Thoughts on orange whip?

Good warm up and tempo tool with multiple uses - you can also use it to stretch before a round.

I just received my SKLZ Gold Flex today. Can’t wait to start using it. Unfortunately I got the 40” version instead of the 48” one. But it still should do the job.

Orange Whip is a great warm up aid. It’s probably in my head but I feel like it helps me maintain a good transition from back swing to through swing as I begin to warm up with my clubs. I use it in the drive way at home. One more thing the neighbors can talk about. I leave it in the bag most of the time. It just works.

My wife got me one for my birthday. I used it to loosen up before I left the house yesterday. 20 mins later, and my driver still felt like a toothpick on the first tee.

I started using mine again for the tempo as well. I like saying Orange Whiiiip too.

I really liked mine when I first got it. I think it helped a lot in my timing. I have gotten out of the habit of using it the last few years. I think maybe I should dig it out and start making swings each night again. I don't like using it before rounds since it makes my driver feel super light.

I've had trouble properly releasing the club consistently in the past. It is really difficult to do it wrong (e.g. flip your wrists) with this thing. It also seems to promote a better turn on the backswing instead of letting the right elbow fly out. I hope, as I continue swing this daily, it will manifest itself on the course soon.

I just got one too use in my shop over the winter, and for warming up before a round.

I really like how it makes you swing smoooooooth.

I have the yellow version but don't really use it much. I mostly use a SwingRite, but the orange whip has its benefits.

Have one. It sits...It's too heavy and torques me out.

I really like it for finding my tempo when I get too quick from the top. They are also great for loosening up.

I got one recently as part of a therapy plan for my ribcage. I like it well enough, and I think it's beneficial for what I'm using it for. I'm wary of using it too much though. It's basically swinging without a ball, which I really try not to do too much of.

I don't quite understand the tempo benefits everyone mentions. If you swing it with a smoother tempo than your golf swing it's because you're putting effort into that tempo. The same effort you can/would have to put into a golf swing tempo outside your norm. I don't think it naturally limits your tempo as a device, because I have a quick tempo and I can crank on the thing. If your swing is balanced and your wrist is strong at the top it doesn't seem to limit tempo at all, imo. :confused2:

I got one recently as part of a therapy plan for my ribcage. I like it well enough, and I think it's beneficial for what I'm using it for. I'm wary of using it too much though. It's basically swinging without a ball, which I really try not to do too much of.

I don't quite understand the tempo benefits everyone mentions. If you swing it with a smoother tempo than your golf swing it's because you're putting effort into that tempo. The same effort you can/would have to put into a golf swing tempo outside your norm. I don't think it naturally limits your tempo as a device, because I have a quick tempo and I can crank on the thing. If your swing is balanced and your wrist is strong at the top it doesn't seem to limit tempo at all, imo. :confused2:

I think what is meant by tempo is: if you have a typical high handicapper's "lurching", over-the top, shoulders opening up & spinning out of control downswing, the Orange Whip will help with this. You can certainly make fast swings and swing at 100% with this, but the correct timing/sequence needs to be there IMO. If your swing sequence is good, then you can swing this thing hard & fast. And it might not be that much help for those golfers.

And I don't agree that "If you swing it with a smoother tempo than your golf swing it's because you're putting effort into that tempo." Usually people put less effort into a smoother tempo swing, so they can be a little more smooth. That's where the OW helps.

I really use it more as a stretching/warmup device anymore. But I will say that before I got it & started using it, my OTT swing resulted in a fairly big fade verging on slice (especially when I swung hard). Within a week of using the Orange Whip, I started hitting draws with driver off the tee - which I had never been able to do. I think the Orang Whip can be very effective for certain people - at least it helped me a lot.

Great warm up tool. As mentioned the yellow version does the trick and highly recommend for the price discount!

I think what is meant by tempo is: if you have a typical high handicapper's "lurching", over-the top, shoulders opening up & spinning out of control downswing, the Orange Whip will help with this. You can certainly make fast swings and swing at 100% with this, but the correct timing/sequence needs to be there IMO. If your swing sequence is good, then you can swing this thing hard & fast. And it might not be that much help for those golfers.

And I don't agree that "If you swing it with a smoother tempo than your golf swing it's because you're putting effort into that tempo." Usually people put less effort into a smoother tempo swing, so they can be a little more smooth. That's where the OW helps.

I really use it more as a stretching/warmup device anymore. But I will say that before I got it & started using it, my OTT swing resulted in a fairly big fade verging on slice (especially when I swung hard). Within a week of using the Orange Whip, I started hitting draws with driver off the tee - which I had never been able to do. I think the Orang Whip can be very effective for certain people - at least it helped me a lot.
So Funny, was taking a lesson the other day and like most of my swings, I was taking "Violent" lashes instead of smooth "Ernie Els like" swings.
my coach gave me an Orange Whip like device and almost immediately start to slow down and take smoother like swings.
Never really swing one before - I can see the benefit of it.

Glad to see this thread pop up. They should advertise that its time to whip out the Orange Whip and start to get the golf muscles ready for Spring time.
I should have the Whip as part of my workout regime.

I use mine a ton. Helps with SS, tempo and being able to groove a better swing without a ball to hit

Just saw this Danny Maude video & figured it should go in the Orange Whip thread

Great video - since I can only work on swing with the weather the way it is - this was a great video.

That's well said, and shows where personal bias as a fast tempo guy probably comes in for me. I meant that for someone like me, it takes effort to slow it down. I have to be the one to do it, not the whip. I have a friend trying to get rid of a pause at the top, and the whip really forces him to focus on that. Again, my perception of who's doing what, but that's one case where I can see it really benefiting a high capper. How you mentioned 'sequencing' probably applies more universally, because if it's off that thing will get away from you in a hurry, and I can see that kind of feedback and required correction playing a big part in what people perceive as a smoother tempo. (y)

Like I said, I use it more for the physical aspects of rotation, and it is a good warmup tool. One thing I thought about the other day is that for some it might actually help to shallow their swing a bit (using the full length whips). With how much it downward flexes, to keep it off the ground you have to swing a little flat. I could see that repetitive action having an influence on a golf swing.

Once my back pain goes away, I will be back using my Orange Whip to work on tempo.

I have the Skilz version. I can’t say it’s improved my swing but I do like it for warming up.

For me, by tempo I mean slowing down and swinging smoothly. I get violent / out of control in transition at times and it leads to inconsistent strikes and drives OB. This helps me find that smooth, quick tempo I need to get the most out of my swing.

Back