New England Members

welcome to THP. you have some good guys up in the area to hopefully tee it up with.

Mikey D;n8876739 said:
Found this site while looking for information on the Callaway CS Truvis balls and figured I'd join. I'm a hacker who's next goal is to break 90 consistently. Shot 90 once this year, but the last few rounds have been low to mid 90s (down from 100+ last year). Short game is the bane of my existence.

Typically play Trull Brook (my league course), GHIN home course is Windham as I have good friends that play there quite a bit and the 90 round was at Butternut. Also enjoy playing Butter Brook. Always looking to play new courses, although I've played most of the public courses in the Metro West / North Shore area.

Looking forward to exploring the site some more.

Welcome to THP. Play Trull a lot too. Windham CC is one tough course narrow and unforgiving. Have not played the BB in a while.

I have not found Trull that bad luckily otherwise I would have done the same. I know a bad experience on a course can leave you not wanting to return, not going to mention (Hillview) the course in a public forum.

Mikey D;n8876739 said:
Found this site while looking for information on the Callaway CS Truvis balls and figured I'd join. I'm a hacker who's next goal is to break 90 consistently. Shot 90 once this year, but the last few rounds have been low to mid 90s (down from 100+ last year). Short game is the bane of my existence.

Typically play Trull Brook (my league course), GHIN home course is Windham as I have good friends that play there quite a bit and the 90 round was at Butternut. Also enjoy playing Butter Brook. Always looking to play new courses, although I've played most of the public courses in the Metro West / North Shore area.

Looking forward to exploring the site some more.

Welcome! I play Butter Brook a pretty good amount, especially in the shoulder seasons, as I live not too far from there. 90 at Butternut is a good score - if you're sideways that course can make for a looooong day.

rlefig;n8876899 said:
I have not found Trull that bad luckily otherwise I would have done the same. I know a bad experience on a course can leave you not wanting to return, not going to mention (Hillview) the course in a public forum.

Trull has been really good the last few years; always in good shape. We play 9 every Wednesday night and it sometimes backs up a bit, but nothing too bad. Renee in the bar takes care of us, so we have fun every week. We did Hillview one year and that was enough.

mpeterson;n8877085 said:
90 at Butternut is a good score - if you're sideways that course can make for a looooong day.

Yeah, everything was working that day - long and straight, short game was on and I made a few long putts. Felt great, wish I could do it consistently. Only really messed up two holes, one because I misread the distance on my approach shot and came up short in the drink (#3) and #10 where my first two shots went about 200 yards total, leaving 400 left. After the third shot, I had about 190 left and decided to lay up instead of trying a miracle blind shot over the pond. On in 5 with a two putt. I guess double bogey on that hole isn't all that bad considering. If I'm getting bogeys, I'm happy. My neighbor had the long day - he couldn't keep it straight off the tee and seemed to be playing out of the woods a lot

Mikey D;n8877425 said:
Yeah, everything was working that day - long and straight, short game was on and I made a few long putts. Felt great, wish I could do it consistently. Only really messed up two holes, one because I misread the distance on my approach shot and came up short in the drink (#3) and #10 where my first two shots went about 200 yards total, leaving 400 left. After the third shot, I had about 190 left and decided to lay up instead of trying a miracle blind shot over the pond. On in 5 with a two putt. I guess double bogey on that hole isn't all that bad considering. If I'm getting bogeys, I'm happy. My neighbor had the long day - he couldn't keep it straight off the tee and seemed to be playing out of the woods a lot

10 is a dog of a hole! In reality, it is a poorly designed hole vs a lack of skill on our ends. The second shot is kind of a dead space shot as there is no real landing area... if the courses extended the fairway around that bend it would be a better hole. That area just ends, its neither fairway, rough, or hazard and is just kind of a poorly maintained mess.

