Trick Question - Throwing a club

WILDTHING

Reaction score
Handicap
Just want to test this out with some of you.

If you had to throw a club with your dominant arm/hand (aka Fred Shoemaker's suggestion in his book 'Extraordinary Golf' ) to learn the 'golf swing' , where would you grip it if the handle was shaped like below?

d78ljb69u89g.png

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdrMrE8TcFKg3N5eZkucu4EZfSCgip0hSL9xC6UOk-KYVztmBP.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdrMrE8TcFKg3N5eZkucu4EZfSCgip0hSL9xC6UOk-KYVztmBP.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I dunno, at the narrow end ?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

chriso97;n8876138 said:
I dunno, at the narrow end ?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

That makes sense to me too and I am assuming everyone else would think the same . It makes logical sense that you would grip the narrow end, wouldn't it?

Then why are we using the 'Vardon Grip' where the right hand is positioned as if it was wrapped around the thick end of that club (but actually the thick end is the left hand)?

It doesn't make sense for the right hand to grip over the left hand in its most disadvantaged position to 'throw' the club.

WILDTHING;n8876164 said:
That makes sense to me too and I am assuming everyone else would think the same . It makes logical sense that you would grip the narrow end, wouldn't it?

Then why are we using the 'Vardon Grip' where the right hand is positioned as if it was wrapped around the thick end of that club (but actually the thick end is the left hand)?

It doesn't make sense for the right hand to grip over the left hand in its most disadvantaged position to 'throw' the club.

It seems to me that the left hand low would hinder the throw. Instead, just use it as a stabilizing influence.

Back