“Over the top” swing remedies

Danimal

AKA "Dee-Animal"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
~10
I had a nightmare weekend with my swing and was hitting every iron low and left. I was trying everything to no avail. I spoke with the pro that I take lessons with and he told me I was coming over the top and slamming the club face closed and de-lofting the club. I finally got the hang of what I was doing and started to strike the ball better and wrote my notes down for any future bouts with this. Has anyone had a swing fault show up out of the blue like this? Not really sure what caused it but it threw me for a loop. I have a feeling I started to try to hit the ball harder instead of swinging faster.

I have been working with a Triple Track golf ball and aiming the lines towards the first base line off the tee. Hopefully that visual makes sense. Truthfully any golf ball would work, I just happen to see the larger blue and red on the tee easier. It has worked very well for me to work on swinging to that area, rather than the opposite, which is my over the top move.

Danimal;n8875450 said:
I had a nightmare weekend with my swing and was hitting every iron low and left. I was trying everything to no avail. I spoke with the pro that I take lessons with and he told me I was coming over the top and slamming the club face closed and de-lofting the club. I finally got the hang of what I was doing and started to strike the ball better and wrote my notes down for any future bouts with this. Has anyone had a swing fault show up out of the blue like this? Not really sure what caused it but it threw me for a loop. I have a feeling I started to try to hit the ball harder instead of swinging faster.

"Over the top" down swing is a consequence of a faulty back swing, which is directly related to address position technique (grip-posture-alignment).

JB;n8875463 said:
I have been working with a Triple Track golf ball and aiming the lines towards the first base line off the tee. Hopefully that visual makes sense. Truthfully any golf ball would work, I just happen to see the larger blue and red on the tee easier. It has worked very well for me to work on swinging to that area, rather than the opposite, which is my over the top move.

That does make sense. I finally got the feeling right last night. I will try to keep that thought in my head until it becomes natural.

JB;n8875463 said:

I can remember trying that type of thing a while back and totally forgot about it, I'll try that with the model line on the truvis the next round.

I like Shawn Clements visual of over the top as splitting wood, while the ideal in to out path should feel more like you are slicing through bamboo with a sword or hammering a nail into a post. Both of which can provide that feeling of swinging to 1st base/right field that JB mentioned. Though, if you are visualizing a baseball field you’d be better off hitting to the 2nd basemen for a draw and the shortstop for a fade.

You could also imagine a sidearmed throw of the club/ball. Most of these “tasks” will help improve the backswing as well. I don’t agree that over the top is always caused by posture/grip/alignment, but they can certainly be a cause (e.g., shallow backswing leading to a steep downswing).

Thanks for the tips. I will check out SC on YouTube. When I played baseball, I usually hit to right center so I just need to backtrack 30 years and remember that:).

Following because I'm going through this right now and have been for about 2 months. I know what I'm doing, but can't figure out why I'm doing it or when it crept in. I think I might have it remedied but I haven't gotten to the range because it's 108* today.

I sometimes get a box irons or a driver or whatever was shipped in to use as a training aid. You can usually get one from any pro shop. I lay it down like an alignment stick on the range and put the ball within about 2 inches of the box between me and the box. Hit the ball not the box. It seems to help me.

JB;n8875463 said:

This is awesome idea. You're absolutely right that any alignment aid would do the trick. I've been struggling with OTT again (after being sure I had cured myself) lately, and I'm going to give this a try.

I have been struggling with this the last few rounds. I also have used the ball trick and it is a good visual that does help me.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Danimal;n8875450 said:
This happened to me late last year, and I'm still trying to eliminate it. For me, it was two things: (1) taking my backswing too far inside, leaving me no choice but to come OTT; and (2) tempo. I've mostly eliminated (1) using alignment sticks, but I still get too quick with my hands on the downswing, which causes me to get the club too far outside, leading to toe hooks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JMB3;n8875921 said:
This happened to me late last year, and I'm still trying to eliminate it. For me, it was two things: (1) taking my backswing too far inside, leaving me no choice but to come OTT; and (2) tempo. I've mostly eliminated (1) using alignment sticks, but I still get too quick with my hands on the downswing, which causes me to get the club too far outside, leading to toe hooks.

That sounds about right....Toe hooks galore. Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it. I definitely have a tempo issue.

JB;n8875463 said:

And this alone is going to get me to try them sooner than later. Solid idea.

