Thoughts on orange whip?

I'm using it daily to help me start my downswing from the lower body working upward. I can really feel a difference when my swing is all arms.

I do think that is the key on the whip, with both sides too. Back or forward all arms does not feel smooth-ground up feels right and why this will always be a useful tool.

Add me to the list of happy OW owners now. I tried both and the OW felt much better than the SKLZ did. For the last 2 weeks I have been working on shortening my backswing (keeping the back elbow in) and slowing it as well, to find the right point where I can transfer all my momentum into the downswing. This helps with that a lot. It's a lot like throwing a pitch in baseball. If you are off balance at the top of your leg kick, you have to waste energy getting yourself back on balance during the delivery.

​they help alot

Been working with my skillz version, and it has definitely helped me groove a more consistent swing.

Been working with my skillz version, and it has definitely helped me groove a more consistent swing.

one of the things I have been adding with mine, is not just the smooth swing but also build up faster and faster whip while keeping the same fell of the whip--I want to work on being able to keep a good rhythm even when going hard at a driver swing.

This was high atop my father's day list, I can't wait to find one!

S
There are other tools out there that have benefits like these, but this is by far one of the best. Having both types I recommend the extra money on the Real Orange whip brand--it is a better product in weighting and design. If you had to get only one I personally (just my opinion) would get the 38" only as it applies to more of the clubs I use for my own visualization.

I picked up the 38" at Golfsmith a couple weeks ago. Better fit for me since I can actually swing it in my condo. I have many things to work on, and this hits a several of them.

With all the good said about these, I keep pondering grabbing one. I need to try one out a bit next time I get up to the golf store in town.

I bought a SKLZ the other day, I got 48"
I love it really helps my tempo and release.
But I must say when I took it to the range the other day, I was hitting my drives really well but it really threw my irons off big time ???
Maybe I should've got the 40 inch model instead being as I'm only 5 foot six and 53 years of age ????
Not really sure maybe I haven't spent enough time sequencing my ankles and knees as in the video drills ???
Anyone else out there having similar issues ???
All comments welcome… Thanks guys :)

I wanted to copy and paste this on this thread as a update.

Well I just got done at the golf range, they were nice enough to let me take an orange whip out, so I compared the two side-by-side, swinging each one a few times and hitting a seven iron, although I did a lot better this time, I have to admit that the orange whip is swing wait balanced a whole lot better.

The SKLZ has a lot more head weight, the weight of the 48" SKLZ head alone is more than the OW total weight.

I'm not saying that the SKLZ is Junk, I'm just saying the OW swings a lot more naturally with all the whip and enough extra weight to work your core.

I can't speak to the orange whip, but I do have a 48" sklz gold and I really like it thus far. I use it mostly to warm up before rounds and range sessions, as well as a few drills here and there. My typical "big miss" is a quick and handsy OTT move that results in a nasty snap hook. This year my tempo has been a lot better, and my hands have been a little more quiet resulting in much straighter/ more consistent ball flight. I can't say that the SKLZ is THE reason, but it has certainly helped.

I wanted to copy and paste this on this thread as a update.

Well I just got done at the golf range, they were nice enough to let me take an orange whip out, so I compared the two side-by-side, swinging each one a few times and hitting a seven iron, although I did a lot better this time, I have to admit that the orange whip is swing wait balanced a whole lot better.

The SKLZ has a lot more head weight, the weight of the 48" SKLZ head alone is more than the OW total weight.

I'm not saying that the SKLZ is Junk, I'm just saying the OW swings a lot more naturally with all the whip and enough extra weight to work your core.

I have the 48 skilz, but 44 and 38 Orange and I prefer the Orange by far due to balance and feel.

I have the 48 skilz, but 44 and 38 Orange and I prefer the Orange by far due to balance and feel.

I'm pondering the 38 Orange, partner, for working with prior to iron practice. I like my 48 SKLZ for stretching out, and it gives me great tempo with my driver. But, I'm not sure it translates as well to the irons.

I am having a hard not getting the Orange Whip ... just not 100% sure what my ROI is. I just have not found one that I thought has helped ... but everyone's comments has me 92.45% there ...

The only OW I have tried is the 47 1/2" I really liked it a lot !!! and did not have near as much trouble translating it to the irons as the 48" SKLZ

That being said.
An important update I have in my progress, it is after watching some video tips that stressed maintaining good golf form while using some different training aids.
I've picked my 48" SKLZ back up with a fresh mind set and approach of doing this, and also thinking of keeping a light grip and feeling the release naturally whip through.
I am doing so much better, Irons, Hybrids and all.
When I first started using it at work on my lunch break, it was kind of hard for me and almost turned into a work out that led to a tighter grip, my hands even kind a got sore.
And I think inadvertently started to take me out of my golf form.
So I think with a little focus on maintaining my golf form that the SKLZ will work out just fine for me.

My instructor used one of these last night to talk about proper release times and an active lower section. In fact that's the second instructor this year to encourage it.

I think it's time to acquire one.

I am picking up one today, gotta trade in a driver, will be doing that over lunch.

I am having a hard not getting the Orange Whip ... just not 100% sure what my ROI is. I just have not found one that I thought has helped ... but everyone's comments has me 92.45% there ...

Me too. No idea why I don't have one yet

My instructor used one of these last night to talk about proper release times and an active lower section. In fact that's the second instructor this year to encourage it.

I think it's time to acquire one.

You're free to borrow mine buddy.

Picked up the OW 48" saturday, swung it Sun AM at the course, really helped loosen my back, and my first drives of the day were very nice! I lost some drives right as the round progressed, but I think that the front side drives were helped by the OW. I will be taking this to my instructor this week, so he can give me some tips and drills for this.

Anyone use a glove when swinging this? I've only used it bare handed so far

Anyone use a glove when swinging this? I've only used it bare handed so far

I use a glove most of the time. I just try to make it the same feel as I would with a driver.

Back