pictures of atkinson CC today.Course was in great shape. 7 iron not so much:(

Attachments

• photo35868.jpg
    photo35868.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 4
  • photo35869.jpg
    photo35869.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 4
  • photo35870.jpg
    photo35870.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 4
Using the unofficial gathering as the impetus for a boys weekend, gregm, the dude, and myself played The Shattuck Golf Club, in Jaffrey, NH the day after playing the fox. I picked that course because i had heard it is a must play course in the area we where at. It is surely a must play course that i will be returning to (all be it not too soon as it is 2 hours from home). Any body that has played their has had the same reply when you ask about the track.... bring plenty of balls. After playing there I concur. I only dropped 3 balls but the potential for serious damage is real. It is a tough, target shot, golf course. We played the blues, 6100 yards, 71/141 rating. The course is at the base of mt monadnock and built into the natural beauty of the woodland. Never have a played a course designed like it. The trees, wetlands, and terrain totally dictate the hole layout. Forced carries, narrow landing areas, and small greens are challenges here. There was no need for me to hit driver on this track and i am sure that contributed to my scoring, lol. The greens are immaculate, the best i have played in memory. The course is only manicured where necessary, meaning most of the fairway, if there is one, the tee box, and the green. My pics don't do the course justice. Try it out for yourself for a very memorable round. 20190818_122654.jpg20190818_104915.jpg20190818_090755.jpg20190818_120152.jpg20190818_122052.jpg20190818_120200.jpg

Last edited:
Art M;n8880126 said:
Using the unofficial gathering as the impetus for a boys weekend, gregm, the dude, and myself played The Shattuck Golf Club, in Jaffrey, NH the day after playing the fox. I picked that course because i had heard it is a must play course in the area we where at. It is surely a must play course that i will be returning to (all be it not too soon as it is 2 hours from home). Any body that has played their has had the same reply when you ask about the track.... bring plenty of balls. After playing their I concur. I only dropped 3 balls but the potential for serious damage is real. It is a tough, target shot, golf course. We played the blues, 6100 yards, 71/141 rating. The course is at the base of mt monadnock and built into the natural beauty of the woodland. Never have a played a course designed like it. The trees, wetlands, and terrain totally dictate the hole layout. Forced carries, narrow landing areas, and small greens are challenges here. There was no need for me to hit driver on this track and i am sure that contributed to my scoring, lol. The greens are immaculate, the best i have played in memory. The course is only manicured where necessary, meaning most of the fairway, if there is one, the tee box, and the green. My pics don't do the course justice. Try it out for yourself for a very memorable round.

One of my absolute favorite courses. Glad you had fun, and great to hear the course is in good shape. A few years back it was rough.

mpeterson;n8880439 said:
One of my absolute favorite courses. Glad you had fun, and great to hear the course is in good shape. A few years back it was rough.

really? rough in what way? so hard to believe that from what i experienced yesterday. the cart paths were rough, ie all dirt, rock, and root. i can totally accept that as no big deal. i repeat myself here but the greens are immaculate! maybe because so few people hit them, lol. it was not busy like i would think it "should" be, Then again neither was Crumpin. I was surprised by how many golfers were walking. not that the course itself presents itself as a difficult walk but a good number of holes have distance from green to the next tee box. I find it hard to believe pace of play would not suffer mixing walkers and riders

Finally had a weekend off from work and made the almost 2 hour drive to play The Shattuck with ArtM, TheDude, and our friend John. Definitely one of those courses you need to play more than once just so you know what you’re aiming for. Lots of great views! I thought the course was in very good shape. Fairways and greens were great but some of the tee boxes were a bit beat up. A couple of blow up holes killed my round but still managed to keep it under 100. Many laughs and many golf balls! Always a great time golfing with those guys. Hope to do it again soon!

9a6bc203d9eaa5075b59f91006b005de.jpg

3a594e9bbaa34f3a7f95d1d3d865cbc2.jpg

d3f71d3eb592a5f035fc30788730c351.jpg

34c979866ca3d3ac75bb9c045069f4ae.jpg

51bb9d771b858e2873436fe8fafb4161.jpg

bc99666b1e8b08720ac1a029f87c39c6.jpg

c4a4d3afe51aaba5a693b8d90eab1c66.jpg

f00197f2248e44d1417abf59cafb6be5.jpg

463f4fb2460a6ba346a01bb5943bf0ee.jpg

29a4cfc67dba7c9bd9121ed5de834ea6.jpg

Art M;n8880573 said:
really? rough in what way? so hard to believe that from what i experienced yesterday. the cart paths were rough, ie all dirt, rock, and root. i can totally accept that as no big deal. i repeat myself here but the greens are immaculate! maybe because so few people hit them, lol. it was not busy like i would think it "should" be, Then again neither was Crumpin. I was surprised by how many golfers were walking. not that the course itself presents itself as a difficult walk but a good number of holes have distance from green to the next tee box. I find it hard to believe pace of play would not suffer mixing walkers and riders

Fairways were really bad, and the greens were only so-so - I think it was the couple of bone dry years we had. I think the front is reasonably walkable, but I'd NEVER want to walk that back 9. Ton of distance between holes and it's just up and down.

