Ohio, Indiana & Surrounding Area chat thread

Had an enjoyable round at Elks Run in Batavia today with @LLIB and @KY Golfer. It was first time playing and was impressed with the course. Good variety in holes despite being on a relativity small piece of property. Only downside was playing first 3 holes in the rain

Had an enjoyable round at Elks Run in Batavia today with @LLIB and @KY Golfer. It was first time playing and was impressed with the course. Good variety in holes despite being on a relativity small piece of property. Only downside was playing first 3 holes in the rain

It was fun. Looking forward to doing it again

Agree with you on the course. Even tho I didn't have my A game today, it was fun. It's fun to watch you play. Very impressive to say the least. Ready to do it again anytime.

Do they have multiple courses?
One 18 there. We played Eagle Sticks before that round. not too far if you were looking to make a trip of it.

I saw today that the pre-qualifier and Monday qualifier sites for the Workday Charity Open (first event at Muirfield Village this year) were announced. The pre-qualifier will be held July 2nd at Golf Club of Dublin and Monday Q will be July 6th at The Country Club of Muirfield Village. It will be interesting to see what numbers those guys throw up at Golf Club of Dublin. It is one of my favorite courses to play but have never found it to be particularly difficult. I am guessing it will take 62 or 63 to advance to the Monday Q.

This one has been on my list of courses to play. Heard nothing but great things! Have you played there a lot?
Nerdy and myself played there Saturday. Course was in great condition but man those greens were rolling. A few were slow and the rest were fast. So a lot of putts missed on both of our parts.

Nerdy and myself played there Saturday. Course was in great condition but man those greens were rolling. A few were slow and the rest were fast. So a lot of putts missed on both of our parts.

Nice! What is the course like layout wise? Open? Small greens? Etc.

I saw today that the pre-qualifier and Monday qualifier sites for the Workday Charity Open (first event at Muirfield Village this year) were announced. The pre-qualifier will be held July 2nd at Golf Club of Dublin and Monday Q will be July 6th at The Country Club of Muirfield Village. It will be interesting to see what numbers those guys throw up at Golf Club of Dublin. It is one of my favorite courses to play but have never found it to be particularly difficult. I am guessing it will take 62 or 63 to advance to the Monday Q.
Agreed there aren’t too many dangers lurking. I was thinking right at 62/63 as well. There’s going to be some low scores out there.

Nice! What is the course like layout wise? Open? Small greens? Etc.
For me it seemed a lot of open shots but choosing placement off tees... Curvature of holes with fall offs and corners. Trees are there on a few holes, water on a few approaches and par 3s.. fast greens and amazing conditions. Picturesque views on the huge par 5 on front #3 and downward sloping par 5 like #7 to the peninsula green with water in the back.

Two distinct 9s front is huge on slopes and elevation... Then back turns flat and rolling with fescue ... Awesome

For me it seemed a lot of open shots but choosing placement off tees... Curvature of holes with fall offs and corners. Trees are there on a few holes, water on a few approaches and par 3s.. fast greens and amazing conditions. Picturesque views on the huge par 5 on front #3 and downward sloping par 5 like #7 to the peninsula green with water in the back.

Two distinct 9s front is huge on slopes and elevation... Then back turns flat and rolling with fescue ... Awesome

The two times I've played it, I've enjoyed the front nine more than the back nine, but that probably because I spent a good amount of time in that fescue

Sounds pure, and open.. which I love.

The two times I've played it, I've enjoyed the front nine more than the back nine, but that probably because I spent a good amount of time in that fescue
I spent some time wet in that par 5 that bends around the water on back 9 might be 16...woof

I spent some time wet in that par 5 that bends around the water on back 9 might be 16...woof

#1 - don't go right - leaves an adventure back to the green

#9 - make sure you clear the water

#16 - bail out left, way left

Yep, remember those few holes vividly

Since Kentucky really doesn’t have its own thread, I’ll put it here.

