Arsenic Found at Melreese Country Club International Links

BigDill

2023 Morgan Cup - Team Hackers - Cobra Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Those of you outside of Miami may be familiar with the Melreese Country Club Miami International Links course. Its a really well maintained and very busy public course that borders Miami International Airport. When you fly into Miami, its the course you see as you land. I have played there about 5 times in the last couple months. It is also the site that has been well discussed and preliminary planned to become the home of the new and terribly named Miami MLS team, Inter Miami. But for the time being, it is still an operational golf course with a fantastic First Tee program.

Well, as of yesterday, and as part of the planning and site analysis for the soccer (née futbol) stadium, the team released the soil sample results and found elevated levels of arsenic in the grounds of the course. As a result, the course that I played on just last week, on the same arsenic infested ground, is temporarily closed. Here is a local news article giving the more specific details:

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2019/08/20/miami-closes-melreese-golf-course-contamination/

What say you THPers, would you go back to this course now that this condition is known? On one hand, it seems like most of the issues begin no higher than 6 inches below the turf. On the other hand, why risk it? I am legitimately torn on what to do.

Just don’t eat the dirt and you will be fine.

It's fine. Arsenic is a naturally occurring substance in soils. Carolina Beach was having this same issue. They were dredging out the overflow pond to make it deeper, and the soil that was removed had higher than normal levels of arsenic.

Is it possible to take a 6” deep divot?

If anyone can do it, it’s me.

I have played the course 3 times since I started this thread, so I guess it’s not a big issue for me or anyone else, because the course is always busy.

The dose makes the poison. I would not be worried. If it were that much of a health risk, they would shut down the course.

Back