Below Nav Bar Ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have an arch nemesis hole?

I have two, at least at the courses I have played a bunch.

One is the second hole at our local 9 hole muni. Itís a short Par 3 that has a green the size of a postage stamp, itís an absurd size for a local course that would challenge anyone. Itís literally crested in the center, and the design is simply a factor of the amount of space on the course.

The other is a hole we play at our yearly scramble. Itís a long par 4 on the side of a hill, the left is tall grass, hit it there itís gone. The right is essentially a cliff/hill tall grass there too and at the bottom is the fairway on the 17th. Top it off with raised middle of the fairway that makes it a blind shot off the tee.

Both get me every time.
    2019 Grandaddy Member
    Gamers
    :
    z545 9.5 Driver - Attas Cool 7X
    F65 3w 15 deg - Mizu 6X
    King Utility Black - AMT white x100
    z545 4-PW - DG x100
    CBX 48, CBX 54, RTX 2.0 60 - DG x100
    Spider Limited Putter - Game
    Sigma 2 Arna - Under Review
    Four 5 14-way Bag
    Tri-Swivel II Cart
    Snell MTB Black

Under Review/Tinker:
    Sigma 2 Arna - THP Review
    910H 19 deg - Aldia NV green - Tinker
    FlexTech Lifestyle Bag 5 way - THP Review

Yes. 2 on the same course that I am hoping to bogey them both.
    WITB
    Srixon Z785 Driver 9.5* W/Aldila Rogue Silver Stiff
    Srixon F85 3W 15* W/ Aldila Rogue Black Stiff
    Srixon H85 Hybrid 16*
    Srixon U85 22*
    Srixon Z785 5-PW W/C-Taper Lites
    Cleveland RTX 4 Raw Mid 50, 54 & 58 C Taper Lites
    Odyssey SL Double Wide 34.5”
    Srixon Z-Star

2019 Distance Powered by Srixon & Cleveland Golf #TeamNoelle

Comment

The Ocean Course at Hokuala (Kauai) always gives me fits. I have lost close to 10 balls over 4 rounds on this hole. It can play between 425-450 (Par 4) into some wind. If I have a path, I ALWAYS go for it in two and I have had my fair share of Tin Cup moments where I have plunked multiple balls into the water. Sure I could go ahead and drop up by the water after the first one but hey what would Roy McAvoy do?

Epic Flash SZ
      Epic Flash 3W
      Big Bertha 4H
      CF16 - Recoils
      MD4 (50,54,58)
      PM GRIND 19
      Toulon PDX
      Truvis

Comment

The 16th at my home course,. It's a shortish par 4 (350ish) with a slight dogleg left. Green is elevated (upside down bowl) and no easy putts.

I cannot figure it out. If I go driver I can get far enough up to leave an easy wedge in, but too straight or right and I'm dead.

Playing shorter if you leave it left side you get blocked out on the approach.

To top it off the trees both sides mean I often forget the wind and get my approach wrong.

I've made a few birdies but too many times I've wiped it for no reason other than numpty shots

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk
        My *NEW* Golfing Goals ...

1) Get to 2 - I achieved 5 and then dropped back to 7 so its time to step it up a level
        2) (Carried Over) Shoot a Sub par round (Best Round so far - even par)
        3) Start a golf related side hussle project

4) Keep taking Truvis pictures https://www.instagram.com/golfwithchriso97

Comment

Originally posted by SlightDraw View Post
          The Ocean Course at Hokuala (Kauai) always gives me fits. I have lost close to 10 balls over 4 rounds on this hole. It can play between 425-450 (Par 4) into some wind. If I have a path, I ALWAYS go for it in two and I have had my fair share of Tin Cup moments where I have plunked multiple balls into the water. Sure I could go ahead and drop up by the water after the first one but hey what would Roy McAvoy do?

