When the heat is on.....Competition Advise! Prep ideas, strategies, etc.

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey All,

We are basically in Club Championship season, so I'm sure many of you are trying to win your CC or perhaps a member-guest or any tournament or important event for you. Maybe it's just you trying to get in the wallet of your buddy on your weekly round together.

I thought it might be cool to create a thread to capture any advise on how to maintain or improve your game when the pressure is on.

This thread can include ANYTHING you think or do to prepare prior to an important event.

Some questions/ideas to get the ball rolling so to speak:
  • Do you change your diet or work out more or less leading into an important event?
  • Do you wear any particular type of clothing or have any superstitious gear you might employ during an event?
  • Do you change your practice routine or prep time? If so, do you focus on long Vs. short game?
  • Lessons, training aides?
  • Do you try and play more leading into an event or do you practice more?
  • Equipment: Do you make or consider any changes leading into an event?
  • Mental: Do you work on your mental game or focus in some way?
  • Nerves/Tension: Do you get nervous leading into an event? If so, what do you do to get the butterflies in alignment? Do you prep for it somehow?
  • If your event is a match play event or a stroke play event, do you have any particular strategies for one versus the other?
  • Gamesmanship - do you partake here? Is it win at all costs for you? Or do you have a story of a competitor here that tried this option and maybe it was a success or failed miserably?
Maybe this thread can provide some support for guys trying to get ready for an important event.

Thank you for reading and considering a post to share!

Some thoughts based on my recent experience in my local muni's CC:

I tend to get quite nervous leading into my public course's Club Championship. It is a pretty lengthy journey to win our event as there is an 18 hole qualifier, then 8 guys go into match play (18 hole initial round, 18 hole semi-final) and a 36 hole final match. A good bit of golf to take the prize.

My approach this year was to get my muscle memory in good form. I find that being nervous introduces a whole new element to your "feels" and thought process that is very hard to reproduce in preparation. Nerves have a very interesting impact on your focus. Negative thoughts manage to cloud your focus and it becomes a major battle to keep a positive focus.

I actually don't react too well to my nerves through the CC weeks. I tend to eat very little, lose weight and get bouts of nerves and tension thinking about my matches. I've always been a worry wort, so this isn't new territory for me.

Funny enough, I think nerves can be a really great thing for your game.

Here are some things (in no particular order) I did leading into my matches this season, that perhaps can help someone about to embark on their journey:
  • I do my best to hit balls and practice my pre-shot routine as often as possible. I tend to get smaller buckets, but practice my routine on each ball. I find a REALLY solid pre-shot routine does wonders for nerves too. When I practice my routine on the range over and over, it builds sort of a muscle memory that helps the nerves fade a little when I step into my "box" so to speak.
  • Mental aspects: Mistakes absolutely WILL happen. I tell myself that I will hit bad shots and likely have bad holes, but that I can't let myself deviate from my process, which I've proven works for me on the range and in practice.
  • Having said the above, this season, I put quite a bit of time into my short game prep. When those bad shots happen, it goes without saying that having confidence in your chipping and putting can right many wrongs.
  • If I'm doing something really well, I actually practice it less. I find that over practicing something your confidence is high in, can go the opposite direction on you pretty quickly. Case in point, this year my driving felt great, so I hardly hit many drivers during my range sessions.
  • Match play strategy: My match play strategy is fairly straight forward - I do my absolute best to end my matches as soon as possible. Obvious here I guess....but my point is that if I get one hole up on a guy, I put all my focus into getting two up on them......then three up, then four up. Golf is a strange game and I don't underestimate anyone or my own potential to do things I didn't expect (good and bad). I think my key here is FOCUS and the more I get up in a match the more focused I try to get to go for another one. I've seen many guys in match play let the cards fold once they get a few holes up on the other guy. Next thing they know, the tide has turned and they get in a panic mode. All of this of course is easier said than done.
  • I like to swing a bit harder when I'm nervous rather than take more club and swing easier. I find that aggressive swings to conservative targets often pan out with better results for my game.
Looking forward to reading others ponders here. So many different ways to approach competition and to achieve your max performance given all the various constraints we face.

