I heard on Utah Golf Radio (podcast version) that four of the St. George courses closed due to Covid-19. I jumped on Sand Hollow's website to see if they were one of the four but couldn't find any info on it. Anyone know what four closed?

I heard on Utah Golf Radio (podcast version) that four of the St. George courses closed due to Covid-19. I jumped on Sand Hollow's website to see if they were one of the four but couldn't find any info on it. Anyone know what four closed?

Sun Brook, Southgate, Dixie Red Hills and St. George Golf Club closed immediately after the Governor issued his directive. Sand Hollow is open. I have been there for the last 3 days.

Sun Brook, Southgate, Dixie Red Hills and St. George Golf Club closed immediately after the Governor issued his directive. Sand Hollow is open. I have been there for the last 3 days.
Those are all SG munis, right? Sand Hollow is a state park. Interesting that the state course didn't shut down, but the city courses did.

We are lucky that most of the courses in LV have remained open. Even a few of the ones that initially closed re-opened with COVID-19 measures in place.

Those are all SG munis, right? Sand Hollow is a state park. Interesting that the state course didn't shut down, but the city courses did.

We are lucky that most of the courses in LV have remained open. Even a few of the ones that initially closed re-opened with COVID-19 measures in place.

Yes, the St. George munies closed almost immediately following the Governor's press conference, which is interesting, because some of the city-owned courses up north have not closed. The Governor stated that state parks would remain open, but only to the citizens living in the county where the state park is located. I was within 30 minutes of arriving at Sand Hollow when the Governor issued his directive late Friday afternoon. I thought I would have to turn back and drive home, but Sand Hollow insisted it would remain open and welcomed me. I think I was the only person in the building where I stayed. The course was sparsely used while I was there. I actually played 18 holes in just under 2 and a half hours.

Yes, the St. George munies closed almost immediately following the Governor's press conference, which is interesting, because some of the city-owned courses up north have not closed. The Governor stated that state parks would remain open, but only to the citizens living in the county where the state park is located. I was within 30 minutes of arriving at Sand Hollow when the Governor issued his directive late Friday afternoon. I thought I would have to turn back and drive home, but Sand Hollow insisted it would remain open and welcomed me. I think I was the only person in the building where I stayed. The course was sparsely used while I was there. I actually played 18 holes in just under 2 and a half hours.
Sounds like heaven.

I remembered you saying you were going down so when I heard that St. George courses were closed you were the first person I thought of! I'm glad your trip wasn't spoiled!

City courses open tomorrow. Anybody up for Glendale Saturday ?

I could maybe go in the afternoon. I think it is pay online only, so somebody would have to get a tee time and be reimbursed by others in the group.

If I am the only one there, I will just toss a ball out and hit my chip and then putt it out. I had read about this style in Harvey Penick's book and it seems like a great way to get used to having to deal with a bad chip.
A friend of mine set up a tee time Friday morning at Glendale, but just the two of us. I'm not sure why it's his favorite course... I mean, it's decent, and wide open. Maybe that's why. lol

A friend of mine set up a tee time Friday morning at Glendale, but just the two of us. I'm not sure why it's his favorite course... I mean, it's decent, and wide open. Maybe that's why. lol

Glendale makes you feel better than you are early in the season. :):oops::sneaky:

Glendale makes you feel better than you are early in the season. :):oops::sneaky:
Truth! He told me he doesn't enjoy playing Valley View... likely because it's a pretty difficult stretch.

Truth! He told me he doesn't enjoy playing Valley View... likely because it's a pretty difficult stretch.
I've never played Glendale but the idea of it being very open is appealing to me off the teebox. Valley View definitely is a test but man what a great course.

I've never played Glendale but the idea of it being very open is appealing to me off the teebox. Valley View definitely is a test but man what a great course.
In reference to "wide open" courses. Glendale is great. Also, Rose park has some adjacent fairways, so if you're looking to spray the ball, that one works well. I don't know of many places off the top of my head that compare with Nibley Park. Though, it is only 9 holes. Walking that course is a joy, and they tend to keep the fairways and greens in pretty good condition.

