Hand Release Actions - which one?

WILDTHING

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been reading about 'Hand Release ' actions in the golf swing and have summarised some below. But which ones are best for clubhead speed and accuracy or just plain 'naturalness' ?

1. AJ Bonar - rolling hand release left hand facing the sky . Actually this is active left/right forearm rotation through impact (with maybe a bit of rotation of the left/right humerus).
fetch

2. Robert Baker - Flipping Hand Release - left wrist allowed to bend through impact as right wrist straightens

fetch

3. A mix of 1 and 2 above

4. Flat Left Wrist Rolling through impact like Rickie Fowler (even when his right arm and wrist are straightening)- whole left 'humerus/forearm' rotation happening immediately post impact at the shoulder joint.

fetch

5. These similar hand release actions by Stenson, Thomas (including DJ and many more) doing the following:

a. Flat Left Wrist through impact for several inches post impact
b. Clubface square to its curvilinear path for several inches post impact
c. No independent forearm supination for those several inches post impact
d. Whole left arm moving (and rotating enough to keep the clubface square to its path) at the same angular velocity as the club for those several inches post impact

fetch

fetch

6. This is where the clubface is kept square to its curvilinear path post impact for a long distance in the follow-through like Mike Bennett or Ben Hogan or Charlie Hoffmann.

This would require quite a bit of flexibility but now you can see there are many ways to release your hands/arms , so you just have to find one that fits you.

fetch

Charlie Hoffman

fetch

Not sure, I’ve always played by what felt best naturally to me (I’m an aj bonar hand turn)

The hinging and unhinging of the wrists-hands throughout the swing is a consequence of the player's address technique (grip-posture-alignment).

Hand Release Actions - which one?

I’ve been reading up on this quite a bit lately. My first go around in golf I was taught the roll release where the left hand knuckles end up pointing towards the ground post impact. I created a lot of clubhead speed with this technique but I was either very “on” and playing well when I was able to practice or very “off” as it just wasn’t a natural move for me.

This time I have been working more on a flat left wrist staying square to the swing arc and working on syncing my body turn to square the face. I have tried the slap release too and it works ok, but I think the timing can get a little off and it seems to promote a steeper AoA which I do not need.

Thanks for posting this! I find this part of the swing fascinating and largely ignored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whichever one works for you?

The method that looks like a flip, doesn’t have to be a flip before/at the ball. That’s what I use and have too late of a release at times. But I don’t mind as a reformed flipper. The tour average on the Mizuno optimizer for their numeric scale for release is 4-5 and I’m a 3. The lower the number the later the release.

I think like DG said, most will work if your grip matches the release pattern. However, I’ll add that I’ve found club head speeds can affect which works best for you. I can swing a PW 100 mph and my driver 120+. I have an almost impossible time rotating my forearms fast enough to use that technique. So I look shut at the top. If I try to get in more of the textbook look at the top with the club face leading edge matching my left forearm/wrist angle, I am almost guaranteed to hit the ball with an open face.

Nice collection of techniques. Wish I had any of them. Since I have limited flexibility to to age and arthritis, its left wrist facing the target through contact, then turning left during follow through, sort of like Hoffman.

How timely. I've been thinking about this for a few days now. I was an AJ Bonar technique person for many years and this year I've moved to #4, more like Rickie Fowler. Unfortunately, I've developed a huge chicken wing with that swing but I've been striking the ball fairly well. Yesterday, I went back to the Bonar style and had one of the best striking days I've had this year and no chicken wing. Second best overall score for the year also. So I'm torn on it.

Nice collection of techniques. Wish I had any of them. Since I have limited flexibility to to age and arthritis, its left wrist facing the target through contact, then turning left during follow through, sort of like Hoffman.

Number 6 requires the most flexibility of all so maybe your a number 5 :smile:

The best release I have found is a natural release. Fully cock wrists at top of backswing and start downswing with lower body then shoulder rotation. Keep the wrists cocked(not on purpose, but by force of rotation of shoulders). Keep swing with body/shoulders until hands release on their own. You may be able to time a release MOST of the time, but anything other than naturally will lead to frustration...............IMO and I'm not a pro so take it for what its worth.

Back