My issue with OTT is not getting my lower body going ahead of the upper and the arms race ahead and wham a closed club face sending shots to the left. Some back and hip issues make it tough at times to properly rotate the hips. I find if I slow down and shorten the back swing it helps get the sequencing right and better ball contact.

jhtr20;n8876007 said:
My issue with OTT is not getting my lower body going ahead of the upper and the arms race ahead and wham a closed club face sending shots to the left. Some back and hip issues make it tough at times to properly rotate the hips. I find if I slow down and shorten the back swing it helps get the sequencing right and better ball contact.
Preach! Me to a T at the moment.

Played 9 after work and had a great day using the swing to right field method. What a difference that made. Struck my irons great today. Trying to get this move ingrained.

My guy had me put a quarter on the ground behind the ball, about 18 inches. My task was to always try to keep the club head low until it at least past over the quarter. Easier with driver and woods ...but...keeps me from lifting the club on the back swing. Do I forget? Yup?

-CRW-;n8875524 said:
I like Shawn Clements visual of over the top as splitting wood, while the ideal in to out path should feel more like you are slicing through bamboo with a sword or hammering a nail into a post. Both of which can provide that feeling of swinging to 1st base/right field that JB mentioned. Though, if you are visualizing a baseball field you’d be better off hitting to the 2nd basemen for a draw and the shortstop for a fade.

You could also imagine a sidearmed throw of the club/ball. Most of these “tasks” will help improve the backswing as well. I don’t agree that over the top is always caused by posture/grip/alignment, but they can certainly be a cause (e.g., shallow backswing leading to a steep downswing).

Definitely found this to be a very helpful channel. Really simple, easy explanations. As seen with those on the struggle bus (like me), having too much information at your disposal can be a curse as well as a blessing. And can cause those of us who want to play "golf" to play "golf swing" instead, causing frustration and a lack of enjoyment in the game. Thanks for the recommendation, as well as all of the other detailed ones you provided me in the other thread. Kudos to you.

Rictor33;n8885873 said:
Definitely found this to be a very helpful channel. Really simple, easy explanations. As seen with those on the struggle bus (like me), having too much information at your disposal can be a curse as well as a blessing. And can cause those of us who want to play "golf" to play "golf swing" instead, causing frustration and a lack of enjoyment in the game. Thanks for the recommendation, as well as all of the other detailed ones you provided me in the other thread. Kudos to you.

Thanks and hopefully some of it helps you.

I think it it takes both focusing on “golf swing” and playing golf. The golf swing work should be done on the range or home in front of a mirror. Maybe on the course if you are just out working on something and not actually trying to play.

But when you are actually out on the course I think you need to give your brain a task like Clement recommends and just swing/throw to the target - whatever that feels like to you.

jhtr20;n8876007 said:
Same thing for me. Slowing down and a lesser back swing has made a huge difference in making much better ball contact and better ball flight. Works best for me off the tee with my Callaway mini driver.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

Lots of 3-9 drills, building up speed as you go. Tight connection with rear tricep to lat/rib cage. Just swing the heavy weight on the end of the stick, very loose hands and wrists. Weight transfer on every swing. Keep the backswing tight, let the follow through get longer and longer.

My OTT was so bad, my instructor had me do something a little differently each lesson, and then would change it even more.
The last lesson as per the picture, is set up to make me swing to the right.
What I'm supposed to do is set up, do a full hip turn back, align my shoulders with the back alignment stick. Set it up to align with shoulders on a full turn. Leave my shoulders aligned, move my lower body and swing, with my shoulders still aligned with back stick. After contact and only after contact follow through. What an alien motion!
I've been hitting draws!! Can't believe it. If the ball hooks it means I've moved my shoulders too soon.
Maybe an extreme cure meant for me, but it worked so far.
Can't wait until my next lesson to see what he changes. Best money I've ever spent on golf.

6ff4c6ee0a9ab188ad44f52b741c2111.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
As long as the ball is your target, you will not stop coming over the top. That's the most efficient way to hit at the ball.

You've got to learn that your target is "out there" and allow the club to swing to "out there." Fred Shoemaker illustrated this perfectly in his DVD. When golfers tried to hit the ball, you saw a hacker-eque, over-the-top move. When he gave them a club and told them to throw it downrange at a target, they had a beautiful lag, inside-out-swing and release. The difference is astounding.

Many people think an inside takeaway is the cause of their over-the-top. An inside takeaway is a symptom. The cause is having the ball as your target.

OTT. My swing gravitates that way. I never believe it, but the video doesn't lie. Then back to the basics. Pause on backswing. Swing starts with ground up. Rotate hips. And so on. But it can be so hard to change. I've been doing this crazy little exercise from Mike Bender. It helps me get a better feel for what I need to do.

Back