Basically I am just working on playing more and playing a longer course to see what I need to work on. I’m not the longest hitter so I’ll have to navigate better on some of the holes and really capitalize on the easier or shorter ones.

Need to really figure whether I want this 4 iron in the bag or switch it out for my hybrid as that spot will be vital to me playing certain holes.

I want ti get back into a strength program (should be easy as it’s part of my career haha) but finding that time to commit to it while eating better is tough. I like food and unfortunately my metabolism has really started to slow down the past year, so I need to do a little of both the exercise and better eating habits. Eating should be easy as at home we eat well. It’s when I have to eat while at work due to games and what not is where I slack and end up getting chick fila or something like that.

PapaJohick;n8887881 said:
Basically I am just working on playing more and playing a longer course to see what I need to work on. I’m not the longest hitter so I’ll have to navigate better on some of the holes and really capitalize on the easier or shorter ones.

Need to really figure whether I want this 4 iron in the bag or switch it out for my hybrid as that spot will be vital to me playing certain holes.

I want ti get back into a strength program (should be easy as it’s part of my career haha) but finding that time to commit to it while eating better is tough. I like food and unfortunately my metabolism has really started to slow down the past year, so I need to do a little of both the exercise and better eating habits. Eating should be easy as at home we eat well. It’s when I have to eat while at work due to games and what not is where I slack and end up getting chick fila or something like that.

Nice, yeah I hear yah. In the winter, I tend to add the lbs back on. It’s kinda crazy how seemingly simple it is to get in some exercise each day, yet somehow it becomes a challenging task when you have a family, career etc.. I need to work on my eating habits as well. I recently ran into some stomach trouble and I was really good for a few weeks, as I had to get myself sorted. I have ulcers that flare up when I eat poorly, don’t exercise and get too stressed.

How have the Apex pros been working for you? Do they have staying power for you?
Btw, the Ping 410 hybrid is a pretty phenomenal hybrid....just say’in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DNice26;n8888252 said:
Nice, yeah I hear yah. In the winter, I tend to add the lbs back on. It’s kinda crazy how seemingly simple it is to get in some exercise each day, yet somehow it becomes a challenging task when you have a family, career etc.. I need to work on my eating habits as well. I recently ran into some stomach trouble and I was really good for a few weeks, as I had to get myself sorted. I have ulcers that flare up when I eat poorly, don’t exercise and get too stressed.

How have the Apex pros been working for you? Do they have staying power for you?
Btw, the Ping 410 hybrid is a pretty phenomenal hybrid....just say’in!

These irons are something else haha. Literally have not had this much fun hitting an iron like these. I might want to change shafts to something that spins a tad more but I’m worried about changing it out if I’m hitting them this well haha.

That is the hybrid I’ve been looking at haha. Almost bought one this morning.

PapaJohick;n8888259 said:
These irons are something else haha. Literally have not had this much fun hitting an iron like these. I might want to change shafts to something that spins a tad more but I’m worried about changing it out if I’m hitting them this well haha.

That is the hybrid I’ve been looking at haha. Almost bought one this morning.

Get the 410! The flat hosel setting is great to fight any left side miss. It feels great and the consistency I have with it is fantastic! Worth every penny I paid for it.

DNice26;n8888326 said:
Get the 410! The flat hosel setting is great to fight any left side miss. It feels great and the consistency I have with it is fantastic! Worth every penny I paid for it.

That’s what makes me want it haha.

Although is the standar setting as upright as most hybrids out there or is it way more and that’s why they’re offering the flat settings?

i’m not a member of a club, and if i was i don’t think i would seek out these tournaments. i always seem to get paired up with the cheater or overly competitive guy who sucks the joy out of life.

but for thp events, i try to work on chipping, pitching and putting a lot. then play more rounds than usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

McLovin;n8888367 said:
i’m not a member of a club, and if i was i don’t think i would seek out these tournaments. i always seem to get paired up with the cheater or overly competitive guy who sucks the joy out of life.

but for thp events, i try to work on chipping, pitching and putting a lot. then play more rounds than usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, plenty of those guys out there. I guess thats why I opened it up to any kind of round that has meaning to you and likely brings in all the expectations and stress.

Do you find that you can over practice? Or is it the more practice, the better for you?

