Bryson DeChambeau Thread

MonroeBob1955;n8873755 said:
Based on statements by Slugger White,

“I hate slow play as much as the next guy, but I can’t agree with the idea of hitting players with penalty strokes. Maybe it’s because I was a player once, but I envision these horrible trickle-down effects. Say there’s a player who barely squeezes into the top 125 of the final FedEx Cup points standings because he made a couple of thousand dollars more at a tournament than the player right behind him on the list. Imagine if he’d been hit with a one-stroke penalty at a key moment because he was two seconds over his time. Say the penalty cost him $5,000. Suddenly he’s so far down the FedEx Cup point list he doesn’t have a place to play the following year, which in turn might mean his kid can’t go to college, or he can’t put a down payment on that decent house. Or worse. Basically it means you’ve drastically affected the guy’s life with the click of a stopwatch. I’m all for looking at fine structures, maybe increasing them. But determining his fate with a stopwatch to me is a little harsh.”

and comments this morning by the PGA Tour echoed on the Golf Channel, they don’t see slow play as an issue.

As for Bryson’s comments, you’re not helping yourself or your image. Take responsibility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Then why even have it written in the rules if even the officials refuse to enforce it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golf Ghost;n8873764 said:
Then why even have it written in the rules if even the officials refuse to enforce it.

Because the rules are convoluted at best. Put on clock, taken off, put on. It's nonsense.
I just find it interesting that we hear about a 90 second shot being too long (which it is), but one of the most celebrated shots in history took longer. Check out start to finish, Tiger Woods chipping in back in 05 Masters.

MonroeBob1955;n8873755 said:
Based on statements by Slugger White,

�I hate slow play as much as the next guy, but I can�t agree with the idea of hitting players with penalty strokes. Maybe it�s because I was a player once, but I envision these horrible trickle-down effects. Say there�s a player who barely squeezes into the top 125 of the final FedEx Cup points standings because he made a couple of thousand dollars more at a tournament than the player right behind him on the list. Imagine if he�d been hit with a one-stroke penalty at a key moment because he was two seconds over his time. Say the penalty cost him $5,000. Suddenly he�s so far down the FedEx Cup point list he doesn�t have a place to play the following year, which in turn might mean his kid can�t go to college, or he can�t put a down payment on that decent house. Or worse. Basically it means you�ve drastically affected the guy�s life with the click of a stopwatch. I�m all for looking at fine structures, maybe increasing them. But determining his fate with a stopwatch to me is a little harsh.�

and comments this morning by the PGA Tour echoed on the Golf Channel, they don�t see slow play as an issue.

As for Bryson�s comments, you�re not helping yourself or your image. Take responsibility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's a pretty ridiculous and extreme example of what everything the rules could do to one player. Advocacy by hyperbole is rarely effective Slugger.

JB;n8873772 said:
Because the rules are convoluted at best. Put on clock, taken off, put on. It's nonsense.
I just find it interesting that we hear about a 90 second shot being too long (which it is), but one of the most celebrated shots in history took longer. Check out start to finish, Tiger Woods chipping in back in 05 Masters.

I just can't believe the head rules official actually came out and said that.

Reactions: JB
Alez367;n8873692 said:
Actually if you listened to his presser, he�s not a calculating individual. His quote was he hates playing golf but loves competition and competing. Back home he can play golf with buddies in 2.5 hours but get on tour and it�s death by paralysis and analysis. It�s his own mental block that causes the problem.
Bryson said he hates playing golf?

campilobaxter;n8873776 said:

Trying to find the presser excerpt right now that said it.

JB;n8873772 said:

I’d be way, way on board with having some extensions you could use when necessary. Maybe a “bank” if you play fast on certain shots to earn more back. Heck, maybe even extra time allotted on Sunday, back nine, for the last ten groups (ensures the first groups out aren’t the problem). Too many creative people (and Bryson claims to be too smart) to not do anything.

campilobaxter;n8873776 said:

Here it is

9934786f7a7a52b460038977e03995a6.jpg

Alez367;n8873811 said:
Here it is

9934786f7a7a52b460038977e03995a6.jpg

That is bizarre. I'd love to ask him some clarifying questions.

campilobaxter;n8873824 said:
That is bizarre. I'd love to ask him some clarifying questions.

