Brian Sparks- easiest swing in golf?

Lefty_in_AZ

Reaction score
I realize that I spend far too much time on the Internet in general, and on Youtube specifically, looking at golf theories, swing tips, and the like. Anyway, this one caught my eye and I found it very interesting. The man in the video is Brian Sparks, and he also has a book called Positive Impact Golf. From what I can tell the swing is very non-technical, with the main guidance being to loosen up everything in your body and to just swing with a relaxed motion. I don't know how one can hit purely with such a bent front arm, though. Does anybody on THP swing like this?

He seems to have a David Duval thing going on with his eyes/head.

He seems to have a David Duval thing going on with his eyes/head.

Good point. I had first thought of Bobby Jones, allthough not nearly as pretty, obviously. I also think of Bobby with that easy, free-flowing backswing.

I used to study so many different swings and theories starting out--this is much like Bill Mehlhorn golf or Miller Barber. Gravity golf shares some of the basic principles with a little more structure, but the idea is the same. So many swings and methods out there, and usually some pro you can find that had success with it.

I like it, however, it appears he loses his right knee flexion in the backswing which limits his overall coil/power.

Youtube: Ross Duplessis golf. Ross teaches a very simple swing that I believe would work for anyone. Either way, Good luck.

Looks like a slightly narrower version of Rocco Mediate's swing.

If it works for you,,than go with it. No one here will hit the ball for you.. Up to you decide what you want to do

I started attempting golf about six months ago, got my pro lesson, and discovered that my beat up old body doesn't like swinging that way... I ended up reading Brian's book and got a lot out of it... I do the Dance Du Golf routine before each shot, allow my left heel to come off the ground, and let my elbows bend a bit, naturally for me... Since then, I am actually able to finally hit the ball consistently, and I no longer thrash my back...

Well, I (like almost everyone else) am constantly searching for "the answer" to being able to play golf on a consistent, reasonable basis. I flit from one solution to the next (including lessons), stay for a while, convinced I've found it, then move on. Brian Sparks' method is my current stop. The odds are I'll move on from it but right now I can tell you, while it may not be that answer, it has been the only method I've tried that allows me to consistently find the bottom of my swing; as well, it has been the only method for which practicing isn't a chore, meaning I don't feel tightness in my body nor do I get winded after a short time. I happen to dance so I like the approach and, if you look at even pros, THIS seems to be the swing they take practice swings with; i.e. while they may keep their arms straight, they "rock" back and forth much like Sparks' "danse". For $5 you get the book and all the free videos; my suspicion is that even when it works you lose distance, but for an old, decrepit guy like me who aspires to just be able to get around a course, it is worth a try. If nothing else it might get me to the goal of loose arms.

This method has saved my golf game. I am 69 and strong and long. But I over swing and hit fat This swing has me swinging at 50 percent and easily hitting farther, particularly with my irons. I now hit ball first everytime with none fat or weak. Love the effortless feel....much better than my former big effort swipe.

Reminds me of how most hit a high pitch shot. Not for me though. I like the arms to feel as rigid as possible. Any breakdown of the front arm usually spells disaster for me.

I was away from golf for nearly 6 years and gradually got back into the game. Agree, I'm a little older now and the body is not quite the same as I remember the last time I golfed. So I found the Brian Sparks book on Positive Impact Golf (PIG for short). I've just finished ready the book for the second time and starting using his theory on the swing. It is working out quite well. I'm hitting the ball straighter, getting more yards from my irons. This was not the only thing that I got from the book. Like most amateurs, we don't hit the perfect shot all of the time, maybe less than 50%. But in the book, Brian tells you not to dwell on the bad shots, focus on your best shots on the day. Remember how you did them. Hit a bad shot, don't get mad. Move on. Erase it from the mind. I've used that to my advantage. I don't get mad anymore, I move on and focus on my next shot. The other day, I hit a bad drive, my second shot was not the greatest. But I pitch my third shot 4 feet from the hole and make my putt for a par. My pre-routine now includes the Danse Du Golf routine and before I hit all of my shots on the day except the putting.

Back