DNice26;n8888404 said:
Do you find that you can over practice? Or is it the more practice, the better for you?

that's a good question. doing what i'm doing now with lessons, and seeing how bad my technique had gotten, in hindsight my practice was just more deeply ingraining my bad habits. practice makes permanent far more often than it makes perfect. so i guess i would answer your question saying no, i can't over practice, as long as i am practice the right things.

This is a timely thread as our club championship is approaching and I plan to enter it (first time for me doing that).

I'm 43, didn't take up golf until I was about 30 or so, and didn't start really taking the game seriously until 5 years ago. I've never been a competitive person, never played sports in high school/college... I'm just not athletic, never have been. Golf is the only game I've had any real success with and it's only after putting in a TON of effort.

So - all that said, I just don't have much experience getting into a competitive frame of mind, and I'm just starting to explore that a bit to see what it takes for me to "get there."

The closest experience I have in that realm comes from my days as a guitar player for hire. I did session work (both in the studio and live shows) and developed the ability to flip the switch and do the job when the time came. I lived in Los Angeles at the time, where it was routine to sit for 90 minutes on a freeway on the way to the recording session, then have to get in there, set up the gear and DELIVER when the red light came on. The tape (and the producer) don't care if you're in a bad mood: they want guitar tracks, fast, since studio time is not cheap.

I haven't found that switch yet on the golf course. I've been close a couple times, and it seems to be related to getting juuuuust a bit ticked off. That's odd for me as I'm a very easygoing individual and I don't like to be unpleasant so I'm trying to sort out how to find that place and not be an @$$hole. I feel like if I can sort out how to stay confident but not be a jerk, I'll get where I want to be.

Additionally I've been experimenting with changing my internal and external language while out on the course to ONLY speak positively about what I'm going to do, not about what I'm NOT going to do. Trying to stay away from "Don't leave it short" or "don't pull it" and instead say "Let's get all of this one" or something like that, and not allowing any negative self-talk after a bad shot.

DNice26;n8887825 said:
  • I do my best to hit balls and practice my pre-shot routine as often as possible. I tend to get smaller buckets, but practice my routine on each ball. I find a REALLY solid pre-shot routine does wonders for nerves too. When I practice my routine on the range over and over, it builds sort of a muscle memory that helps the nerves fade a little when I step into my "box" so to speak.
  • Mental aspects: Mistakes absolutely WILL happen. I tell myself that I will hit bad shots and likely have bad holes, but that I can't let myself deviate from my process, which I've proven works for me on the range and in practice.
  • Having said the above, this season, I put quite a bit of time into my short game prep. When those bad shots happen, it goes without saying that having confidence in your chipping and putting can right many wrongs.
  • If I'm doing something really well, I actually practice it less. I find that over practicing something your confidence is high in, can go the opposite direction on you pretty quickly. Case in point, this year my driving felt great, so I hardly hit many drivers during my range sessions.

These resonate with me...

I'm changing up my practice routine lately so that once I get warmed up, I'll include my pre-shot routine on every ball I hit. My goal is to practice being intentional about every shot instead of just mindlessly banging away ball after ball.

I'm also finding that it's best for me to set a goal for practice, i.e., I want to work on hitting a fade today. Then once I achieve the goal and can repeat it, I stop.

DNice26;n8887825 said:
Some thoughts based on my recent experience in my local muni's CC:

Funny enough, I think nerves can be a really great thing for your game.

Here are some things (in no particular order) I did leading into my matches this season, that perhaps can help someone about to embark on their journey:
  • Match play strategy: My match play strategy is fairly straight forward - I do my absolute best to end my matches as soon as possible. Obvious here I guess....but my point is that if I get one hole up on a guy, I put all my focus into getting two up on them......then three up, then four up. Golf is a strange game and I don't underestimate anyone or my own potential to do things I didn't expect (good and bad). I think my key here is FOCUS and the more I get up in a match the more focused I try to get to go for another one. I've seen many guys in match play let the cards fold once they get a few holes up on the other guy. Next thing they know, the tide has turned and they get in a panic mode. All of this of course is easier said than done.
  • I like to swing a bit harder when I'm nervous rather than take more club and swing easier. I find that aggressive swings to conservative targets often pan out with better results for my game.
Looking forward to reading others ponders here. So many different ways to approach competition and to achieve your max performance given all the various constraints we face.

