Lake Tahoe Open - Part Deux - 2019

For those who played, which golf course did you like best of all ?

I was not a huge fan of Genoa Ranch. It had an interesting layout with tough undulating green, but lacked the touch expected from a course during peak season (e.g. bare spots in the fairways and terrible bunkers with compacted sand). Add the gusting winds and it was a challenging day.

With all that said, I’d do it again at Genoa Ranch in a heartbeat to be able to tee it up with any of these 17 guys I had a great time meeting Vortex (David) and OldeDude (Curt) and finally putting a face to the name Shanewu (Shane). Good time fellas and a BIG thanks for making Lindsay feel welcomed.

I’m as frugal as they come. When Adam said $300 for Edgewood, I cringed and my wallet tightened. Going back to my original sentiment, I figured what the hell, I get to golf with some old friends and make some new ones. Edgewood lived up to the price tag and was extremely enjoyable despite being heavy “left-to-right”. Great for RH faders of the ball, but not so much for LH faders of the ball

The one thing I loved the most about Edgewood are the trees and “crack” sound they create when you hit your ball especially off the tee with a driver (I’ll post some videos soon). It reminded me of Spyglass Hill.

Had a great time meeting brianmk24 (Brian) and Rock26 (Rock). Finally had a chance to golf with Breaking79 (Jay). Thanks for the good memories and accepting Lindsay on the Back 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s you’re CTP winner on #17. My favorite part is cheers you hear is from the gallery on the boats just off the green.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-vxmmPzdFg

Absolutely great hole... and a great shot by Vortex (Dave) hole is so picturesque and seemed to have boater fans on the lookout for good golf shots!
Enjoyed the hell out of the day and weekend!

The wedge prize from the raffle on Friday afternoon.
58fabe122ea63d134ae51f7100c59e23.jpg
17907b1ab302300eb45de1546fb759ee.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Great looking wedge Tanker... hope you bought a lottery ticket on you way back to AZ!

Hit'em well today fellas! Incline Village is a great course... wish I could've stayed for a Monday round!

How's it going out there? We need some more pictures of incline village.

57ee7a9b4433672a81393af7cf343002.jpg

3082aa89e0ea0b866d41500493582767.jpg

b8e4644f73fafaccd071e67eb163ae03.jpg

601ccd906c07c7b17297d5bfa1cfd477.jpg

6079d862f361b8b60adb9b845f78859d.jpg

Airport burger w/ MikeG & Dave before heading out.

31c71f4cdd569b6e9fa22c5e8141988f.jpg

Absolutely great hole... and a great shot by Vortex (Dave) hole is so picturesque and seemed to have boater fans on the lookout for good golf shots!
Enjoyed the hell out of the day and weekend!

How many boats did you take under fire?

How's it going out there? We need some more pictures of incline village.

Incline Village Championship course is in fantastic condition. Edgewood was the best course of the wknd but Incline Village Championship easily takes 2nd place. Play was a bit slow so Nate, MikeG and I had to leave after 16 holes to avoid flight issues.

The greens are tricky to read/putt for me but that was a theme for the entire trip.

What a weekend! Heading home right now and will post some of my favorite pics/holes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I had so much fun on this trip. I got to play with some old friends, and met some new ones. To everyone that went, thanks for making it such a memorable experience, and I can't wait to do it again. And to Adam aka SlightDraw, thank you for setting this up. Every detail of it was fantastic. Schanker, you make a mean meal man! Props to ya!

And special thanks to MikeG for the awesome gift. You da man.

I'm about an hour from home sitting in ****** traffic on Cajon Pass, and I just can't stop thinking about this weekend. Edgewood was phenomenal. Genoa Ranch was an unbelievable challenge in the wind. And congrats to Nate on the well deserved win. It was truly inspiring to watch you play man. Anyway, I should probably pay attention to the road now.

Til next time fellas...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

How many boats did you take under fire?

You’ll be surprised to know that from our group of Vortex, Schanker, Kevin81002 and myself we all hit the green... Kevin’s ended up just on the fringe.... Vortex had his own cheering section as well!

