Wilmington, NC courses

Carolina Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
What are good courses in Wilmington, NC for the average golfer?

Welcome to Wilmywood! Public and semi-private golf courses are fading away here in Wilmington. In the last 2 years, we lost 2...Echo Farms and The Cape at Masonboro CC. So, that leaves Wilmington Municipal and Beau Rivage Golf Resort, this is where I normally play. The great thing about living in Wilmington is you are 1.5 hours from Myrtle Beach and over 100 golf courses. So, the availability, difficulty level, and price is offered in a huge array, this is leading to the decline of courses in Wilmington. There are half a dozen private courses in town, one being Eagle Point that hosted a PGA event in 2017. This is also true of hotels and lodging. You can stay in Myrtle Beach for considerably less than Wilmington/Wilmington beaches.

Wilmington, NC courses

JBC3 is right about the Muni and Beau Rivage being the only options now but depending on where you are staying you could play Castle Bay on the north of town or magnolia greens in Leland.

I love the muni but it can get pretty busy/slow out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are good courses in Wilmington, NC for the average golfer?

Compass Pointe, Magnolia Greens, Cape Fear National I think they are doing all the greens at the Cape and you'd be playing temp greens so I've been told, Castle Bay is nice and they are changing the greens too so you'd be playing on temp greens as well. I've been down the the muni but it was packed and trying to get a tee-time has been a bit of a nightmare. I drove an hour north to Clinton and played Timberlake, I thought that was a very nice 18, cheap too.

My home course Beau Rivage is a good fair 18, no holes alike. Good grass driving range, practice green and chipping area. Plenty going on here. I've found its usually easy to get on. After 2pm most days you will find a tee-time or just walk up an play or try for an early morning 18.

To be honest, Wilmington is just up the road from Myrtle and its an easy drive, some good courses on the way down there too, a few great ones in and around Calabash which is about an hour away.

If you want to play Beau give me a shout and I'll take you out for 18.

The makings of a possible foursome.

giphy.gif

J.B. Cobb III;n8598677 said:
Let me know and I will take you to Beau Rivage!

Thanks, J.B and Blame Me. Sorry, for the delayed reply. I haven't been on lately. Actually, I am not in the area. But, my son just moved to Wilmington. Anyone in the THP group in their 20's in the Wilmy area? He has days off during the week, Tues, Wed, Thurs.

I visited last Thursday and played the muni. It was a good value. I'll check out Beau Rivage in the future.

After Labor Day, I will have Tuesday and Thursday mornings available. My daughter is starting preschool then. I'm 35.

Ok, cool JB. That works. I'd like to connect you with my son. I'll send you a private message to exchange contact information!

Last edited:
Was in Wilmy today and played Beau Rivage. If you play well, I'd say the course was decent. But, unfortunately I was not striking the ball well and I hit the rough around the edges parts of the course. There were lots of sandy sparse areas and plenty of weeds! The pluses were nice carts with comfy gray seats. Also, they gave me the local rate and it put me closer to Carolina Beach! Thus far, I give the edge to the muni. Hoping Magnolia Greens is worth the higher green fees.

If anyone is in the area Saturday, my subdivision is having our annual golf tournament. 18 holes Par 3 Teams of 3/4 10AM $10 entry fee

Back