Bryson DeChambeau Thread

Canadan;n8874340 said:
It's just my opinion on how and/or why I cheer for someone who plays the game.

I don't see how it's fair to compare a professional golfer hating golf to people hating their jobs.

We all cheer for people for different reasons. Nothing wrong with that. With that said, a job is a job. Obviously some jobs pay better than others and come with different headaches. But as the saying goes, "For every beautiful woman there's a guy who's..." [You get the gist]

DonJuan;n8874363 said:
We all cheer for people for different reasons. Nothing wrong with that. With that said, a job is a job. Obviously some jobs pay better than others and come with different headaches. But as the saying goes, "For every beautiful woman there's a guy who's..." [You get the gist]

I'm good with you cheering for him for whatever reason you want, I just think it's silly for a professional athlete to admit to 'hating' playing the game he gets paid millions of dollars to play.

For as tactical and calculating as he is, that seems kind of... not calculated at all.

Canadan;n8874372 said:
I'm good with you cheering for him for whatever reason you want, I just think it's silly for a professional athlete to admit to 'hating' playing the game he gets paid millions of dollars to play.

For as tactical and calculating as he is, that seems kind of... not calculated at all.

Especially in today's digital society. I think it's a comment he wishes he hadn't made.

as i said on social, his comments were not taken out of context. He said it and meant it. I feel bad for his sponsors that spent the weekend defending him when their product was never even mentioned but they know he is their ambassador and any bad press for him reflects on them as one of their main images for marketing.

Alez367;n8874559 said:
as i said on social, his comments were not taken out of context. He said it and meant it. I feel bad for his sponsors that spent the weekend defending him when their product was never even mentioned but they know he is their ambassador and any bad press for him reflects on them as one of their main images for marketing.

i agree they weren't taken out of context. and he definitely came across immature and petulant. the only justification i can see for his attitude and reaction was that as far as we know, no one confronted him personally about this; they all took to twitter. that's a pretty sh1tty way to handle your issue. you have a problem with someone? go to them and talk about it.

McLovin;n8874576 said:
i agree they weren't taken out of context. and he definitely came across immature and petulant. the only justification i can see for his attitude and reaction was that as far as we know, no one confronted him personally about this; they all took to twitter. that's a pretty sh1tty way to handle your issue. you have a problem with someone? go to them and talk about it.

I don't know how much he truth their was to it, but someone mentioned on social media that Brooks and Bryson spoke face to face.

I don't entirely believe the source, so I'll leave it at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golf Ghost;n8874627 said:
I don't know how much he truth their was to it, but someone mentioned on social media that Brooks and Bryson spoke face to face.

I don't entirely believe the source, so I'll leave it at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw where Eamon Lynch mentioned it:

after completing his [Koepka] warmup wandered over to DeChambeau for a chat that appeared civil on the surface.

I hate the slow play, and one comment I saw just made me want to vomit in my mouth. Paraphrasing but BDC said that yeah, at times they are over the limit and he knows that... but that means you are KNOWINGLY BREAKING THE RULES! Golf is about monitoring yourself, there is no referee or umpire, the players police themselves and each other. Should each player who has been put off by BDC slow play have come up and said something to him? Maybe, but would it have gotten the same response from him as players taking to twitter/social media to call him out? I highly doubt it, but at the same time, these guys aren't TEAMMATES, they are COMPETITION. So if going to twitter and "attacking" a guy throws him off his game... is that a bad thing if you are one of the not slow players?

To me, Pace of play is very much like the PED issue in baseball in the 2000s, the horse is out of the barn now how do you get it back in there? I don't think the tour has the stones to start really enforcing slow play penalties unless their is quite a few players who are for it. Hopefully this is the tipping point that leads to change, but I won't be holding my breath.

DonJuan;n8874324 said:
Why? How many people in the world hate their jobs?
If you were hiring a home contractor, plumber, electrician, whoever, who stated that he/she hated their job, might that impact your decision?

If you were interviewing a candidate for a position or promotion and they stated that they hated their job, might that affect your opinion of the candidate before you?

It's a simple fact that such a statement will impact how one is viewed. If it doesn't for you, that's fine, you're a fan and should of course continue to be one. But to deny the inevitable fact that his statement would have understandably negative impact upon others, challenges the denial abilities of Bryson himself.

The story of Bryson throwing a fit to Brooks' caddie and telling him if he has anything to say then come to him, and Brooks doing just that is priceless.

butchammon;n8874286 said:
I think this Bryson DeChambeau character is a complete {expletive}... :at-wits-end:

PGA Golf is filmed live for TV networks, and his idiotic slow play causes the game to run over, which causes the TV network to run over, and it all snowballs from there.

If I was a touring pro, paired with this clown, and he was on the green, analyzing every square inch of Bermuda grass, dawdling around, delaying and delaying.... I would casually walk off the course, and go buy my caddie and myself a cold beer from the beer cart. I'd walk back to my caddy, hand him the beer, and the two of us would STILL be watching this {expletive} analyze his upcoming putt!!! :angry:

Happens all the time, not just with Golf. More so with NFL football each and every week.