And yours truly made birdie

Some of my photos from Saturday at the Genoa Lakes Course:

Adam leads us off on #1

Lakes 01.jpg

Lakes 02.jpg

Lakes 03.jpg

Nate

Lakes 04.jpg

Tim

Lakes 05.jpg

Some pics from Saturday at the Genoa Ranch course:

Ranch 01.jpg

Ranch 02.jpg

Ranch 03.jpg

Ranch 04.jpg

I will post some photos from Edgewood later.

10 minute sprint to my connecting flight in Phoenix!! Still got it!! Sort of......

Shanewu and I inadvertently met up with JHicks in the highway traffic and we dropped anchor at Chick-Fil-A for dinner.

A happy and well-fed Shane and Brian in the car
07911ee9a0420c73ada9ccfaa3ac81ce.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

A few photos from Edgewood Sunday:

Edgewood 01.jpg

DufferToo

Edgewood 02.jpg

Edgewood 03.jpg

Tanker337

Edgewood 04.jpg

Edgewood 05.jpg

J-Pin

Edgewood 06.jpg

Edgewood 07.jpg

I made it to Salt Lake City and will be here for the next 3 hours because the connecting flight is delayed 2 hours. New landing time is 1:15 AM which means after 2:00 AM before I get home. Just a hunch but tomorrow is going to be a rude kick in the coconuts. Oh well, I’m not going worry about things beyond my control.

The delay created a good opportunity to share some random top-of-mind thoughts from the weekend.

First, it was one heck of a weekend! I was extremely impressed with Adam before the event started. Items like the online scoreboard spreadsheet, printed scorecards, bag tags, and overall organizing skills are a few examples. Little did I know, this was just the beginning.

Nate, MikeG and I met at the Reno airport and drove to Incline Village Mountain executive course. Josh (mr. hicksta), MikeG and I played together and the side game involved counting the number of greens hit on par 3s. Each player received one raffle ticket for each green hit. Tanker337 won the raffle and Adam handed him a sweet Mizuno blue wedge. What???, that’s incredible!

Calculating distances at 6,500 feet is easier said than done. Josh knows his tech and brought a range finder with slope and elevation features. He shared a few numbers with Nate (in the group behind us) who immediately went from flying balls over the green to throwing darts. Having the right number makes a huge difference. Thanks Josh.

Here’s an elevated green example. FYI - our group went 3 for 3.

c2fc162073cbd407c6b3fd3e3e72c317.jpg

Schanker shared his cooking skills with the group on Friday evening with tri tips and sides. Chapeau Tim! The meal was delicious.

Saturday’s round at Genoa Lakes and Ranch was a story of two halves. Weather conditions in the morning were close to ideal. Warm, sunny and a light breeze. The same couldn’t be said for the afternoon round at Ranch. This course has a lot of elevation change and I think every group watched the wind blow at least one ball across the entire green. My personal highlight was hitting a 250+ yard 5 iron. The extra 50 or so yards was a direct result of a huge tailwind and big elevation drop.

Edgewood was the crown jewel course and it exceeded expectations. The photos do a great job of capturing the mountains, pine trees, and lake. It’s not a cheap round and they don’t offer a replay rate (&$/-8?!) but everyone had a great time. Good resort courses are forgiving but in pristine condition. Edgewood easily checks both boxes. Marshalls rake bunkers and fix pitch marks for you. That’s a nice touch and it keeps people moving.

Incline Village Championship was our final course for the trip. This was my 5th consecutive day of golf and 6th out of the last 7. My elbow and back are feeling the toll. Pfff...suck it up buttercup! The Championship course is very nice and Adam secured 8 discounted vouchers for us. Nate, MikeG and I had to bail after 16 holes due to time concerns about getting to the airport. Thankfully, we didn’t have any traffic problems and made it with an hour to spare. Playing 17 & 18 would have created a redline situation.

It’s really amazing to meet a collection of 16 guys from all walks of life around the country (NJ, TX, AZ, KS, MN, CA, & HI) and share a game we all enjoy. Golf is fabulous but so was EVERY person at the Lake Tahoe Open. Adam, thanks again for your efforts. I hope to make the invite list for Lake Tahoe Open - Part Trois - 2020.

Last edited:
Delta is kicking butt and taking names this evening. They upgraded my seat and then loaded 1st class while the cleaners do their thing in economy class.

Decisions, decisions, decisions ... cocktails, movie, read, nap, or all the above?

ca160e947d566c63e2416a99694754ea.jpg

Back