Booked a tee time to take my FIL to Wayland CC on Saturday. Anything I should know? I read elsewhere that it's a flat and easy-ish course.

Art M;n8880126 said:
Using the unofficial gathering as the impetus for a boys weekend, gregm, the dude, and myself played The Shattuck Golf Club, in Jaffrey, NH the day after playing the fox. I picked that course because i had heard it is a must play course in the area we where at. It is surely a must play course that i will be returning to (all be it not too soon as it is 2 hours from home). Any body that has played their has had the same reply when you ask about the track.... bring plenty of balls. After playing their I concur. I only dropped 3 balls but the potential for serious damage is real. It is a tough, target shot, golf course. We played the blues, 6100 yards, 71/141 rating. The course is at the base of mt monadnock and built into the natural beauty of the woodland. Never have a played a course designed like it. The trees, wetlands, and terrain totally dictate the hole layout. Forced carries, narrow landing areas, and small greens are challenges here. There was no need for me to hit driver on this track and i am sure that contributed to my scoring, lol. The greens are immaculate, the best i have played in memory. The course is only manicured where necessary, meaning most of the fairway, if there is one, the tee box, and the green. My pics don't do the course justice. Try it out for yourself for a very memorable round.

I lived in CT for a long time. Use to run up and play the Fox and Shattuck often. Was there when Shattuck first opened and played every year since for a while. Course changed hands and conditions got sketchy. Then I made it back last year and it was in OK shape. Glad to hear it's in good shape now. Fox is always in good shape and is a great test too. Contrary to standard analysis my best round on Shattuck was the first time I played it...77 with two doubles on par 5's I tried stupid 2nd shots on....Ha My best Shattuck story was I took a group of newer golfers up there once...We played 18 in AM and then we played the tips in PM as a scramble...I had told the guys to bring a lot of balls. They brought 8 dozen brand new balls with corp logos...Their biz balls...We lost em all and lost another couple dozen of balls I found and had them use. We refered to that round as the 100 ball day...I also use to do Shattuck am, Fox pm with the restaurant up top of hill...Called that our top 10 day....Good stuff. Great pics. Thanks sharing.

GolfTravelDude;n8883938 said:
I lived in CT for a long time. Use to run up and play the Fox and Shattuck often. Was there when Shattuck first opened and played every year since for a while. Course changed hands and conditions got sketchy. Then I made it back last year and it was in OK shape. Glad to hear it's in good shape now. Fox is always in good shape and is a great test too. Contrary to standard analysis my best round on Shattuck was the first time I played it...77 with two doubles on par 5's I tried stupid 2nd shots on....Ha My best Shattuck story was I took a group of newer golfers up there once...We played 18 in AM and then we played the tips in PM as a scramble...I had told the guys to bring a lot of balls. They brought 8 dozen brand new balls with corp logos...Their biz balls...We lost em all and lost another couple dozen of balls I found and had them use. We refered to that round as the 100 ball day...I also use to do Shattuck am, Fox pm with the restaurant up top of hill...Called that our top 10 day....Good stuff. Great pics. Thanks sharing.

I've always wanted to do the scramble from the tips thing there. Sounds like it would be a fun, absurd challenge.

Got 18 in after work at the local Donald Ross 9-hole track. Nothin fancy, just golf ⛳️ Par 36 2830yds 68.4/116

Attachments

• photo36254.jpg
    photo36254.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • photo36255.jpg
    photo36255.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
mpeterson;n8884896 said:
I've always wanted to do the scramble from the tips thing there. Sounds like it would be a fun, absurd challenge.

He he... we're playing the tips next time :angel:

Back