My league championship run starts today - The two Monday Night teams will play today to determine who will play in the finals on 9/4 and Tomorrow the Tuesday night club will do the following:
I'll be on one of the teams playing on Tuesday. I have a situation where the person I was suppose to play ("D" Player) will not be there so I will be playing a Sub and I don't know the Subs HDCP as of yet.
So I went to giving shots to possibly getting shots. I played both days over the weekend with the mentality that I'll be getting shots and try to play to a number that I think I need to win.

I love playing Match Play, There is just something about playing golf when there is "Blood in the Water" that gets my juices following - Hence the "Iceman!" Moniker.

I agree with everything you posted, however I will add, that for myself when in doubt, Keep the ball below your waist and let the ground do the work!
Sometimes bad things happen when flying balls in the air when the adrenaline is flowing.

I also like to have a protein drink before hand so that my body has some protein to work on.

Don't do whatever it is I do.

I am averaging 10 strokes more in competitve rounds than casual rounds for the entire year.

McLovin;n8890025 said:
that's a good question. doing what i'm doing now with lessons, and seeing how bad my technique had gotten, in hindsight my practice was just more deeply ingraining my bad habits. practice makes permanent far more often than it makes perfect. so i guess i would answer your question saying no, i can't over practice, as long as i am practice the right things.

I've found that I can sometimes over-practice myself into a segmented slump. In other words, if I'm hitting my driver really well and feeling confident in it, I practice it much less at the range. I focus on my weak points mostly. Golf is such a funny game like that.

5150;n8890076 said:
This is a timely thread as our club championship is approaching and I plan to enter it (first time for me doing that).

I'm 43, didn't take up golf until I was about 30 or so, and didn't start really taking the game seriously until 5 years ago. I've never been a competitive person, never played sports in high school/college... I'm just not athletic, never have been. Golf is the only game I've had any real success with and it's only after putting in a TON of effort.

So - all that said, I just don't have much experience getting into a competitive frame of mind, and I'm just starting to explore that a bit to see what it takes for me to "get there."

The closest experience I have in that realm comes from my days as a guitar player for hire. I did session work (both in the studio and live shows) and developed the ability to flip the switch and do the job when the time came. I lived in Los Angeles at the time, where it was routine to sit for 90 minutes on a freeway on the way to the recording session, then have to get in there, set up the gear and DELIVER when the red light came on. The tape (and the producer) don't care if you're in a bad mood: they want guitar tracks, fast, since studio time is not cheap.

I haven't found that switch yet on the golf course. I've been close a couple times, and it seems to be related to getting juuuuust a bit ticked off. That's odd for me as I'm a very easygoing individual and I don't like to be unpleasant so I'm trying to sort out how to find that place and not be an @$$hole. I feel like if I can sort out how to stay confident but not be a jerk, I'll get where I want to be.

Additionally I've been experimenting with changing my internal and external language while out on the course to ONLY speak positively about what I'm going to do, not about what I'm NOT going to do. Trying to stay away from "Don't leave it short" or "don't pull it" and instead say "Let's get all of this one" or something like that, and not allowing any negative self-talk after a bad shot.

Great correlations here to the music world. It's great how we can pull from different experiences or influences to improve.

Funny, I find that a little bit of anger helps with the focus and I totally get what you mean about not being a Richard about it. It can be a fine line at times that's for sure.....one I'm sure I've crossed at times in my past. I've heard or read (forget which) of the concept of a box around your golf ball where once you step into your box, you flip the focus switch on and put all your focus into producing the best shot you can at that moment. I like the concept and it really resonates with me, as I think I've been doing that for years.

Also....it is funny how nerves and pressure can seriously increase the volume on your inner voice negative talk...… I've noticed that when I'm playing normal rounds without much pressure, those negative talk voices are minimal and can't be detected. As soon as the pressure is on though....it can be a real chore to push past and ignore the negative thoughts that creep in and focus on the task at hand.

DNice26;n8890303 said:
Great correlations here to the music world. It's great how we can pull from different experiences or influences to improve.

