Tampa area private course recomendation

badolds

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 est.
I will be in the Tampa area at the end of September. I have four private country clubs available with my ClubCorp Play Away membership but will only have time for two rounds. Which two of these would you play?

1 Countryside Country Club Clearwater
2 East Lake Woodlands Country Club Oldsmar
3 Hunter’s Green Country Club Tampa
4 Tampa Palms Golf & Country Club Tampa

Part of it will depend on where you are visiting. Countryside and East Lake are in north Pinellas and the other two are very much in Tampa. Having played all 4, Countryside has the best greens. Im not a fan of Hunter's Green at all personally. All of them are definitely old school country club designs in my opinion.

FWIW, the best part of Club Corp in this area is the Centre Club in Tampa, which I assume you will be going to for your Play Away meal. The food is fantastic.
You cant go wrong with any of the courses, so in my opinion base it on location and what else you are doing in town.

Rain dependent for 3 out of 4 of them. They get a bit soggy at times. Depending where you’re staying in Tampa answers most of your question, Countryside and East Lake woodlands are about 6-7min from each other. Hunters Green and Tampa Palms are also about 6-7min from each other.

I’d probably go with Countryside and East Lake Woodlands unless you’re staying close enough where to the other two where it doesn’t make sense to do anything but go do the other two.

We are closer to Tampa but were already considering a day trip over to Clearwater. I will probably play Countryside one day and Tampa Palms the other.

You can bet we will be dining at the Centre Club one evening. When I joined the Play Away program the food was an afterthought to the golf courses. After two meals at two different clubs the food benefits have become the star of the show.

badolds;n8882673 said:
We are closer to Tampa but were already considering a day trip over to Clearwater. I will probably play Countryside one day and Tampa Palms the other.

You can bet we will be dining at the Centre Club one evening. When I joined the Play Away program the food was an afterthought to the golf courses. After two meals at two different clubs the food benefits have become the star of the show.

Depending on where you are staying, just plan your drive to the Centre Club accordingly. The traffic during rush hour is awful!

badolds;n8882673 said:

Centre club might be more enjoyable than Tampa Palms. It’s a very snug golf course with not a lot of room to miss anywhere. Might say just play eastlake and enjoy the powerlines on the range

Back