Smashfactor - knee pain

PowerThrust

Reaction score
Handicap
So, to order the right shafts in my new Hogans, I got a club fitting about a month ago.

I consider myself a good ball striker with average distances. PW about 115-120, 7i about 155-160.

At the fitting I learned that even at 44, some back issues and back flexibility, I still generate decent club head speed, 7i - 95mph, but my AoA is steep, -8* to -6*. With that AoA, my smashfactor/efficiency numbers are low, like 1.20 on the best swings, resulting in carry of roughly 158.

So, to improve my AoA, I tried to maintain a slightly more forward ball position and concentrate on keeping my sternum behind the ball, or over at worst. In doing so, within a week, I starting getting pain in my left knee/top of the shin bone. Patellar tendonitis that I just started noticing this summer for the first time ever. But my attempt at staying back on my shots has noticeably aggravated it.

So I realize I'd probably need to upload some swings, or even better yet, visit a pro, but anybody on here have any thoughts on this?

In the meantime, due to the discomfort, I'm just living with the ball striking the way it is and I'm not displeased with it, but we're always supposed to try and get better, right?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

First, 95 with an iron is higher than the tour averages and like the top 1% of speed across all golfers. So congrats on that.

Second, maybe moving the ball foreword has you transferring your weight better or even excessively which puts added strain on your left knee. That’s assuming you play right handed and the left knee is your lead knee that you post into.

If so, video could help to determine if you are sliding. You could also limit how much time you spend on the range hitting golf balls. You might also try flaring the left foot out to relieve some of the torque it receives during your swing.

My initial thought is that for both immediate and down the line body health, you'd probably benefit from shallowing out your swing some. Getting to that swing speed with the AoA you are indicating, you must be putting a tremendous load on your front leg. Shallowing out will get more of that energy down the line versus into the ground. But again, as CRW said, a video could help.

First, 95 with an iron is higher than the tour averages and like the top 1% of speed across all golfers. So congrats on that.

Second, maybe moving the ball foreword has you transferring your weight better or even excessively which puts added strain on your left knee. That’s assuming you play right handed and the left knee is your lead knee that you post into.

If so, video could help to determine if you are sliding. You could also limit how much time you spend on the range hitting golf balls. You might also try flaring the left foot out to relieve some of the torque it receives during your swing.
I appreciate the feedback. I also appreciate that 95mph is fast, and nobody was more surprised about that than I, especially given that I don't hit it that far and due to a lack in flexibility, I don't swing that far back at my age...

I have tinkered with trying to open my left foot a bit (right handed golfer), but end up losing all kinds of directional control. Have the most success in both drives and iron shots keeping me left for more it less square at address... For what it's worth, it does flare out done as I swing thru.

I'm out sure I do slide/sway forward some on most swings (did that today off the tee and hit it OB right).

At this point considering going to a different fitter just to get a second opinion.

Thanks again. I'll work on getting a video or two up in the next few days.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Back