Hitting driver with early morning on shore flow (overcast)?

ULEWZ

Golf Magician
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I lost two balls on the first two holes this morning, 8:00am to 8:30am. I hit what felt like a great shot and never saw the ball leave the tee nor did we find the balls. My playing partner likes to start early in the summer here in So. Cal, but damn, I tend to hit a high drive and just can't see the ball. I used my Matt green, Matt red, and white balls, and the green and red were terrible. The white ball was used after the sun broke through, so that might not be a good test.

Maybe I should hit an iron shot off the tee until the sun comes out so I can find my ball? (lower trajectory)

Hitting into the air with the thin haze with the sun trying to peak through is hard.

I can't think of a more frustrating thing in golf. Not being able to find a ball that you know is in play. Ugh!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We always have the first tee time, 7:00 am at our local course. During the height of summer several holes are dead into the light; the best you can do is have at least two spotters while you're hitting. If it's just you and a partner make sure he/she is on the ball side of your body - otherwise you can easily lose the ball leaving the club by the golfer's body. I agree, nothing is more frustrating than not being able to locate a ball just because you didn't see it leave the club face.

I always prefer to stand behind the golfer. I can’t se to ball off the face very well, but by standing behind, I seem to have better results. Plus I know my distances and it sure helps which direction.

Back