Thoughts on orange whip?

I traded away my full size one and got a midsize. Since my longest club in the bag is 39.5" it made sense. I really like the feel of this one better. Good for iron swings.

I'll have to try yours at Old Silo. I love the driver length one I have, but it would be nice to be able to swing it indoors!

I'll have to try yours at Old Silo. I love the driver length one I have, but it would be nice to be able to swing it indoors!

Consider it done, my friend.

These things are hard to find used. I guess people really like them lol

So I was swinging this today and swinging it lefty for sure helps me loosen up more. I will also say that oddly my balance and tempo felt a little better swinging lefty...

I can't begin to say how much OW has helped me - especially combining it with Tour Tempo program. I can't say it enough: what we need to get better at golf is more practice reps. OW gives you reps and with the Tour Tempo you are getting great reps. It's just been great and has really helped my game.

After using this everyday for two weeks straight I finally got a chance to hit the course both days this weekend. My tempo and swing on my driver has never felt so smooth and solid. Felt like I was barely swinging the driver and seeing longer distance than usual. Never once felt like I was trying to kill the ball, but just swinging the driver and letting it do it's thing.

I used to be in golf retail, so I've seen/used so many training devices that I've lost count. Even before that I had my share and they usually ended up in the closet after a short time. I was introduced to the OW in 2008 when the company was pretty new and still have an early version whip I got before a few revisions were made. Just like Four, I had it for 2 weeks before I had a chance to play, but during that time I used it about 10-15 min each day. The day I played I immediately noticed a difference on the range...my swing didn't feel much different, but everything about my ball flight was better. And I didn't realize it at first, but I didn't have any swing thoughts. We only got in 14 holes that day, but I birdied 6 of them.

These things are hard to find used. I guess people really like them lol

I've had mine for over 7 years and still use it on a regular basis. I haven't used any other swing training devices since I got my OW and haven't considered any. Previously I don't think I used one more than about 6 weeks! It's the first one I've used that I have seen noticeable results, so yeah, I like mine!

This aid is the worst of the worst. Perfect for guys that refuse to take golf lessons and think this is the savior to better golf

This aid is the worst of the worst. Perfect for guys that refuse to take golf lessons and think this is the savior to better golf
Couldn't disagree more. I use mine before every round to get my tempo going and it has been one of the best aids I have bought. And I took lessons last year and my teaching pro recommended I get it because tempo was an issue for me.

Couldn't disagree more. I use mine before every round to get my tempo going and it has been one of the best aids I have bought. And I took lessons last year and my teaching pro recommended I get it because tempo was an issue for me.
Is he trolling? Same guy came into my lessons thread and told me to take lessons......

Interesting take. I'm not sure I've run into anyone, including THPers who claims the OW is the end-all-be-all swing-saving trainer, but all of them have benefited from some of the feeling that the OW (and cheaper models, to be honest) provide.

Agree with you, Dev. A very useful tool even if just for getting warmed-up and stretched before a round/range session. One of the biggest things the OW has helped me with is tempo in the early part of the swing... A more deliberate take-away, using the bigger muscles, helps me smooth-out the tempo throughout the swing. It isn't a magic device that'll fix a couple of my key swing faults; that's what a pro is for.

Is he trolling? Same guy came into my lessons thread and told me to take lessons......

THat was my thought as well. Guy certainly has a bug up his butt about getting lessons.

The OW is an excellent tool for any golfer, it is the only training aid that I have continued to use over the years. I first bought the GF and enjoyed it but the balance of the OW makes it superior IMO. Both are good and are exactly what they are said to be training aids not lesson substitutes.

I'm considering the OW but for the past year I've been using a homemade heavy driver and it's helped me a lot.

I went to Goodwill and bought an old FW with a steel shaft, then I put a heavy rock on top of the head and wrapped the whole thing with duct tape. It's goofy looking but for $3 it works. It stretches me out and has helped me get lag in my swing. When I grab my driver it feels as light as a feather now.

I don't have concrete data, but I can tell my swing is faster and my drives are noticeably longer.

I'm considering the OW but for the past year I've been using a homemade heavy driver and it's helped me a lot.

