Malaska Golf - Swing Coach

X.Man

Reaction score
Handicap
Came across this instructor via his YouTube channel (link below). He has a membership website (not expensive). Trying to wrap my head around His teaching principles but the logic makes sense to me. Anyone else try or heard of him?

https://www.malaskagolf.com/landing/

Search YouTube for: Malaska Golf

The video that sparked my interest:

https://youtu.be/JKagw8I26mE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen him on the golf channel before! I think he is connected to the Jim Flick teachings.

I started to implement his swing philosophy about three weeks ago. Man what a difference. He is a disciple of Flick and Toski. He talks about swinging the weight of the club.. he let's the momentum of the club rotate his body. I've been in the high 70's to low 80s for years now with a body rotational swing and after only three weeks shot 73 on Saturday.. IMO the swing is effortless and easy to tell where the club face is at all times.. I'm a member of his site and am super excited about the future of my game

Wanted to add this video. I think this is 1 of his most watched video on youtube. This is the basic "principle" in action for his methods i believe

I like this video of his:

Same information, but I think something like a tennis racket/frisbee/steering wheel helps to get a better feel of what your trying to accomplish with his method.

It's also a good video because at the end he talks about his method being a feel versus real thing. That the practice swing is just to get the feeling necessary to overcome the forces generated in the downswing.

that's also a good video. A lot of it makes sense to me. Going back to a few lessons I took a couple years ago I was going past parallel at the top of my backswing. The instructor had me make a conscious effort to feel as if I was only making a half or a partial swing in order to stop that. The natural momentum caused by my Takeaway, although I "felt" as if I was only making a half swing, was actually allowing me to only get to parallel although I "felt" like I was only making a 1/2 swing.

I'm definitely not a swing guru by any means, but doesn't this method seem to contradict all the "shallowing out" of the club face that is taught by a lot of online guys these days? ggswingtips, for example.

I stumbled onto one of his videos and really liked what I saw. It finally clicked on me a few things that my instructor has had me working on but I obviously wasn't grasping.

His over the top from inside makes so much sense to me. I signed up for the website and will likely keep it for several months as I feel at $10.00 a month it is pretty damn good value.

I just found him the other day, and saw a video he had done with BeBetterGolf (another youtuber). I like the idea of over the top from inside out, I tend to come from too far inside at times, and have a terrible snap hook when my swing isn't in tune. Trying to work in some of his philosophy may do me some good.

I'm definitely not a swing guru by any means, but doesn't this method seem to contradict all the "shallowing out" of the club face that is taught by a lot of online guys these days? ggswingtips, for example.

I'm no swing coach either...far from it. Limited knowledge here. But from my understanding I think the industry as a whole is going to a more "swallowing out" method of instruction. Ggswingtips is more of a seperation guy (may be wrong) but based on this video, Malaska explains the different types of swings in a simple and easy way to understand and I think ggswingtips falls under the "seperation" type of swing

https://youtu.be/FDqLWVO77cM

I just found him the other day, and saw a video he had done with BeBetterGolf (another youtuber). I like the idea of over the top from inside out, I tend to come from too far inside at times, and have a terrible snap hook when my swing isn't in tune. Trying to work in some of his philosophy may do me some good.

I stumbled upon that same video after watching one about changing the way you putt forever (or something like that). I linked around and watched some other videos. I found it pretty interesting and he had some pretty interesting ways of explaining things. Same with Monte Scheinblum. I like how the both have similar thoughts on lag and that you don't make it rather it is just a result of naturally being in the correct position.

If you watch the video I posted he says it's just a feeling and not actually what is happening. The club still needs to shallow from the top of the swing, but this over the top from the inside move keeps the club from coming too far from the inside. The move is just a feeling to counter the natural dropping of the clubhead and keeps everything on plane.

It also may not be the best thought for someone who is over the top and swinging with their upper body. But this really helps those that are too in to out.

If you watch the video I posted he says it's just a feeling and not actually what is happening. The club still needs to shallow from the top of the swing, but this over the top from the inside move keeps the club from coming too far from the inside. The move is just a feeling to counter the natural dropping of the clubhead and keeps everything on plane.

It also may not be the best thought for someone who is over the top and swinging with their upper body. But this really helps those that are too in to out.

You should check out the BBG video with Tony Luczak where he explains what causes the over the top move. This was actually the 1st vid I saw that got me totally rethinking how I approached the swing.