If you’re ever in the Louisville, Ky area, make Nevel Meade in Prospect a priority. You won’t find many better for $55 on the weekends.
06A5F1B6-F501-4F28-9ADD-03D699723AB6.jpegE199EAFF-239B-43D1-9601-63C03B2DBCE6.jpeg9BACD770-B30B-4BBB-90CB-EFE6410E3310.jpeg

Played Deer Ridge this afternoon and the course is in fantastic shape. The course is extremely fun and gives some shots that are hard to find in Ohio. Greens were good speed, a little bumpy due to poa in the greens. I know some believe the greens at Deer Ridge can be unfair. But I didn't find that to be the case. You just need to take care to stay below the hole.

The only downside to Deer Ridge is the utterly stupid par 3 7th hole and the 8th hole if playing the tips. The 7th hole is a blind uphill par 3. In which you can't see the flag stick from the tee. The 8th hole is a downhill par 4. When playing the tips you can't see the fairway, or green on the tee. All you see are trees. Which gives the impression you are hitting into a forest. The fact you can't see the ball land doesn't help. Those minor annoyances aside this course should be a must play for anyone in Ohio. Also there was no @smitter sighting

Ha! Just seeing this. I play Deer Ridge every year and if you hit it at the right time, it’s not bad. Hit it it when it’s hot and dry and those greens get shiny? Then you’re praying that the person setting the pins isn’t a non-golfer or a sadist. Because they’ve got at least one of those on staff that at least is one of those things.

7 is dumb, I don’t mind 8 as much but I know where to aim.

I’ve only picked up my ball there twice, both times on 9. Both times you could not get the ball to stop outside of holing a 25 foot putt from directly below the hole. I’d get it to the cup, and it would roll back to my feet. Do that narrowly missing 3-4 times and I’m moving on with my day.

My kids golf team played a tournament there as well as several matches. Our 3 (or 4?) man, normally shot in the upper 80’s for 18 turned in a 150 there. Just constantly in bad position and then could not get the speed of the greens although there weren’t any impossible pins that day, just very hard to read greens that you need to under the hole to have any prayer.

I agree on the must play. Doesn’t mean I always am happy about it, lol once the rounds underway.

Since Kentucky really doesn’t have its own thread, I’ll put it here.

If you’re ever in the Louisville, Ky area, make Nevel Meade in Prospect a priority. You won’t find many better for $55 on the weekends.

LOVE this course. Haven’t had a chance to play it in the last couple years, going to change that this year!

The scores will be stupid low there and TCC, still shocked they are playing at TCC. I hope Steve can make it out, he's and awesome guy.

LOVE this course. Haven’t had a chance to play it in the last couple years, going to change that this year!
If you need someone, shoot me a message when you go.

Hello All -- I am new to the site but have been reading posts for quite some time.

For many years we've had a group of guys head to Black Diamond near Millersburg OH to play, what is, my favorite course. Not to dissimilar to Deer Ridge. Beautiful hilly terrain, difficult but playable, extremely reasonable greens fees, and an absolute blast to play. I've never been disappointed even if I play like garbage (which is pretty typical).

However, we have not played Black Diamond in a couple years and I've been hearing some rumblings that the conditions have deteriorated somewhat. Does anyone have any insight?

The scores will be stupid low there and TCC, still shocked they are playing at TCC. I hope Steve can make it out, he's and awesome guy.
In looking at the names in the pre qual. I will be shocked if Steve doesn't advance to the Monday Q. Also shocked Steve has to play in the pre qual.

Hello All -- I am new to the site but have been reading posts for quite some time.

For many years we've had a group of guys head to Black Diamond near Millersburg OH to play, what is, my favorite course. Not to dissimilar to Deer Ridge. Beautiful hilly terrain, difficult but playable, extremely reasonable greens fees, and an absolute blast to play. I've never been disappointed even if I play like garbage (which is pretty typical).

However, we have not played Black Diamond in a couple years and I've been hearing some rumblings that the conditions have deteriorated somewhat. Does anyone have any insight?
That course is just a series of kicks to the groinal area. That said, I love playing there for a lark. I accept the dozen balls I'll lose.

-10 today at TCC to Monday qualify for the extra event this week. -8 didn't make it, golf is insanely good right now.

-10 today at TCC to Monday qualify for the extra event this week. -8 didn't make it, golf is insanely good right now.

Was the course setup easy for the qualifier? these guys will play here on this weekends tourney right? -10 by a borderline pro?

Sorry for the comments as I have no idea how this stuff works.

Back