Lets Talk Grass....

PapaJohick

#ShortKnockerBombs
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What is your favorite putting surface? fairway grass? rough?

What have you played that you do not like and why?

For me:

Greens: Paspalum (closely followed by bent)
Fairway: Paspalum (although I would love to play zoysia as I have heard it gives you some nice lies with the ball sitting up more often than not?)
Rough: No favorite i guess? almost every one here has a bermuda with a rye overseed I believe

Least favorite: not a huge fan of certain bermudas for putting. Cannot remember which branch of it, but very grainy.
I do not like whatever grass is used in the northeast for rough haha. Did that earlier this year and it sucked.... very different for me.

Honestly, I’ve not played enough surfaces to really be able to know. For putting, I just want a smooth surface. Fast, slow or in between, doesn’t matter, just be smooth.

Not picky on the putting surface as long as it rolls true. Fairways I really like zoysia. Rough is just rough, but I hate crabgrass.

Putting - bent for sure.
Fairway and tee boxes - bent and bent
Rough - well maintained fescue

We just don't have much bermuda around us, so I don't play it that often.

Bent /end thread haha

jdtox;n8882934 said:
Bent /end thread haha

Literally plus +1000000 for this lol. Of course Im not good enough to know the difference for my game

Bent for greens. Zoysia for fairways and I actually like Bermuda for rough since that is what I grew up playing on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TifEagle Bermuda is my favorite grass for greens. I can just read a putt really well on it for some reason.
We have a course close by that has zoysia grass on the fairways. Beautiful grass!!

Any of the modern ultradwarf Bermuda grasses make ideal greens, if they are rigorously maintained to remove organic matter and avoid compaction.

But my favorite turf anywhere on the planet, tee to fairway to green, is at Delamere Forest Golf Club in Northwich, England. The particular native mixture of poa, bents and other fine-bladed grass is simply amazing to play from. Some links courses come close (Royal Birkdale had awesome fairways the one time I visited) but I've been to Delamere several times and it's always incredible.

I'll take bent for greens.
Zoysia fairways all day long. Especially when cut super short. Like hitting off a sponge and always sits perfectly. Would take Bent fariways over bermuda also. Don't like bermuda fairways as much.
Fescue rough is good if it's taken care of right.
Toss up between bent and zoysia teebox. Zoysia for par 3s, bent for others. Have the propensity to slip when hitting the big stick on zoysia tees.

kind of a copout, but i know it when i see it. i don't know enough about grass to say which i like. but there are times when i play on a surface and think, "yeah, this is my favorite!" i just can't tell you what that is haha

Greens, I'd have to say bent grass. Its just a comfort thing since it's what we have here. That said, I had no issues putting on bermuda.

Bent grass for fairways. I find they offer more rollout than zoyzia, although zoyzia basically puts your ball on a tee everytime. I also think bent grass fairways tend to have better turf interaction.

Let me tell you what I don't like. Zoyzia roughs. That stuff is just silly. Nothing like beating your ball out 50 yards and thinking you did good just to get it that far.

~Rock

Bent for Fairways & Greens but I am mostly a product of my northern environment. Can say I don't care for the Bluegrass rough you see up this direction a lot of the time. If the course lets it grow too long balls disappear in the tangles and it slows down play. Also difficult to hit out of when it has some length.

Have not been a fan of bermuda the times I have played on it but will say the couple of time a I played Zoysia fairways was asweome.

See now I need to play a course with zoysia....

I can understand some not being really into knowing. The only reason I ask and thought about it was I have started to really get into course architecture as well as agronomy for the different areas of the US. pretty interesting stuff (to me haha) especially when relating to types of grass that some designers would mention is a must have for their courses.

For putting I prefer bentgrass, fairways definitely like bermuda although I never play it.

As for things to dislike, you haven't lived until you've been frustrated by the hell that is Kikuya grass. That stuff is the worst and I play it all too frequently.

Bent greens, tightly mowed zoysia fairways, fescue rough. No grass preference for tee boxes so long as they are smooth mowed and level.

Bent on the greens, (I believe ours are 007 bent) and Bermuda everywhere else.

jdtox;n8882934 said:
Bent /end thread haha

No! Bermuda fairways. Otherwise we agree.

Back