I went to Goodwill and bought an old FW with a steel shaft, then I put a heavy rock on top of the head and wrapped the whole thing with duct tape. It's goofy looking but for $3 it works. It stretches me out and has helped me get lag in my swing. When I grab my driver it feels as light as a feather now.

I don't have concrete data, but I can tell my swing is faster and my drives are noticeably longer.

Cannot say how much I hope "I duct taped a heavy rock to a shaft" is (1) an April Fool's joke or (2) just a joke or (3) trolling or (4) all of the above.

Do you use it indoors?

Couldn't agree more with ya buddy, I love having mine in my bag to get loose before a round.

Cannot say how much I hope "I duct taped a heavy rock to a shaft" is (1) an April Fool's joke or (2) just a joke or (3) trolling or (4) all of the above.

Well its not far off of the Slicefixer (Geoff Jones) "heavy driver" do-it-yourself with large washers down the shaft and secured to the head with tape. Not a terrible and cheap way to do "heavy driver" drills of his is so desired, but I would say that the use is a bit different drill than that provided by the orange whip. Although some of the ideas or goals or similar there is debate as to the risk and effectiveness of a heavy driver and different drills you would use from the orange whip. As one example there could be risk in doing full speed swings with too heavy of a weighted driver--the drills I did with Slicefixer were slow controlled drills with the heavy driver. Personally, I continue to use the Orange whip, but really don't mess with Heavy driver or weighted drivers anymore.

I need to get back to using this baby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well its not far off of the Slicefixer (Geoff Jones) "heavy driver" do-it-yourself with large washers down the shaft and secured to the head with tape. Not a terrible and cheap way to do "heavy driver" drills of his is so desired, but I would say that the use is a bit different drill than that provided by the orange whip. Although some of the ideas or goals or similar there is debate as to the risk and effectiveness of a heavy driver and different drills you would use from the orange whip. As one example there could be risk in doing full speed swings with too heavy of a weighted driver--the drills I did with Slicefixer were slow controlled drills with the heavy driver. Personally, I continue to use the Orange whip, but really don't mess with Heavy driver or weighted drivers anymore.

I agree with you Wardie that the Orange Whip is not really a "heavy driver" equivalent. I think it helps with tempo & form more than what people are attempting to gain with a weighted club (i.e., swing speed & lag).

It's probably worthy of a separate thread, but I remember Martin Hall describing the latest research on swing speed training, & he talked about swing a club that is 20% heavier than normal & then swinging one that's about 20% lighter than normal (I think 20% was the number but I could be wrong). And during the Masters yesterday they mentioned that Phil Mickelson added 4 mph to his swing speed over the winter after training with a guy who works primarily with pro baseball players doing something like this (alternating swinging heavy/light clubs). So the "driver with a rock" is not really achieving the same benefits as the Orange Whip, but might have its own pluses.

It's the first thing I grab when I hop out of the truck. KellyBo gave me one for my Bday and I have enjoyed it. Being a stiff old coot it really helps to warm up with this puppy pre round.

I use mine for tempo training in the yard. It's great to swing for 10-15 minutes and just work my core muscles.
I also use it as a warm up when I play. I feel that the OW reinforces the things that I generally struggle with: tempo, pause at top of backswing and hip release.
My experience with the OW is that I have added distance to all clubs since I began using it and my usual playing partners have commented on how much better my swing looks.
I take a couple lessons a year as well, but the OW is worth the $100.

I posted it again in the DotD thread, when visiting the page there is a pop-up that offers a $5 discount that brings the price down to $84.99, that is a fantastic deal IMO.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...-Code-thread&p=3709264&viewfull=1#post3709264

That is a great deal, but be aware that the "Gold" version of the Orange Whip (so called because the small counterweight ball at the butt end is painted gold) is the mid-size version (4" shorter than the regular model) of the trainer. Per the Orange Whip website:

The Orange Whip Mid-size is universal for both men and women and is easily handled by seniors, beginners, and shorter players.
  • • Designed for seniors, women, and teens
  • • Simulates iron motion for men and taller women
  • • Simulates driver motion for women and teens
  • • Provides core fitness and flexibility

I am 6'-1" tall and swung both prior to purchasing. Taller men will likely be happier with the longer model.

Still loving my OW.

When all else fails, go to the OW and rehearse the tempo.

Back