St Augustine / Jacksonville

Mmaynard11

Grandaddy Captain Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Alright need some quick recommendations for playing golf in above areas. Let’s not even throw out TPC Sawgrass. Quick round after work tomorrow.

Let’s go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock Beach just south of there.
LPGA a little further south.
Amelia Island not too far.
Slammer & Squire and King & Bear at World Golf Hall of Fame

Thanks JB...would love to swing Hammock Beach, but will be a late afternoon round. I couldn’t remember King & Bear for the life of me.

If you’re going to the World Golf Hall of Fame, keep in mind those two courses are way different. Both are really nice and you’ll be treated well but the Slammer & Squire course is usually cheaper and is definitely the more user friendly course. The King & Bear is exhausting. It’s not just longer but it’s meaner too...all sorts of side hill lies on the fairway, long carries over water, trees placed where only a psycho would think to put one, etc.

If you’re going to the World Golf Hall of Fame, keep in mind those two courses are way different. Both are really nice and you’ll be treated well but the Slammer & Squire course is usually cheaper and is definitely the more user friendly course. The King & Bear is exhausting. It’s not just longer but it’s meaner too...all sorts of side hill lies on the fairway, long carries over water, trees placed where only a psycho would think to put one, etc.

Well that is good to know as well. I’m up for a good challenge.

Do you know if they have rentals?

I just drove up from Miami and am playing Sawgrass tmrw for (buddy got me $65 ��������.Rate) Before I'm headed to the golf hall of fame for an hour. This was so unexpected and I'm riding a golfing euphoric high. I played Pebble Spyglass, Half Moon Bay and Harding Park last month plus all Tahoe courses. I've prolly played 30 rounds in the last 40 days in between a lot of Poker which is my profession. I'm thinking about hitting Tampa and Innisbrook after. To add to it, I played my best round in a decade 2 days ago at a tough Pete Dye course. Hope it carries over to tomorrow.

Well that is good to know as well. I’m up for a good challenge.

Do you know if they have rentals?

Don’t know but doubt it...both pro shops are more touristy than functional.

Don’t know but doubt it...both pro shops are more touristy than functional.

Just checked there website and they do...I’ve never rented clubs before, but $70 seems pretty steep. Oh well you’ve got to pay to play and this could turn into a cash cow. Need shoes, glove, balls, tees.

Should have played this one out better.

Just checked there website and they do...I’ve never rented clubs before, but $70 seems pretty steep. Oh well you’ve got to pay to play and this could turn into a cash cow. Need shoes, glove, balls, tees.

It’s on the higher end, but likely a newer set for that price.

Make sure to book your tee time through the internet.

I wasn’t pushing you towards one course or the other, just letting you know they’re different. The Slammer & Squire is no slouch...if you get a little wild and start missing fairways and greens, you can easily lose a ton of balls and shoot a hundred. But, if you’re hitting well and keep it in play then you should have a good round. The King & Bear doesn’t automatically reward good shots...you can hit the ball great, figure since you’re in the fairway that you’re in good shape, and then you get up to the ball and it’s like....seriously? Typical Nicklaus design. It’s a great course and the better of the two if you wanted to have some higher end competition. But, if you’ve never played there before and have no local knowledge of the course, it’s a frustrating place. Probably takes a few rounds to figure where you have to hit it and where you absolutely can’t. The other course is much more see target, hit ball.

St Augustine Distillery, oh whoops that's something different.

Nope but you just gave me an idea for after the round.

Make sure to book your tee time through the internet.

I wasn’t pushing you towards one course or the other, just letting you know they’re different. The Slammer & Squire is no slouch...if you get a little wild and start missing fairways and greens, you can easily lose a ton of balls and shoot a hundred. But, if you’re hitting well and keep it in play then you should have a good round. The King & Bear doesn’t automatically reward good shots...you can hit the ball great, figure since you’re in the fairway that you’re in good shape, and then you get up to the ball and it’s like....seriously? Typical Nicklaus design. It’s a great course and the better of the two if you wanted to have some higher end competition. But, if you’ve never played there before and have no local knowledge of the course, it’s a frustrating place. Probably takes a few rounds to figure where you have to hit it and where you absolutely can’t. The other course is much more see target, hit ball.

We ended up making a tee time at Slammer & Squire.

Nope but you just gave me an idea for after the round.

We ended up making a tee time at Slammer & Squire.

Good choice...much more enjoyable for a one time casual round.

St Augustine Distillery, oh whoops that's something different.
Plus right next door is the Ice House where you can be on an upper balcony with a great gin & tonic and awesome fish taco. They use gin from the distillery and make their own tonic... outstanding!

Well that was a fun course to play. I actually enjoyed the round. Course was in great condition and I was reminded how much I hate the Bermuda greens down here. Shot an 84 with rented clubs so I’m happy.
6754d4ecd0ac2b5f0c4b6d7cc4d3145b.jpg
436e457f47d2d9297d494ddb87505e2e.jpg
7e4df7ab7d75f49cb14775c54768b264.jpg

Hey @mmaynard11 we will have to get a THP outing together with Albatross Club members when everything is settled.

I'm driving to Bunnell this afternoon to help my parents out this weekend. My dad will probably have me play with his group again Sunday(I don't get it, its like he thinks they'll forget him since he can't play right now unless I join them). Just let me know when I need to come back again.

Bringing this thread back. Not for golf sadly but for beaches. Planning to do a mini beach day on our way home Fri. What’s the best spot around St Augustine to spend a few hours friends?

Bringing this thread back. Not for golf sadly but for beaches. Planning to do a mini beach day on our way home Fri. What’s the best spot around St Augustine to spend a few hours friends?
St. Augustine Beach.

St Augustine Beach is good along with Crescent Beach just south of there. That allows for food options right off the beach. If you have a 4 wheel drive you can drive on Crescent z beach for a fee.

Happy to hear you are in the area. If you are driving North on I-95 back to Ohio, I’m about 2 1/2 hours away from St. Augustine, only a few miles from the interstate. Would love to meet another Team Paradise member and maybe play some golf with you at the Sapelo Hammock Golf Club in Shellman Bluff, GA as my guest if you have any flexibility in your travel plans.

Do you want busy beach with shops and restaurants or quieter more natural? At Aug beach would be the first, but if you want more natural just south of that around Matanzas Inlet and Washington Oaks is nice, or just north is Anastasia Island State Park (which would have food nearby).

Happy to hear you are in the area. If you are driving North on I-95 back to Ohio, I’m about 2 1/2 hours away from St. Augustine, only a few miles from the interstate. Would love to meet another Team Paradise member and maybe play some golf with you at the Sapelo Hammock Golf Club in Shellman Bluff, GA as my guest if you have any flexibility in your travel plans.
Very much appreciate the invite but I’ll have the family and we are just doing a quick stop

Very much appreciate the invite but I’ll have the family and we are just doing a quick stop
This is code for not into bad touch. :ROFLMAO:

Back