Michigan hackers, check in here

I guess if you're interested, drop myself a PM? I'll get ahold of the Buckeye guys and see what we can do. Depending on the interest maybe teams of 8-10?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I think that's a pretty solid number of participants. Especially because you'll have to get 4-5 tee times in a row at a course or two in order to get it done. Put me on the list.

Ok, last course question for you guys. Anyone play Ravines in Saugatuck lately? Just found that one after expanding my search from South Haven out a bit. Price looks good, only $55 compared to $85 at Hawkshead.

Ok, last course question for you guys. Anyone play Ravines in Saugatuck lately? Just found that one after expanding my search from South Haven out a bit. Price looks good, only $55 compared to $85 at Hawkshead.

Played the Ravines yesterday. The greens were just top dressed and there was a lot of sand to putt on. Otherwise it is a great course. Seniors like me it is only $34. Hawkshead is nice but way overpriced imo.
Cannot go wrong with the Ravines.

Played the Ravines yesterday. The greens were just top dressed and there was a lot of sand to putt on. Otherwise it is a great course. Seniors like me it is only $34. Hawkshead is nice but way overpriced imo.
Cannot go wrong with the Ravines.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I think I'll be playing Ravines first thing next Friday morning.

Looks like I'll be playing Arcadia Bluff South course on Sunday afternoon and hopefully the Bluffs course sometime next week. Excited to finally get out there while we're visiting on vacation. :)

Looks like I'll be playing Arcadia Bluff South course on Sunday afternoon and hopefully the Bluffs course sometime next week. Excited to finally get out there while we're visiting on vacation. :)

Very cool post some pics! I’ve still never been there haha

Very cool post some pics! I’ve still never been there haha

Definitely will. I'm all about the pictures....

Some room on Sunday if you want to make the trip. 3:36pm. Got the twilight rate which is nice. :)

Definitely will. I'm all about the pictures....

Some room on Sunday if you want to make the trip. 3:36pm. Got the twilight rate which is nice. :)

I'd love to but cannot make the drive this weekend. Have a blast and play well!

I'm joining a buddy from Grand Rapids playing the hemlock next week Monday in Ludington. Then a day at Manistee National on Tuesday.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My wife whipped together an impromptu Traverse City trip this week. I asked locals for a nice, not too difficult course, and they suggested Bahle Farms in Sutton’s Bay. It’s carved out of a cherry farm. We played this morning. Wow, it was quite beautiful, and not too challenging for a hacker such as myself.

So I did make it down to play Hemlock and Manistee National, Hemlock is a nice course for the money but I thought the greens were very slow. The course is worth checking out if you are in the area. We both enjoyed Manistee National much more. The courses are in great shape and the greens are fantastic! Canthook Valley is a much more enjoyable course in my opinion than cutters ridge. We played it twice and really enjoyed it.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

So I did make it down to play Hemlock and Manistee National, Hemlock is a nice course for the money but I thought the greens were very slow. The course is worth checking out if you are in the area. We both enjoyed Manistee National much more. The courses are in great shape and the greens are fantastic! Canthook Valley is a much more enjoyable course in my opinion than cutters ridge. We played it twice and really enjoyed it.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I hope I get a chance to play Manistee National this year before the season is over! I really liked it when we did it last year!

Played Pine Knob golf course yesterday for the first time with @Lions81. Was a fun round albeit slow for an early Sunday morning. Course was decent, had some good views and greens were in decent shape. They definitely rolled pretty well. For $60 it was worth it I think.

Looks like Im moving back to the East side. Golf get together soon?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Where are you moving to?

I've got a decent 3 courses lined up for the next few rounds. Gateway, Pierce Lake, Calderon. Should be pretty fun.

Now that I find myself unemployed and looking for a new job, I have a lot more time for golf. I've been playing 9 holes each day for the last two weeks, and the scores have been dropping, as long as I don't pull the driver out of the bag.

At this point I'm convinced that I just cannot hit a driver, even with the TS3 that I was fitted into thanks to THP and Titleist last fall that plays at 44", I slice the driver 50 yards left on 90% of my swings and the ball is going shorter than my 5i thanks to all the side spin. I can hit my 5w off a tee or the deck and get a solid 180+ yard carry with a nice baby draw on every swing that I don't top, and my hybrids are just about perfect. So why can't I hit what is supposed to be the easiest club in the bag????