2019 Grandaddy Member
          Gamers
          :
          z545 9.5 Driver - Attas Cool 7X
          F65 3w 15 deg - Mizu 6X
          King Utility Black - AMT white x100
          z545 4-PW - DG x100
          CBX 48, CBX 54, RTX 2.0 60 - DG x100
          Spider Limited Putter - Game
          Sigma 2 Arna - Under Review
          Four 5 14-way Bag
          Tri-Swivel II Cart
          Snell MTB Black

Under Review/Tinker:
          Sigma 2 Arna - THP Review
          910H 19 deg - Aldia NV green - Tinker
          FlexTech Lifestyle Bag 5 way - THP Review

Comment

#8 on my home course is a Par 3 that can play from 175 to 210 depending on tee box and pin placement. bunkers on both sides of the green. I have a habit of hitting a snap hook off the tee.
            Driver Maybe something Flash?
            Fairways Some more awesome Flash?
            Irons I have no idea what might go in here!!!
            Wedges probably some MD goodness
            probably something that rolls awesome
            an awesone ball

Humbled member of Team THP in the 2019 Grandaddy with Callaway.

2016 Cleveland Short Game Shootout
            "Forget the last hole played, you can't change the outcome. Move on."

Comment

At my home course I have between 16 and 18 nemesis holes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
              Spoiler
              Rouge 10.5 Driver
              Steelhead 4 & 5 hybrid

In my: Mizuno BR-D4C
              Driver: Rouge 10.5 Degree w/ Dyamana DF reg flex shaft
              Fairway Woods:Epic Heavenwood
              Hybrid: Steelhead 4 hybrid
              Irons: Big Bertha w/ Recoils Reg. Flex
              Putter: Odyssey O Works #7s
              Wedges: MD 3 54, MD3 PM Grind 56, 60
              Balls: Chrome Soft, RXS,
              Twitter: @Just_hacking
              Big Bertha 2015 6 - AW Irons
              Mack Daddy 3 54
              Mack Daddy PM Grind 56, 60
              EXO 7s w/ Counter Balance grip

Comment

The next one.
                You ain't bonafide.

WITB:
                G400 Max
                0311 Gen 2 XF Irons/Wedges
                Rogue Hybrids
                F9 FW
                Tour Spider Putter

Comment

The 5th at Apple Mountain, a pretty long double dogleg par-5 (Whites - 530 yds, Blues - 550 yds), and the only hole on the course that I've never made par. Tee shot is less than driver, out a chute, to a generous landing area (as long as you don't go through the fairway). Second shot cut as much of the corner on the right as you can, but a miss right puts you on a steep hillside above the fairway. Third shot is uphill to a small green. Even on my good days I'll either miss my approach with a money club in hand, or three putt for bogie. We won't talk about the bad days on this one.

The flyover video really doesn't do this one justice, as you don't get the feel of how steep the hillside is along the whole right side after the first dogleg, or how deep the grass is on that hillside.

Par 5 - Hdcp 3 - 413-571 yds: A true three shot, double dogleg par 5. Tee shot of 180-200 yards
                  is ideal. Best to keep your second shot simple, a 200 yard shot played just to the right of the 150 pole
                  is preferred. Uphill shot to the green plays one club longer.

In My Exotics Xtreme2 Cart Bag:

Driver: Exotics EXS 10.5į, Proforce V2
                  Fairway: Exotics EX9 Tour 17į, Rogue Black
                  Hybrid: Exotics EX9 Tour 20į, Recoil 780 ES
                  Irons: Z355 4 - PW, Jinsoku Graphite
                  Wedges: RTX 2.0, 50į ••, 56į••, 60į•,
                  Recoil 95
                  Putter: Huntington Beach SOFT #11

Ball: E6 / Q-Star Tour

Comment

I have three in a row at maybe the toughest local course I play about once a month.

Holes 16, 17, and 18 wreck my rounds almost every time.

16 is a par 5 that forces me to lay up or else end up in a watery ditch. The second shot has water all down the left side with a fairway that funnels in that direction.

The green is surrounded by water on three sides, and is notoriously fast. Above it on the right are several bunkers. Very easy to roll into the water from one of these.

17 is a par short par three with water in front and a green that can just be ridiculous with certain pin placement.

18 is a short par 4 with an approach with water on 3 sides and again a slanted green with bunkers above.

This stretch is just above my current abilities.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

#11 at Morgan Creek is one where I just can't seem to find a good place off the tee 9 times out of 10. Even my good shots seem to find a bunker, a tree, or rough on a sidehill. Par is hard, bogey is likely.
                      Epic Flash 9.5* [Tour AD-IZ 7x]
                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 15* [Tour AD-IZ 7x]
                      Big Bertha 3H & 4H [Tour AD-DI 95 S]
                      Apex Pro '19 5-AW [DG Tour Issue 120 S-400]
                      MD4 56* S-Grind & PM Grind 60* [DG Tour Issue 120 S-400]
                      Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
                      Chrome Soft X

Comment

Mine is the third hole at a place I play quite a bit, since it's only five minutes from home. Also, the guy that runs the course often lets the local high school kids play for free, so my son and I can take a cart out for a quick 9 and it's only $18 total for the two of us. This hole just eats me alive. I'm just not accurate enough at all. I've played this hole well over a hundred times over the years and I don't think I've ever made par. Plenty of triples and worse though. One of these years I'll finally get smart and hit 9-iron 3 times in a row then hope to make the putt.