Mike Malaska and Tony Luczak saved me from walking away from the game for a while. I went into a terrible slump a while back that I couldn't break out of. My frustration level was at an all-time high. Went to a couple of different instructors who really preached the aggressive hip rotation, square the clubface with your body swing. It did nothing for me. In fact, things just got worse for the most part. I saw the BBG vids with Tony and Mike, took what they had to say out to the range and saw immediate improvement in my ball striking.

Thanks. Really enjoyed watching that. Some really good things in there. I'm going to check out Tony Luczack more after the holidays.
And look at the Malaska videos too.

You should check out the BBG video with Tony Luczak where he explains what causes the over the top move. This was actually the 1st vid I saw that got me totally rethinking how I approached the swing.

Mike Malaska and Tony Luczak saved me from walking away from the game for a while. I went into a terrible slump a while back that I couldn't break out of. My frustration level was at an all-time high. Went to a couple of different instructors who really preached the aggressive hip rotation, square the clubface with your body swing. It did nothing for me. In fact, things just got worse for the most part. I saw the BBG vids with Tony and Mike, took what they had to say out to the range and saw immediate improvement in my ball striking.

Again, THP members providing valuable input. I have been pondering Malaska's online training for about a week. I tried Mark Evershed's 7 day trial offer but it does not relate to me as well as the Malaska YouTube videos I have seen. I am going to give it a try. Thanks for the inputs on this forum.

Again, THP members providing valuable input. I have been pondering Malaska's online training for about a week. I tried Mark Evershed's 7 day trial offer but it does not relate to me as well as the Malaska YouTube videos I have seen. I am going to give it a try. Thanks for the inputs on this forum.

Pretty sure he has a free month going on right now (the first month is free then recurring $10/month) or pay yearly and get 2 months free ($100 up front gets you 12 months). I chose the yearly model so I could see a bit more on what I was getting.

Pretty interested in this. I've been working for months with my instructor to get my hips turning correctly on the downswing, but something is not clicking. After watching a few of his videos yesterday I tried some of it last night, and was making much better contact with more speed than usual, and the hips were turning pretty well. I was pretty consistently about 10 yards left of target though. I'm going to try and not get too excited, but I'll have to check out the free month at least.

@Easy8 that video made A LOT OF SENSE. i'm now very intrigued

Watched those videos from Mike yesterday, took the theory to the short course today, spent nearly 3 hours just chipping and pitching and have to say it went really well. His theory on swing resonated with me so much, coupled with my natural swing it just seemed to click.

Thanks

Is it me or are the videos on his website just kind of random with no continuity or progression really? I was expecting something a little different.

Was working with SteveO2113 at the range on Thursday on this method. He has a video on hip rotation and I think that's where I need to head next as I have to work on some drills to keep my right hip from moving towards the ball during the downswing. Want to work on shortening the backswing just a tad as well

https://vimeo.com/196178404

Started watching some of his older videos and it's a very interesting concept and many of the swing flaws he identifies in his lesson videos are what I fight. The feelings he talks about make sense

Just finished reading the posts/watching most of the videos. Thanks for posting, guys! The "swing over the top from the inside" makes a lot of sense to me. I'm very interested in trying the drills out & seeing how it improves my swing. I'll follow along with this thread.

One thing I've been more & more concerned with lately is injury. As I get older, I just feel like trying to make my swing the same way that the tour pros make theirs is a recipe for disaster. Any videos discussing this in particular?

I'm no swing coach either...far from it. Limited knowledge here. But from my understanding I think the industry as a whole is going to a more "swallowing out" method of instruction. Ggswingtips is more of a seperation guy (may be wrong) but based on this video, Malaska explains the different types of swings in a simple and easy way to understand and I think ggswingtips falls under the "seperation" type of swing

https://youtu.be/FDqLWVO77cM

I feel like I've been trying to do a combination of the "body rotation" swing & the "separation" swing & it's starting to hurt my back. Nothing serious - yet. Just feels like it's starting to take a toll & if I don't change something soon, I'm gonna get hurt sooner rather than later.

Thanks again for posting. This might be what I need going forward.

Watched a few of the Malaska Youtube videos a couple of months ago. Working on that feeling of standing the shaft up in the early stages of the downswing has really helped me in delivering a square club face at impact more consistently.

Back