I've figured this game out! Oh wait, no I haven't
Reaction score
Handicap
14?
First:
I am not affiliated with the system nor providers

Second:
I am a newer golfer, so take this FWIW

I took up golf for real this year. I have been taking lessons from a Pro and have played and practiced quite a bit. I have my HC down to 22.5 and normally shoot in the 90s, but there are plenty of 100s in there as well. Broke 90 three times.

My short game has been saving me of late. Over the last few months, I developed a lovely push slice with my driver. It is really something to behold.

Anyway, after trying several band-aids and tricks to try and eliminate said push slice, I happened upon this system on Performance Golf Zone.

Program was inexpensive, about $50, cost of a 30 minute lesson, so let's give it a try.

Basis of the program is to help you understand where your slice comes from, then how to overcome it, and you are given drills to overcome it. The catchphrase is "15 shots and you will eliminate your slice" or something like that.

I followed the program, watched the videos and hit the range.

The trick to the 15 shots is, you have to hit 10 draws or hooks in a row, before moving to the last 5 and straightening it out. If you don't make your 10, start over. How hard could that be? Well, took me better than 30 shots to hit those 10 hooks/draws in a row. I then followed the instruction and worked on the path, and viola! Nice straight slight draw. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Worked on the swing some more (to the tune of another 200 shots) and vast majority were good. When I hooked, it was because of poor path, when I sliced, it was because of open face. When I did the right stuff, bingo!

I recommend the program. It really helped me out.

Haven’t Trackman (etc) taught us that shape is about path & starting line is about face ? Generally that is.

Meaning that while your Captain Cooks are down to path, so too are your cuts rather than being about face ?

Haven’t Trackman (etc) taught us that shape is about path & starting line is about face ? Generally that is.

Meaning that while your Captain Cooks are down to path, so too are your cuts rather than being about face ?

Path determines starting line. Face angle determines shot shape.

Path determines starting line. Face angle determines shot shape.

no. face determines 75-85% of start line depending on club you’re using and impact location. face to path dictates curvature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no. face determines 75-85% of start line depending on club you’re using and impact location. face to path dictates curvature.

Yep. But no matter what great pros thought : for an average student, the point is how to draw the ball without hitting it fat.

Yep. But no matter what great pros thought : for an average student, the point is how to draw the ball without hitting it fat.

it is pretty fascinating that the pros of yesteryear were able to shape the ball, thinking they were doing one thing when actually they were doing another. feel =/= real.

it is pretty fascinating that the pros of yesteryear were able to shape the ball, thinking they were doing one thing when actually they were doing another. feel =/= real.

They did what they felt and were doing it great. They could hit draws and fades on command no matter if they believed in the so-called old or we now believe in the new Trackman laws. Watch Mac hitting draws and fades with literally the same swing.

So true.

And coaches / players believing they could make the ball move in the air by doing something with the hands / wrists during the 0.4milliseonds of impact. That’d be some timing.

So true.

And coaches / players believing they could make the ball move in the air by doing something with the hands / wrists during the 0.4milliseonds of impact. That’d be some timing.

But they did it with their hands. Timing is always present.At least when you want to shape the ball trajectory with the same swing. How would you change that?

But they did it with their hands. Timing is always present.At least when you want to shape the ball trajectory with the same swing. How would you change that?

Not in that 0.4milliseconds of impact they didn’t, surely.

I’d have thought that as great players they felt the shot. They may not have conciously known that path was creating their shape, but their golfing brain knew and created the swing that did it.

Not in that 0.4milliseconds of impact they didn’t, surely.

I’d have thought that as great players they felt the shot. They may not have conciously known that path was creating their shape, but their golfing brain knew and created the swing that did it.

You preorder the shot.

Exact opposite of the truth.

So, when I open the clubface, swing exaggerate out to in, and hit a sweeping slice out of the trees, what exactly is happening?

Not sure if this pertains to this thread but about a year ago while doing a fitting the fitter / instructor / Owner of Jessey James Golf in Orlando had me take the club back halfway with the left wrist bowed severely closing the clubface then take it to the top and hit the ball, the result was a hook but excellent contact with a lot of power.

I do this at every warm up to get the club coming inside and on plane (I believe) and when I go back to my normal swing I hit it pretty much straight or a bit of a draw.

I think many of the pros of yesteryear knew extactly what path and face angle did. The ball before the year 2000 was also much easier to curve. With the modern ball and drivers I have difficulty hitting anything more than a 7-10 yard hook or fade with a driver. In the old days it was easy to hit a big hook or slice.

I have difficulty hitting anything more than a 7-10 yard hook or fade with a driver.

So jealous.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

So, when I open the clubface, swing exaggerate out to in, and hit a sweeping slice out of the trees, what exactly is happening?

It’s the out to in that makes it cut.

Andrew Rice can explain it much better than me. There are other smaller factors (like Gear effect) but basically ‘The face sends it, and the path bends it.

Worth checking out this video too, or any on D Plane laws:

It’s the out to in that makes it cut.

Andrew Rice can explain it much better than me. There are other smaller factors (like Gear effect) but basically ‘The face sends it, and the path bends it.

He said exactly what I've been saying. Despite his need to use king and queen instead of path and face, he quite simply said that the golfer that has the path going out to in needs to get the face somewhere between that path and the target to get the ball to move back to the target. Then, to get the person to hit a draw, you need to move the patch to in to out so the ball starts out right of the target, then move the face from the right side of the path (for a right hander) to the left side of the path (between the path and target) to get the ball to curve back toward the target.

Thank you for that excellent video.

I’m confused OG (in fairness, that’s not difficult to do)

In your original post on the subject you said “Path determines starting line. Face angle determines shot shape

But it’s actually the exact opposite.

opening the face and swinging out to in won’t guarantee a slice even if you eliminate gear effect. the key is to open the face relative to the path. you can hit a hook with an out to in path, and a slice with an in to out path. just like you can hit a hook with a face open to the target, and a slice with the face closed to the target.

I should have been a bit more clear.

I know what causes my slice. It is a slightly out to in and an open face.

Before using this training, I made efforts to get more in to out and to better sqaure the face, or even slightly close it.

I was not successful. The training provided by the videos gave me drills to work on that have helped a lot.

I played today and only had 1 bad drive and 1 psuh with no slice. The rest of them were good. One really good, long, staright, ever so slightly draw to 220, which is a good shot for me. But the rest were in fairway or on the first cut, a definite improvement.

opening the face and swinging out to in won’t guarantee a slice even if you eliminate gear effect.
It will guarantee at least a pull fade assuming clean clubface, clean ball, and clean contact.
the key is to open the face relative to the path.
Of course. I wasn't saying to open the clubface relative to my golf bag sitting in front of me. Obviously, referring to opening the clubface relative to the swingpath.

you can hit a hook with an out to in path,
Yes, I agree. It's called a pull-hook.
and a slice with an in to out path.
Agree again. That's your textbook push-slice.
just like you can hit a hook with a face open to the target, and a slice with the face closed to the target.

I need to think about those two a little. Maybe if I aim 90° to the left or right that might work.

Are you asking why you dont hit the tree? or what exactly?

Are you asking why you dont hit the tree? or what exactly?
It's fine. Andrew Rice explained it perfectly. The ball starts on the line of the path and turns in relation to your clubface.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back