Beginner slice issue

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP! Slice? Welcome to golf! Lessons, lessons, lessons!

Welcome, I'd agree with lessons. I've played for 30+ years and wished I tried lessons sooner. When looking at your video, the pro confirms some good things about your swing and not so good. I am a fellow hacker. But, something that pops out to me is that your left knee and hand arms collapse on the backswing. Work with a pro to sort that out. If money is an issue, golf galaxy has an affordable "3-pack".

If you're just not going to get lessons. I get it. I have been there. There is some equipment that will help. Get Launcher HB irons my Cleveland. It's pretty much a slice proof club.

Thank you for the response... I have no issue getting a trainer if i can find one locally, really just wanted to see how close i was and how i could atleast get the ball traveling down the fairway instead of right lol...

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the response... I have no issue getting a trainer if i can find one locally, really just wanted to see how close i was and how i could atleast get the ball traveling down the fairway instead of right lol...

The traditional method is to play off tee boxes with 9-iron, 8-iron, 7-iron etc... Until the player can strike consistently straight shots with the high lofted irons, it does not make good sense to swing the longer shafted-lower lofted clubs.

The traditional method is to play off tee boxes with 9-iron, 8-iron, 7-iron etc... Until the player can strike consistently straight shots with the high lofted irons, it does not make good sense to swing the longer shafted-lower lofted clubs.

I would say that is the more prudent approach but traditional? not so much. I can count on zero fingers the number of people picking up the game I have seen eschewing the driver. I cannot count on all my fingers and toes the ones who, picking up the game, slice into the tulips on virtually every tee box with the driver.

Even picking up the game most people would rather swing poorly and wildly with the driver than poorly and wildly with a 9-iron and they will hit crap shots with both. Note that I agree what they SHOULD do is what you have suggested, the distance portion of the equation tells us it will not go as far off line or get in as much trouble...but it is not what most people do because for them it is more fun to go with the club with more potential distance.

For that matter, many of us who have played longer and theoretically can swing a club would benefit sometimes when our swing deserts us with teeing off with an 8i on a 600 yard par 5...but don't for much of the same reason.

I would say that is the more prudent approach but traditional? not so much. I can count on zero fingers the number of people picking up the game I have seen eschewing the driver. I cannot count on all my fingers and toes the ones who, picking up the game, slice into the tulips on virtually every tee box with the driver.

Even picking up the game most people would rather swing poorly and wildly with the driver than poorly and wildly with a 9-iron and they will hit crap shots with both. Note that I agree what they SHOULD do is what you have suggested, the distance portion of the equation tells us it will not go as far off line or get in as much trouble...but it is not what most people do because for them it is more fun to go with the club with more potential distance.

For that matter, many of us who have played longer and theoretically can swing a club would benefit sometimes when our swing deserts us with teeing off with an 8i on a 600 yard par 5...but don't for much of the same reason.

For the word "traditional" I mean going back decades, when it was common for teaching pros to direct a beginning player towards lessons, driving ranges, and par 3 courses.

I'm a newer player and have a bad slice with my driver. I'm looking for ways to adjust my driver swing to fix the slice without fundamentally affecting my iron swing as I have finally been hitting very consistent shots with my irons. Anyone have suggestions on how to make slice adjustments to the driver swing that will not hinder the progress I have made with my irons?

Thanks!

Good contact but slice right 90 percent of the time

Couple points, take them FWIW.

Slow down your backswing. I use "Sweet Potato Pie". Backswing is "Sweet Potato", and downswing is "Pie".

Second, watch the impact, not the ball flight. Try to watch your club hitting the ball, rather than looking out for the flight.

Those two helped me.

But as others have said, lessons, and practice, will help the most.

A slice is caused by bringing the club outside on the backswing and slicing across the ball at impact. Put a line of 2-3 tees directly behind the ball and make a point to bring the club head straight back or a little inside that line.

I found that to fix my slice all I have to do is turn my club while I'm on my downswing, it helps to make my club face be square instead of open.

Back