Jman;n8874723 said:
The story of Bryson throwing a fit to Brooks' caddie and telling him if he has anything to say then come to him, and Brooks doing just that is priceless.
I thought it was funny that he didn't say to Brooks' face exactly what he was demanding Brooks to do.

Practice what you preach, brah.

WMac19;n8874784 said:
I thought it was funny that he didn't say to Brooks' face exactly what he was demanding Brooks to do.

I got $20 on Brooks.

WMac19;n8874784 said:

maybe it went down that way, maybe it didn't. considering the source, it sounds to me like it is being made into something it wasn't. if there's a guy who doesn't give a sh1t and will throw down, it's brooks. bryson is a smart guy, he's NOT stupid enough to start sh1t with brooks.

McLovin;n8874814 said:
maybe it went down that way, maybe it didn't. considering the source, it sounds to me like it is being made into something it wasn't. if there's a guy who doesn't give a sh1t and will throw down, it's brooks. bryson is a smart guy, he's NOT stupid enough to start sh1t with brooks.

Is Eamon Lynch the source with a lack of credibility?

Parrot;n8874824 said:
Is Eamon Lynch the source with a lack of credibility?

that's where i read it, yes. i'm not saying he isn't credible; i'm saying that his twittering has a certain, um, 'style' that is more indicative of what is wrong with modern "journalism" than what is right. just my $0.02, and why i personally don't much stock into it. for sure i think they talked. and for sure i think bryson wanted to talk to brooks. but "i'd like to talk face to face" vs "say it to my face" aren't far off in the words but are vastly different. also, guys like lynch aren't walking on the practice green to hear conversations perfectly.

McLovin;n8874814 said:

Bryson has shown he's an emotional one, so who's to say he wouldn't react that way?

Jman;n8874863 said:
Bryson has shown he's an emotional one, so who's to say he wouldn't react that way?

i suppose none of us can say for sure. but given that his emotions have only manifested in on-course frustrations and now an ill-advised presser meltdown, what's obviously missing is aggressively confronting a fellow competitor in a threatening manner. that's so far outside the realm of golf etiquette and decorum that the bat hearing of a gotcha "journalist" isn't enough evidence to convince me this is how it went down. admittedly, i like(d) bryson so maybe that's why i'm having a hard time accepting he would act this way to a fellow competitor. it just seems really far fetched.

McLovin;n8874854 said:
that's where i read it, yes. i'm not saying he isn't credible; i'm saying that his twittering has a certain, um, 'style' that is more indicative of what is wrong with modern "journalism" than what is right. just my $0.02, and why i personally don't much stock into it. for sure i think they talked. and for sure i think bryson wanted to talk to brooks. but "i'd like to talk face to face" vs "say it to my face" aren't far off in the words but are vastly different. also, guys like lynch aren't walking on the practice green to hear conversations perfectly.

That's cool. I didn't realize he had a reputation for that style.

A visibly irritated Bryson DeChambeau approached Ricky Elliott, caddie for Brooks Koepka, on the practice putting green and asked Elliott to tell his boss to make any comments about slow play "to my face." Koepka arrived on the range a few minutes later. "I have no problem saying anything to anyone's face," he said evenly on receiving the message, and after completing his warmup wandered over to DeChambeau for a chat that appeared civil on the surface.

Exact words from Eamon Lynch's atricle. That'd be funny if that's how it actually went down. And I'd love to hear what Brooks said when he confronted him. But Brooks has already stated he'd keep that between him and Bryson.

e6769a396f88b91aceef48506b805d34.jpg

You could hit the ball faster and only do A handful of equations instead of what amounts to a calculus exam. That’s a start.

Canadan;n8874130 said:
And Boo isn't exactly making waves, nor has he ever really done that.

Shows up, makes his money, disappears back into the bush haha

And takes less time on 8 foot putts. My kind of golfer

mancest;n8874683 said:
I hate the slow play, and one comment I saw just made me want to vomit in my mouth. Paraphrasing but BDC said that yeah, at times they are over the limit and he knows that... but that means you are KNOWINGLY BREAKING THE RULES! Golf is about monitoring yourself, there is no referee or umpire, the players police themselves and each other. Should each player who has been put off by BDC slow play have come up and said something to him? Maybe, but would it have gotten the same response from him as players taking to twitter/social media to call him out? I highly doubt it, but at the same time, these guys aren't TEAMMATES, they are COMPETITION. So if going to twitter and "attacking" a guy throws him off his game... is that a bad thing if you are one of the not slow players?

To me, Pace of play is very much like the PED issue in baseball in the 2000s, the horse is out of the barn now how do you get it back in there? I don't think the tour has the stones to start really enforcing slow play penalties unless their is quite a few players who are for it. Hopefully this is the tipping point that leads to change, but I won't be holding my breath.

There is no rule about time for a shot while the group is not on the clock though. So no rule technically broken

ntanygd760;n8875198 said:
There is no rule about time for a shot while the group is not on the clock though. So no rule technically broken

Yes, but there is also no rule stating you can’t defecate on the green while your partners are putting, but both are less than desirable traits of someone you might go tee it up with.

Back