Hogan and misconceptions

rocullen

Reaction score
Through the years I've read numerous posts on what Hogan said or did.

People claim the golf swing in not hand action and claim Hogan said "the hands do nothing" and don't finish the statement.

They say Hogan didn't do what he said he did. I don't think they finished the book.

They say his methodology is a slice factory and didn't read too carefully. His weak grip was a personal adjustment not meant for everyone.

I say most of these naysayers were incomplete readers!

What say you?

Hogan is a legend and as years go on, his feats, swing, etc become god-like. I’ve never seen him play live :).

With that being said, I’m as likely to follow Hogan swing tips as much as I am Babe Ruth diet advice.

rocullen;n8889116 said:
Through the years I've read numerous posts on what Hogan said or did.

People claim the golf swing in not hand action and claim Hogan said "the hands do nothing" and don't finish the statement.

They say Hogan didn't do what he said he did. I don't think they finished the book.

They say his methodology is a slice factory and didn't read too carefully. His weak grip was a personal adjustment not meant for everyone.

I say most of these naysayers were incomplete readers!

What say you?

I think the biggest thing anyone can take from Hogan's book, is that you should build a swing you can repeat under the biggest of pressures. If you play a 30yd slice to put it in play, but it's gonna be a 30yd slice every time? You never have to worry about the ever looming left shot where you have no idea what caused it, or how to fix it.

I'm at this dilemma myself! I have read this book numerous times. My swing has been horrible lately. I've tried to follow all the steps in the book, but find myself slicing the ball badly! I fashioned my grip after his to only realize it's "very weak" and a main culprit in my swing fault. I'm currently switching to a "stronger" grip!

I think that the things which worked for Mr. Hogan are the complete opposite of what would work for the average person. Hogan struggled with a hook, most people struggle with a slice. Hogan's swing was all about avoiding the left side of the hole, most of us struggle with avoiding the right side of the hole.
Id say that a lot of what Hogan said he did was nonsense and was intended to throw his competitors off and feed the legend of Ben Hogan. I admire and respect the heck out of Ben Hogan. He's one of my personal golf heros but I question a lot of what he said about the golf swing. If you found a secret, why would you give your secret away to your competitors so that they could use it to beat you?

Badger_Golfer;n8889286 said:
I think that the things which worked for Mr. Hogan are the complete opposite of what would work for the average person. Hogan struggled with a hook, most people struggle with a slice. Hogan's swing was all about avoiding the left side of the hole, most of us struggle with avoiding the right side of the hole.
Id say that a lot of what Hogan said he did was nonsense and was intended to throw his competitors off and feed the legend of Ben Hogan. I admire and respect the heck out of Ben Hogan. He's one of my personal golf heros but I question a lot of what he said about the golf swing. If you found a secret, why would you give your secret away to your competitors so that they could use it to beat you?

The secret is in the dirt, gotta dig it out of there.

I’m with you, the more I tried to do what he was talking about the further right it went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

why the heck would the ball go right by what he said? Did you try to use "his" weak grip? It was his personal adjustment and did not "recommend" it at all.

Badger_Golfer;n8889286 said:

That's funny.

I guess that's why most of the tour players read or have read it; at least a bunch of the older players.

rocullen;n8889481 said:
That's funny.

I guess that's why most of the tour players read or have read it; at least a bunch of the older players.

Yeah, I mean Hogan's books are great if you hook the ball. He will help you to not close the clubface as much but I dont know how much it would help the average person.

I think Hogan's 5 Fundamentals is a book to be studied for what you can learn from him about the golf swing. His understanding is what is worth mining.

I just bought the 5 fundamentals because a lot of the stuff I read on the Internet tends to quote the book. I have been struggling with a slice after a year of not practicing (had a baby). While waiting for the book to arrive, I read about adjusting to a higher loft as well as a strong grip while choking down a bit. As of this past friday, I went to the range with my TM R11S set to a 12* loft, sole plate adjusted to neutral (which in essence has it closed slightly), choking down to 45", and a strong three knuckle grip. I was able to stop slicing and can even hit a nice baby draw. I haven't read the book yet, but are you telling me the book is going to tell me to do the opposite?

TMNTHacker;n8897239 said:
I just bought the 5 fundamentals because a lot of the stuff I read on the Internet tends to quote the book. I have been struggling with a slice after a year of not practicing (had a baby). While waiting for the book to arrive, I read about adjusting to a higher loft as well as a strong grip while choking down a bit. As of this past friday, I went to the range with my TM R11S set to a 12* loft, sole plate adjusted to neutral (which in essence has it closed slightly), choking down to 45", and a strong three knuckle grip. I was able to stop slicing and can even hit a nice baby draw. I haven't read the book yet, but are you telling me the book is going to tell me to do the opposite?

It will help you understand how to build a swing that will hold up under pressure. That’s what I took from it.
But yes, if you follow it step by step & the whole deal, it’ll go right.

Matthew;n8897262 said:
It will help you understand how to build a swing that will hold up under pressure. That’s what I took from it.
But yes, if you follow it step by step & the whole deal, it’ll go right.

Still gonna read it, just take everything with a grain of salt.

TMNTHacker;n8897267 said:
Still gonna read it, just take everything with a grain of salt.

Oh, it’s a good read.

TMNTHacker;n8897239 said:

no, it won't make you go right. Stay with your strong grip. Hogan said he made a personal adjustment because he had trouble with a hook. He does not tell you or anyone to take a weak grip unless you might want to stop hooking.

My parents didn’t have money for golf lessons when I quit baseball for gold at age 13. My dad was a single digit handicapper at the time and told me everything I need to know about the golf swing was in Hogan’s book. It became my bible and three years later I had my first sub par round. To me Hogan’s “Five Lessons” holds a special place in my heart because it gave me what I needed to get to a plus index without any lessons from a PGA pro. I still read it every spring and it’s my reference whenever my ball striking is poor.

Back