Guests at your course

Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This past weekend I ran into a guest at the course who wanted to chat. He was from Massachusetts and happened to see the sign on the interstate and stopped to play. He was amazed that the course in such great shape for a 9 hole muni. Said he had not putted on greens that where as good and fast as theses even in his home state. Price was great he said and he really enjoyed the course and would stop the next time he was thru to play again.

So if guest stop at your course, would they be happy or disappointed in course?

Frustrated is the word I would use, because it usually kicks them in the ass lol.

But in the end they enjoy themselves quite a bit.

Overall pleased with the conditions for a public course that won't cost an arm and a leg to play but would probably be frustrated by the narrow fairways and small greens.

At the last course I was a member at they would be content, not mega happy or disappointed. There are no standout holes and the greens are a little inconsistent, but the course is in pretty good condition and it's a nice walk.

They might like the new par 3's but rebuilding one of them was pointless as you can't see the rebuilt area from the tee box

During baseball season, we get pitchers playing all the time - especially on Mondays. We are the closest course to Downtown St. Louis, so they all take an uber over to the course to get 18 in before the next series starts. They are always happy with the course.

I think if you randomly stopped off of interstate at our course you would be pleasantly surprised. Our course runs along I94 on a couple of holes with a big sign. You would probably comment on the quality of the greens, especially for a public course. I have honestly not played on nicer greens than ours more than a couple of times. They are quick and roll true.

This past weekend I ran into a guest at the course who wanted to chat. He was from Massachusetts and happened to see the sign on the interstate and stopped to play. He was amazed that the course in such great shape for a 9 hole muni. Said he had not putted on greens that where as good and fast as theses even in his home state. Price was great he said and he really enjoyed the course and would stop the next time he was thru to play again.

Depends on the weather, honestly.

We recently had the MET (Amateur championship) hosted at our course, along with the member/guest and club championships all within about a month. It's very hard on a course to have it 'dialed up' for that kind of time. After months of rain, we've had a couple weeks of hot hot hot weather and the course is beginning to 'bleed' from it.

With that said, the greens are rolling fast and true. The fairways are mostly in great shape and the rough can be both fair or penal. I think someone coming in from off the street would be spend more time talking about the great layout produced by Arnie.

I'm on the golf board of my local 9. We played a round with a guy from Golf Canada last week, he took pictures of the course, and interviewed us on the deck. And during the interview the people that were playing behind us came by, and I said, "I hope we didn't hold you 2 up, we were just taking a few pictures". They say "you never really held us up, and we are just enjoying the weather, and this beautiful course, what a gem!" Then they said they were from Newfoundland and were golfing a lot of the courses in the area and liked this one the most for a 9 hole course.
Best endorsement to the Golf Canada guy for sure.
He posted a picture of our island green on Facebook, and said "where am I", and a guy from 200km away instantly posted "that's Birch Hills". I'm very lucky to have this in my backyard, and only $600 membership.

i don't have a home course. the course i play most of my golf i think people would generally be pleased with the conditioning and layout. if they're going to complain, it would be about pace of play, and how grainy the greens are.

Great question.

I think they would be perplexed?

Good conditions - slower greens but fairways and greens are well maintained- some of the bunkers are tough

Course is short so it might get them too.

I dunno Probably a mixed bag based on response, they would also complain about pace of play unless they met me there at sunrise lol

Would be greatly impacted by time of year.

Colder (non-rainy) months I think they'd generally be pleased.

The warmer, rainy months can produce long stretches where maintenance necessarily suffers. Just can't get heavy equipment on the wet soggy marsh so everything gets a little overgrown relative to optimal conditions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If they liek being challenged, they will like the course. On the surface it is pretty straightforward, but has it's tricks, and the greens can be tough. They can be very fast, and depending on hole location, SOBs.

The course I play most would make them frustrated. It can be hit or miss conditions wise but its a tough course

I think guests would be pleased with my home course. It's pretty cheap to play and though it's not perfect - I think it's an enjoyable and quick round of golf.

The course keeps getting better and better to - so I think it'd be one they could play again and again and still have fun.

Candidly, it depends on the year. This year they would be very impressed - last year they would not. Way too weather dependent for my liking

Price wise they would be disapointed, but on the course they would see a fair test of golf that requires some different shots. Greens aren't that overly complex, but have some nuance to them. Can't spray it off the tee either, you don't have much room to miss.

My course is deceptively tough. It's mostly right out in front of you, but it's tight and the greens are small so your short game better be ready. There are also several dog legs that get short real quick if you are working the ball against the curve. The layout uses the prevailing winds against you also.

Last edited:
Depends on the wind conditions that day... It's a good track, and the recent Ben Hogan Experience was held there.

Surprised by the lower cost, and the somewhat suprisingly decent condition for a course at that cost.. but then annoyed about the overall overbooking and slow pace of play

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A guest would likely be happy with "my" course - a nice, well kept municipal.

I think they would be generally pleased. The course is fairly priced. On all but a couple of tees, you've got room, if you don't try to bite off too much. The greens are fair but, from May to September, you pretty much have to be under the hole. Long misses leave downhill plays that can get away from you pretty easily. They would likely be disappointed in the condition of the bunkers, pace of play and the lack of adult beverages and food.

I played with a guy who had never played my 9 hole muni about 2 weeks ago. We were walking and it is a lot hillier than it appears. He was huffing pretty good by the 3rd hole. Then the 4th hole is a 430 yard par 4 uphill that plays about 460 (Driver-Hybrid). He swore that it was a lot longer. After we were done he said that he got more than his money’s worth.

I think they would be disappointed with the condition of the overall course, the greens are pretty decent most of the time but they haven't put any money into the course in forever.

Pretty cool 'review' of a little ol' Kansas course! :D

Back