I find it rather ironic that both Salt Lake and Davis County have issued "Stay At Home" orders, and yet Salt Lake City is opening their courses tomorrow, and it appears that Davis will remain open, as well. Perhaps people like myself complaining about the fact that when I'm on the links it's the only time I actually get out of my house to see that big, bright ball of fire in the sky.

In reference to "wide open" courses. Glendale is great. Also, Rose park has some adjacent fairways, so if you're looking to spray the ball, that one works well. I don't know of many places off the top of my head that compare with Nibley Park. Though, it is only 9 holes. Walking that course is a joy, and they tend to keep the fairways and greens in pretty good condition.

I find it rather ironic that both Salt Lake and Davis County have issued "Stay At Home" orders, and yet Salt Lake City is opening their courses tomorrow, and it appears that Davis will remain open, as well. Perhaps people like myself complaining about the fact that when I'm on the links it's the only time I actually get out of my house to see that big, bright ball of fire in the sky.

I am so grateful the courses are staying open, despite the irony. However, if you stay out of the pro shop, don’t touch the flagsticks and there are no rakes in the bunkers, I don’t see how you could transmit the virus. It seems perfectly safe. Where I live by myself and my county (Davis) has a stay at home order in place, I truly need something not to go crazy right now.

are all those owned by the City? That could be why they are closed.

I am so grateful the courses are staying open, despite the irony. However, if you stay out of the pro shop, don’t touch the flagsticks and there are no rakes in the bunkers, I don’t see how you could transmit the virus. It seems perfectly safe. Where I live by myself and my county (Davis) has a stay at home order in place, I truly need something not to go crazy right now.

Exactly. The St. George City-owned courses closed.
A group of friends and I were supposed to play a tournament in St. George in the end of this month. We received notice that the tournament has been canceled, likely in light of the course closures.

There's a chance a small group will still go down there to play, but at this point that's entirely up in the air.

A group of friends and I were supposed to play a tournament in St. George in the end of this month. We received notice that the tournament has been canceled, likely in light of the course closures.

There's a chance a small group will still go down there to play, but at this point that's entirely up in the air.

I think all of the tournaments over the next 30 to 60 days have been cancelled, regardless of course closure.

I think all of the tournaments over the next 30 to 60 days have been cancelled, regardless of course closure.
Correct. UGA, Utah Golf Association said all tournaments in the month of April are canceled. Perhaps longer, but for now, all April ones for sure.

Correct. UGA, Utah Golf Association said all tournaments in the month of April are canceled. Perhaps longer, but for now, all April ones for sure.
This tournament wasn't UGA sanctioned, just a group of guys getting together for Stableford rounds over two days. But, still canceled.

I do think that the golf courses have done a great job at making sure they are in "compliance" by closing the pro shops, requiring that everything be paid beforehand, and putting in the regulations that you don't rake or touch the flagstick, is the reasoning behind their ability to stay open. Good on the courses by giving people something to do. I unfortunately have my wife and 20 month old son quarantined at home while I drive in to work during the week so I feel bad leaving her on the weekend with him as well. Add on top of all that a dog who is looking to have only two or three weeks left in him and my wife having to clean up after him, golf just isn't an option for me right now.

I do think that the golf courses have done a great job at making sure they are in "compliance" by closing the pro shops, requiring that everything be paid beforehand, and putting in the regulations that you don't rake or touch the flagstick, is the reasoning behind their ability to stay open. Good on the courses by giving people something to do. I unfortunately have my wife and 20 month old son quarantined at home while I drive in to work during the week so I feel bad leaving her on the weekend with him as well. Add on top of all that a dog who is looking to have only two or three weeks left in him and my wife having to clean up after him, golf just isn't an option for me right now.

It ‘s good that you have your priorities set correctly. Golf will always be there.

This tournament wasn't UGA sanctioned, just a group of guys getting together for Stableford rounds over two days. But, still canceled.
That sucks. Sorry it was canceled. Wish the small stuff would keep happening, just with some good social distancing rules.

Well, golf shall continue, I hope. It was just nice to look forward to some time with just the boys, warm weather, and lots of golf. But, there will be other opportunities. At least everything hasn't been shut down.

Back