Funny, I find that a little bit of anger helps with the focus and I totally get what you mean about not being a Richard about it. It can be a fine line at times that's for sure.....one I'm sure I've crossed at times in my past. I've heard or read (forget which) of the concept of a box around your golf ball where once you step into your box, you flip the focus switch on and put all your focus into producing the best shot you can at that moment. I like the concept and it really resonates with me, as I think I've been doing that for years.

Also....it is funny how nerves and pressure can seriously increase the volume on your inner voice negative talk...… I've noticed that when I'm playing normal rounds without much pressure, those negative talk voices are minimal and can't be detected. As soon as the pressure is on though....it can be a real chore to push past and ignore the negative thoughts that creep in and focus on the task at hand.

Yeah, I am trying to find a way to get the focus that seems to accompany being a little angry, but... minus the anger, LOL. I think the real value of the anger thing for me is that there's some confidence that comes along with it. Generally, when we get p!ssed, we tend towards OVERconfidence - I do, anyway. I start thinking things like "I'm going to sink this putt now" rather than "Gee, I hope I don't leave it short."

Saturday at our 2-man scramble I experimented with positive self talk - often out loud, while walking alone to my ball, so the others don't think I'm crazy, haha - thru the 9 hole round. I'm GOING to hit a good shot, we're GOING to make a birdie, even limiting myself to only positive thoughts when my partner was addressing his shot - he's GOING to drain this, etc.

We got to the last hole and were sitting on -4 for the round, which is usually good enough to take first place.

He pulled his drive OB. I pulled 5-iron and... in hindsight, lost some of that edge, that arrogance. I remember feeling it as I addressed the ball, thinking I should back off and reconsider, but (like we all do) I went ahead anyway - and sh@nked the thing into the woods. We made a double bogey 6 and finished out of the money. -4 took first.

So, yeah, I need to work on keeping that edge, and using it at the proper time. It's tiring to stay in the mindset the whole round, though. I need to work on turning it on and off.

5150;n8890318 said:
Yeah, I am trying to find a way to get the focus that seems to accompany being a little angry, but... minus the anger, LOL. I think the real value of the anger thing for me is that there's some confidence that comes along with it. Generally, when we get p!ssed, we tend towards OVERconfidence - I do, anyway. I start thinking things like "I'm going to sink this putt now" rather than "Gee, I hope I don't leave it short."

Saturday at our 2-man scramble I experimented with positive self talk - often out loud, while walking alone to my ball, so the others don't think I'm crazy, haha - thru the 9 hole round. I'm GOING to hit a good shot, we're GOING to make a birdie, even limiting myself to only positive thoughts when my partner was addressing his shot - he's GOING to drain this, etc.

We got to the last hole and were sitting on -4 for the round, which is usually good enough to take first place.

He pulled his drive OB. I pulled 5-iron and... in hindsight, lost some of that edge, that arrogance. I remember feeling it as I addressed the ball, thinking I should back off and reconsider, but (like we all do) I went ahead anyway - and sh@nked the thing into the woods. We made a double bogey 6 and finished out of the money. -4 took first.

So, yeah, I need to work on keeping that edge, and using it at the proper time. It's tiring to stay in the mindset the whole round, though. I need to work on turning it on and off.

Totally agree.

It's kinda like we need to get the "second shot guy" on the course, you know when you miss the first putt, hit it again and drain it. I'm not sure I recommend this, but I've gone through stretches where I imagined I missed my putt already and I was about to hit the second one....odd thinking, but it has worked for me at times.

Positive or confident, focused thinking is huge in this crazy game!

By the way DNice26 - great topic and I enjoy this type of discussion. I tried to start a thread on a similar topic awhile back and didn't get much traction so I'm glad we're kicking it around.

I know I could get my THP card revoked here but I just don't have much interest in discussing the gear or the rules or the tour. Personally I dig talking about THE GAME and how we play it.

DNice26;n8890371 said:
Totally agree.

It's kinda like we need to get the "second shot guy" on the course, you know when you miss the first putt, hit it again and drain it. I'm not sure I recommend this, but I've gone through stretches where I imagined I missed my putt already and I was about to hit the second one....odd thinking, but it has worked for me at times.

