FIRE RIDGE GOLF COURSE- Millersburg, OHIO

Reaction score
Handicap
http://www.fireridgegolfcourse.com/course
I was able to take a short visit to Ohio last week and was lucky enough to get a chance to play golf a round of golf with my brother on a golf course that I had never seen in person but looked at several times on line. When you view the web site you are given the chance to see many pictures of the different holes and read the " CHEAT SHEET" advising you of how best to play each hole. The advise given on the web site was actually on a printed card available to pick up in the club house as you pay the low rate of $15.00 to play a very colorful morning. The peak colors of fall greeted us as did the friendly staff and while there was still a misty rain falling we set off to play what I already suspected would be a challenging round of elevation changes and after being informed that the greens were aerated the prior week confirmed it.
I have pictures that I would love to post to show the beautiful colors and if I can figure it out I will do so soon.
The fairways were in good shape although very damp from a night of rainfall but what I immediately noticed was that the only yardage markers you had were a small painted line on the cart path which could not be seen very well in many places. We realized quickly that playing would tricky with a ball below your feet or above depending on which fairway you playing. Greens were still full of spikes and night crawlers with lots of rainwater on the front 9 as the crew was working on the back 9 first. We were the first players out so pace of play wasn't a problem at any point.
How did we shoot? I shot 95 , not good but you must understand I drove a 210 yard uphill par 3 on the second hole and had to 4 putt because of the water build up and worms. We proceed to play on what I consider to be a very nice course on the hills of northeast OHIO and it got better and then we got another shower of rain. I did get to use my totally new Big Bertha 3&5 fairway woods and glad to say they proved to very needed on this course as you had to think and plan for each hole was a education under these conditions. The back nine greens had been blown off but again moisture was very present so putting was a challenge on every hole.
My over all impression of FIRE RIDGE, it is a very nice course and has a layout that will have you use your best skills to score from every lie you can possibly think of. The club house was just a simple operation with snacks and drinks, a sitting area with tables appeared to be clean and the parking lot was okay. The carts are older, no GPS, it would be easy to turn one over on the cart paths or fairways with the many slopes and hills. If the day had been dry and greens mowed with no sign of aeration I think I could have broke into a low 80 easily. The "CHEAT SHEET" could use a few updates as a couple of times it mentioned bunkers that are no longer there and pond to the right that was actually on the left and the idea of a "CHEAT SHEET" for a first time golfer on this course is advisable and not a bad idea on any course IMO. I had hope of getting a return trip on a dry day but that didn't take place. The course is located near the AMISH tourist attractions and shopping for the family as well as other golf courses and winery, cheese makers, wood shops, flea markets, hay rides and fine food amish style style. You can make a family trip that provides plenty of golf opportunities in this area. Check it out and maybe talk a wife or friend into a weekend visit.

Just a few shots of the course provide an idea of how it lays out.

Last edited:
http://www.fireridgegolfcourse.com/course
I was able to take a short visit to Ohio last week and was lucky enough to get a chance to play golf a round of golf with my brother on a golf course that I had never seen in person but looked at several times on line. When you view the web site you are given the chance to see many pictures of the different holes and read the " CHEAT SHEET" advising you of how best to play each hole. The advise given on the web site was actually on a printed card available to pick up in the club house as you pay the low rate of $15.00 to play a very colorful morning. The peak colors of fall greeted us as did the friendly staff and while there was still a misty rain falling we set off to play what I already suspected would be a challenging round of elevation changes and after being informed that the greens were aerated the prior week confirmed it.
I have pictures that I would love to post to show the beautiful colors and if I can figure it out I will do so soon.
The fairways were in good shape although very damp from a night of rainfall but what I immediately noticed was that the only yardage markers you had were a small painted line on the cart path which could not be seen very well in many places. We realized quickly that playing would tricky with a ball below your feet or above depending on which fairway you playing. Greens were still full of spikes and night crawlers with lots of rainwater on the front 9 as the crew was working on the back 9 first. We were the first players out so pace of play wasn't a problem at any point.
How did we shoot? I shot 95 , not good but you must understand I drove a 210 yard uphill par 3 on the second hole and had to 4 putt because of the water build up and worms. We proceed to play on what I consider to be a very nice course on the hills of northeast OHIO and it got better and then we got another shower of rain. I did get to use my totally new Big Bertha 3&5 fairway woods and glad to say they proved to very needed on this course as you had to think and plan for each hole was a education under these conditions. The back nine greens had been blown off but again moisture was very present so putting was a challenge on every hole.
My over all impression of FIRE RIDGE, it is a very nice course and has a layout that will have you use your best skills to score from every lie you can possibly think of. The club house was just a simple operation with snacks and drinks, a sitting area with tables appeared to be clean and the parking lot was okay. The carts are older, no GPS, it would be easy to turn one over on the cart paths or fairways with the many slopes and hills. If the day had been dry and greens mowed with no sign of aeration I think I could have broke into a low 80 easily. The "CHEAT SHEET" could use a few updates as a couple of times it mentioned bunkers that are no longer there and pond to the right that was actually on the left and the idea of a "CHEAT SHEET" for a first time golfer on this course is advisable and not a bad idea on any course IMO. I had hope of getting a return trip on a dry day but that didn't take place. The course is located near the AMISH tourist attractions and shopping for the family as well as other golf courses and winery, cheese makers, wood shops, flea markets, hay rides and fine food amish style style. You can make a family trip that provides plenty of golf opportunities in this area. Check it out and maybe talk a wife or friend into a weekend visit.
Thanks for sharing!

If you don't mind a suggestion - consider adding some photos and grades to get this in line with the review format. You might win the monthly prize for review of the month.

I guess that I need to post them to photobucket first and then the link on here?

This was looking at green #1

Looking at Green #10

You can see how much water was still on the greens but look at the color.

Hole #5 with the #2 green in the back

Looking at #8 fairway to the green a Par 4

Looking from below Green of #8 towards #9 which is at the top of hill beside club house , I know most of you could really enjoy a round on this course.

Last edited:
Ok guys I have added some pictures and I hope they give you a good idea of what this course holds if you get the chance to play there.

Sweet looking course and the scenery is beautiful. I bet there is not a flat spot on the course other than tee-boxes..lol .Thanks For sharing !

You are so correct, tee box and greens was the only flat spots you could find, I would imagine that on a nice hot freshly mowed summer day the ball could roll completely off the fairways.

Playing this track Monday. Good review.Looking forward to playing here.

Back