Yeah it’s definitely a weird statement to make being a professional golfer.

Didn't Boo Weekley say something similar and he only plays golf so he can afford to fish and hunt or something?

"I hate playing golf, I absolutely hate it."

That's all I needed to know. Too bad, I was starting to kind of root for the guy (crazy or not).

Canadan;n8874113 said:

That's all I needed to know. Too bad, I was starting to kind of root for the guy (crazy or not).

I have to admit, I respected his skills because he alone proved they worked and won using his methods but that quote just comes off horribly.

ntanygd760;n8874101 said:
Didn't Boo Weekley say something similar and he only plays golf so he can afford to fish and hunt or something?

yeah but Boo is a loveable adorable name

Canadan;n8874113 said:

i was put off by brooks’ similar comments, but at least he didn’t say he hated golf. now i have to take bryson off the list too. i have liked and defended the kid for awhile. but this was such a bad look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seems like a real strange comment to make. I'm dying to rush to judgement here but I'd prefer to hear an explanation on it first.

ArmyGolf;n8874136 said:
Seems like a real strange comment to make. I'm dying to rush to judgement here but I'd prefer to hear an explanation on it first.

I am trying to figure out a version of that quote that doesn't mean he hates the game of golf.

I'm not a fan of Bryson's but, while awful, I think that was more of a heat-of-the-moment type of thing. A very mild tantrum amidst his irrational denials and offense for being "attacked." Yet still a very negative comment.

All Boo said is what 90% of us all want, to reach a point of financial security/independence so we can retire and spend more time with family.

If Boo were equally slow or defensive or equally negative, I could understand the comparison. But I can't recall him being anything other than fun-loving and fully engaged with fans and players alike.

Context is everything and although like I said, I don't believe that Bryson really meant it, his demeanor, defensiveness and tone certainly earns some warranted criticism, imo.

I think this Bryson DeChambeau character is a complete {expletive}... :at-wits-end:

PGA Golf is filmed live for TV networks, and his idiotic slow play causes the game to run over, which causes the TV network to run over, and it all snowballs from there.

If I was a touring pro, paired with this clown, and he was on the green, analyzing every square inch of Bermuda grass, dawdling around, delaying and delaying.... I would casually walk off the course, and go buy my caddie and myself a cold beer from the beer cart. I'd walk back to my caddy, hand him the beer, and the two of us would STILL be watching this {expletive} analyze his upcoming putt!!! :angry:

I'm glad Bryson won because I root for him (and pretty much every other unpopular or polarizing golfer not named Sergio). I honestly don't understand why his comments are so bad. If you've been around many professional athletes, they will tell you that many athletes don't love the sport they play. It's a means to an end, or they were good at it so they stuck with it, or their parents pushed them to play. People play for different reasons and that's okay.

DonJuan;n8874305 said:
I'm glad Bryson won because I root for him (and pretty much every other unpopular or polarizing golfer not named Sergio). I honestly don't understand why his comments are so bad. If you've been around many professional athletes, they will tell you that many athletes don't love the sport they play. It's a means to an end, or they were good at it so they stuck with it, or their parents pushed them to play. People play for different reasons and that's okay.

there is a difference between "I am not in love with golf" and "I absolutely hate playing golf"

Canadan;n8874322 said:
there is a difference between "I am not in love with golf" and "I absolutely hate playing golf"

Why? How many people in the world hate their jobs?

DonJuan;n8874324 said:

It's just my opinion on how and/or why I cheer for someone who plays the game.

I don't see how it's fair to compare a professional golfer hating golf to people hating their jobs.

DonJuan;n8874324 said:

raises hand...

but i don't think it's fair to equate an entertainer's attitude with the attitude of a worker bee. if one entertainer is fun and seems to love what they do, vs another who is constantly annoyed and complains about everything and says how crappy they have it, which are you more likely to support with your hard-earned dollars?

then it goes a step further when it's golf. like i said in the koepka thread, i play golf and watch golf and read about golf and talk about golf and do silly internet things about golf because i LOVE golf. when a guy tells me he doesn't really like golf, or even worse HATES golf, i can't relate to him and quite frankly don't care to. maybe that attitude is shared by many on tour, but ignorance is bliss for me.

Back