Yesterday I played the Dunes at Boulder Pointe leaving the driver in the car and hit 6 fairways and 7 GIRs. I walked away with a 44 due to poor putting.

I'll be heading to the range today, taking 3 drivers with me, just to see if it isn't maybe the club itself. I doubt it though.

MichiganGripRip;n8876495 said:
I've got a decent 3 courses lined up for the next few rounds. Gateway, Pierce Lake, Calderon. Should be pretty fun.

Are you playing Gateway in Romulus? I played it about a month ago and it was in decent shape. I'm also playing in an outing there in September too. We played it from the tips and I shot a 77, but there's a few holes that can really hurt you if you're not careful.

Adam Hartzell;n8878311 said:
Now that I find myself unemployed and looking for a new job, I have a lot more time for golf. I've been playing 9 holes each day for the last two weeks, and the scores have been dropping, as long as I don't pull the driver out of the bag.

At this point I'm convinced that I just cannot hit a driver, even with the TS3 that I was fitted into thanks to THP and Titleist last fall that plays at 44", I slice the driver 50 yards left on 90% of my swings and the ball is going shorter than my 5i thanks to all the side spin. I can hit my 5w off a tee or the deck and get a solid 180+ yard carry with a nice baby draw on every swing that I don't top, and my hybrids are just about perfect. So why can't I hit what is supposed to be the easiest club in the bag????

Yesterday I played the Dunes at Boulder Pointe leaving the driver in the car and hit 6 fairways and 7 GIRs. I walked away with a 44 due to poor putting.

I'll be heading to the range today, taking 3 drivers with me, just to see if it isn't maybe the club itself. I doubt it though.

Perhaps a PING driver might help?!

Lets not turn this into a spam issue please. Thank you.

Following up on my earlier post.

It turns out that my setup with the driver was the main cause of the problem. After making a change,. Now hitting a near straight ball with the driver and I'm seeing a sold 225yrd carry on the Trackman.

I did also make a shaft change to bring the ball flight down and swapped out the head weight to swing weight where it needs to be.

I'm playing 18 tomorrow morning and I'll let everyone know how it goes.

darkhors;n8881027 said:
Are you playing Gateway in Romulus? I played it about a month ago and it was in decent shape. I'm also playing in an outing there in September too. We played it from the tips and I shot a 77, but there's a few holes that can really hurt you if you're not careful.

I live less than 2 miles from there. I missed my opportunity to play there last week. This week is Washtenaw Golf Club

Adam Hartzell;n8881263 said:
Following up on my earlier post.

It turns out that my setup with the driver was the main cause of the problem. After making a change,. Now hitting a near straight ball with the driver and I'm seeing a sold 225yrd carry on the Trackman.

I did also make a shaft change to bring the ball flight down and swapped out the head weight to swing weight where it needs to be.

I'm playing 18 tomorrow morning and I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Happy to hear you corrected it! What shaft swap did you make?

Stribs;n8881974 said:
Happy to hear you corrected it! What shaft swap did you make?

I swapped to a Graphite Design AD-DI5 R1, but then pulled it back out during warm-up for today's round. I just couldn't generate any clubhead speed with the driver and my 3H was carrying further. I put the Diamana LTD Red 50 back in and got some of the distance back, but I still couldn't get the driver to carry any further than my 5W. I know that I'm not feeling tired as all my other clubs were carrying the ball at the normal distance I'm used to.

I played two balls off each tee and the 5w and Driver all had roughly the same total distance. I'm at a bit of a loss as to why this is without a launch monitor to get numbers from.

Played Cherry Creek yesterday and Fieldstone today. During warm-up before both rounds maybe 10% of driver swings wouldn't slice, so I chose to leave that club in the trunk so I wouldn't be tempted. I focused on course management playing a lot of hybrid tee shots that kept me in the fairway and I managed to hit 8 greens at Cherry Creek and 11 today at Fieldstone. Even managed to stick a green with a 5i for the first time today. Shot 89 at Cherry Creek and 88 at Fieldstone.

I need to work on chipping and putting some more and I feel confident that I can shoot in the low 80s. Though, if I could actually hit a driver and use a 9i or wedge into the green instead of a 5i or hybrid.....

Good news is that I did get a job offer today! I've still got two more weeks until I start, so if anyone wants to meet up for a round next week I'm available. Labor Day week, I'll be heading up to Houghton Lake for 5 days of golfing with some good friends and could use some more practice.

Back