasons.

only good way is to get with an instructor who can diagnose for you.

One difficulty you can run into with that move is shanking the ball. When you try to take a normal backswing where the club is parallel with your stance line at waist high, and then try to hit to right field, it tends to make you reach for the ball.

One difficulty you can run into with that move is shanking the ball. When you try to take a normal backswing where the club is parallel with your stance line at waist high, and then try to hit to right field, it tends to make you reach for the ball.

You can't really shank a ball with a driver, but if I consciously picture swinging from the inside and hitting a draw I will often catch one in the neck pretty bad. Ugly, ugly shots.

Back