From their website:
                        Hole #3 420/360 yard Par4

This hole is and has been rated as one of the hardest holes in WNY!!! Play it once and you will not forget this place. The tee shot requires absolute precision w/ distance (and lots of time, LUCK!). Driver isnít always the wisest play here, as you want to get the ball down the left center of the fairway to have any chance of an ďeasyĒ second shot to a green thatís rarely hit in regulation. Take your medicine on this hole and be proud of a bogey!

Overhead view:
                        Image-1.jpg
                        Last edited by gonyr; 07-16-2019, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OldeDude View Post
                          The 5th at Apple Mountain, a pretty long double dogleg par-5 (Whites - 530 yds, Blues - 550 yds), and the only hole on the course that I've never made par. Tee shot is less than driver, out a chute, to a generous landing area (as long as you don't go through the fairway). Second shot cut as much of the corner on the right as you can, but a miss right puts you on a steep hillside above the fairway. Third shot is uphill to a small green. Even on my good days I'll either miss my approach with a money club in hand, or three putt for bogie. We won't talk about the bad days on this one.

The flyover video really doesn't do this one justice, as you don't get the feel of how steep the hillside is along the whole right side after the first dogleg, or how deep the grass is on that hillside.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40384[/ATTACH]
                          Par 5 - Hdcp 3 - 413-571 yds: A true three shot, double dogleg par 5. Tee shot of 180-200 yards
                          is ideal. Best to keep your second shot simple, a 200 yard shot played just to the right of the 150 pole
                          is preferred. Uphill shot to the green plays one club longer.

I might not come back to that course based on that hole alone. Otherwise, put me down for an ESC 7 and let's get on with our day.
                          WITB
                          What's in the Ogio Grandaddy bag:
                          Driver: Rogue 10.5* - HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 63g
                          FW: GBB 3W 15* - HZRDUS T800 6.0 65g
                          Hybrid: Apex 2H 18* - Mitsubishi Kuro Kage
                          Irons: XR Pro 4-AW - True Temper XP 95 S300
                          Wedges: RTX-3 54/11, 58/6 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge
                          Putter: EXO Rossie 34"
                          Ball: ChromeSoft/ Penta TP/TP5

Comment

Holes 1 and 3 at my home course always mess me up. I've let them get to me mentally and can't get over it. I'm such a mental case .
                            Proud Team THP alum in #TheGrandaddy 2018

Driver:
                            Epic Flash 10.5* w/ XT60
                            3 Wood: Epic Flash Sub Zero 15* w/ XT60
                            5 Wood: Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* w/ XT60
                            Hybrid: Apex 23* w/ 80HY
                            Irons: Apex Pro 5-AW w/ Modus 3 Tour 105
                            Wedges: 56* MD4, 60* PM Grind w/ Modus 3 Tour 120
                            Putter: Azalea
                            Golf Ball: Chrome Soft X Triple Track

Comment

my answer to the thread topic is yes, and one exists on pretty much every course i play. but this one in particular has my number.

itís long enough to require driver or a well-hit fairway wood. there is a big tree on the right, so you have to hit it perfectly straight or fade it. but about 70 yards ahead there is a big tree on the left. the street runs down the right, as well as some houses. to say there is a premium on accuracy is an understatement.

but as many fits as i have with the tee shot, the approach is just as bad. this is one of the bigger greens on the course, and there is very little trouble around it. long or right are dead. but for some reason, i have shanked and lost more balls ob right on this hole than any other i can remember. something about it is in my head, and i rarely ever hit a good approach shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              awesomeness
                              perfection
                              innovation
                              excellence
                              brilliance
                              pioneering
                              leading
                              redefining

Humbled, honored, and beaming with excitement to be the Captain (what, CAPTAIN???) of Team THP in the 2019 Grandaddy with

Comment

Above Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X