Big Run Golf Course, Lemont, Illinois

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
I was playing at a local course out in Oswego, Illinois a week and a half ago and was talking to the starter and he told me that at the end of the golfing season here in Illinois that Big Run Golf Course would be closing forever. I just was wondering if any other golfers here in the area had heard this? If it is true, I'll be sad. Big Run was always a great course to play in my humble opinion. Also, has anyone heard what the reason would be for their closing.

Heard the same someplace but not sure where. It may have just been thru a friend. It’s great layout and screams for someone to buy and up the game a bit. If they’re closing they must have let the place go or something. Always was about a 50-70 dollar course. Wonder if they made it more of a 25 dollar course and lost the conditioning. Idk. Sad though for sure. Hills galore and a nice lay out overall. Not helmet golf. Big trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B81Smith;n8883785 said:
Heard the same someplace but not sure where. It may have just been thru a friend. It’s great layout and screams for someone to buy and up the game a bit. If they’re closing they must have let the place go or something. Always was about a 50-70 dollar course. Wonder if they made it more of a 25 dollar course and lost the conditioning. Idk. Sad though for sure. Hills galore and a nice lay out overall. Not helmet golf. Big trees.

Have to agree, the difference in each hole made it very challenging, which in my opinion just made the course more fun to play.

Oh man, that is sad news, if true. Big Run is one of my favorite tracks in the greater chicago area. Really a fun test of golf.

Last time I played during April a few years back, and the winds were blowing at about 40mph! it was wild!

pmm21;n8883863 said:
Oh man, that is sad news, if true. Big Run is one of my favorite tracks in the greater chicago area. Really a fun test of golf.

Last time I played during April a few years back, and the winds were blowing at about 40mph! it was wild!

I played there back in early June and the course had really taken a beating from all the rain we had in the spring. The 18th fairway look like a cow pasture. You teed off right before the creak and it was all up hill from there.

Lots of good memories playing there many times 30ish years ago. The website says its not sold or closed. https://www.bigrungolf.com/

I’ve heard the same. Live in Lemont. Big Run is sold.

Also heard two courses at Cog Hill are for sale. Another 30 throughout the state going to bankruptcy.

Taxes are a hell of a thing.

Very high taxes on a business that is only profitable 7 months a year.
I’ve heard the same. Live in Lemont. Big Run is sold.

Also heard two courses at Cog Hill are for sale. Another 30 throughout the state going to bankruptcy.

Taxes are a hell of a thing.

Definitely. Stupid high taxes in that state on business, for an industry that is only profitable 7 months a year.
But they keep doing the same thing. Maybe they can lease the courses to the Germans or Canadians like they did the toll roads and parking meters. :oops:

Also just confirmed that courses 2 (Ravines) and 4 (Dubsdread) at Cog Hill -- the locations of the 2017 THP Championship -- are the two for sale.

I live out in AZ now but originally from Oswego. Haven’t heard much about it. I was just out there 2 weeks ago for my bachelor party and we played Fox Bend. Would stink if Big Run closes.

I heard that as well. Can't remember where or from who. Unfortunately never got the opportunity to play that course but know a lot of people who have and had nothing but good things to say about it. Hopefully some investment company will pick it up and get it back running in a few years.

Also just confirmed that courses 2 (Ravines) and 4 (Dubsdread) at Cog Hill -- the locations of the 2017 THP Championship -- are the two for sale.
Get outta here!?! This is for real?

Not even sure how that would work with there being 4 courses on the property.

AKA, the two good courses on property. Maybe the new owner will be able to utilize the name, and the wonderful course design to bring it back to it's former glory. Would love to see the PGA get back to this track, was always a challenge and was awesome to see them play a public course in the area.

(Because I don't know how to embed a tweet)

Seemed to work just fine. There is also a guide at the top left of the screen that says We've Launched New Forums, Read More Here. With instructions on how to do everything.

You know I can't read and now I'm triggered.

Sad to hear about Cog Hill. I've also heard rumors that a course not to far from where I live is possibly closing also. That being Klein Creek. They tried to get a local park district to to take over the course, but the park district said no.

Sad to hear about Cog Hill. I've also heard rumors that a course not to far from where I live is possibly closing also. That being Klein Creek. They tried to get a local park district to to take over the course, but the park district said no.

That stinks, too. Klein Creek is a great little course. Have had many memorable rounds there.

Here's an article from back in June that talks about a few courses in the Chicagoland area that are struggling or possibly closing.

Really? Last I knew they were part of 3 other courses (private) under the same management team. If true that would suck, always loved that course and got married there so a little more special to me.

Really? Last I knew they were part of 3 other courses (private) under the same management team. If true that would suck, always loved that course and got married there so a little more special to me.

Well, I did say possibly. It was just a rumor I've heard. But I have heard it from more than one source.

Well, I did say possibly. It was just a rumor I've heard. But I have heard it from more than one source.

Update on Klein, they are doing what seems to be massive renovations inside and out!

Update on Klein, they are doing what seems to be massive renovations inside and out!

I came across this comment on Facebook recently that is saying that Big Run was not sold.

Contrary to a recent article in local newspaper,Big Run IS and WILL be operating as NORMAL. Please disregard ALL rumors. Big Run is only attempting to gain annexation in Lockport township. Also we would like to let everyone know we have Saturday and Sunday permanent tee time slots available. Please call Bill Roper at pro shop at 815 838 1057 for more info on tee times. Thanks to All our patrons from all of us here at Big Run, we plan on having another great golf season this year.

Back