Positive or confident, focused thinking is huge in this crazy game!

I read Zen Golf recently and got a ton out of it. Still working out the application of those lessons but I'd recommend the book if you haven't read it.

I had a recent incident re: confidence that was funny and, in hindsight, enlightening.

3 man scramble, late in the afternoon/early evening on a Friday, we were on our 3rd playoff hole and probably had 12-15 people total cruising around with us, enjoying the evening and a few beverages.

One of our opponents out-drove me then started chattering about it since he's about 15 years older than me.

I had a twitch of that arrogance pop up, so I said hey, ok then, me and you - closest to the pin. $10. He says sure.

I stuffed the thing. Pin high, 6 inches away. Crowd goes wild.

He hit a 3-hop dribbler than somehow meandered its way up to about 3 inches, and the crowd goes wild AGAIN, haha. I shook his hand, laughed and paid the $10, but I was internally fuming about his lucky shot.

Next hole - we used my drive, my approach, and I drained the birdie putt. Next hole, par 3, we used my tee shot, then I drained the birdie for the win and got my $10 back.

THAT's the gear I need to find for competition: pleasant, fun-loving, but just pi$$ed off enough to zero in and deliver. Wish I could bottle that up and sell it.

5150;n8890386 said:
I read Zen Golf recently and got a ton out of it. Still working out the application of those lessons but I'd recommend the book if you haven't read it.

I had a recent incident re: confidence that was funny and, in hindsight, enlightening.

3 man scramble, late in the afternoon/early evening on a Friday, we were on our 3rd playoff hole and probably had 12-15 people total cruising around with us, enjoying the evening and a few beverages.

One of our opponents out-drove me then started chattering about it since he's about 15 years older than me.

I had a twitch of that arrogance pop up, so I said hey, ok then, me and you - closest to the pin. $10. He says sure.

I stuffed the thing. Pin high, 6 inches away. Crowd goes wild.

He hit a 3-hop dribbler than somehow meandered its way up to about 3 inches, and the crowd goes wild AGAIN, haha. I shook his hand, laughed and paid the $10, but I was internally fuming about his lucky shot.

Next hole - we used my drive, my approach, and I drained the birdie putt. Next hole, par 3, we used my tee shot, then I drained the birdie for the win and got my $10 back.

THAT's the gear I need to find for competition: pleasant, fun-loving, but just pi$$ed off enough to zero in and deliver. Wish I could bottle that up and sell it.

Wow, killer back and forth there!!!! Hahaha....

I will check that out (Zen golf). I recall hearing or reading about it, but didn't look more into it.

I would highly recommend Dr. Bob Rotella's books and audio books, like Golf is not a game of perfect. I've found his stories and thoughts on playing golf with your eyes has been very helpful at times.

DNice26;n8890402 said:
Wow, killer back and forth there!!!! Hahaha....

I will check that out (Zen golf). I recall hearing or reading about it, but didn't look more into it.

I would highly recommend Dr. Bob Rotella's books and audio books, like Golf is not a game of perfect. I've found his stories and thoughts on playing golf with your eyes has been very helpful at times.

I'll give that a look; thanks!

What types of competition do you find yourself in on the golf course? How's that going for you?

First off, I should say, I have never played in a CC to date. I wouldn't mind trying next year if my game continues to improve.

That being said, one thing I learned from my short career in distance running... NOTHING new on game day.

OGputtnfool;n8890516 said:
First off, I should say, I have never played in a CC to date. I wouldn't mind trying next year if my game continues to improve.

That being said, one thing I learned from my short career in distance running... NOTHING new on game day.

Absolutely! Play the game you brought with you. Oh hey, I've never hit a great flop in my life, but there's a tight pin and a bunker short - I think I'll try it!

5150;n8890504 said:
I'll give that a look; thanks!

What types of competition do you find yourself in on the golf course? How's that going for you?

I played in High School and college and now I play in my local muni’s men’s club tournaments and Club Championship. I will also try the local MGA’s Mid Amateur for S+Gs. I enjoy it the competition. It brings a whole different dimension to the game.
I recently just won my CC, so that was fun.

Back