Bryson DeChambeau Thread

mancest;n8875262 said:
Yes, but there is also no rule stating you can’t defecate on the green while your partners are putting, but both are less than desirable traits of someone you might go tee it up with.

that's just natural fertilizer

JB;n8873772 said:
Because the rules are convoluted at best. Put on clock, taken off, put on. It's nonsense.
I just find it interesting that we hear about a 90 second shot being too long (which it is), but one of the most celebrated shots in history took longer. Check out start to finish, Tiger Woods chipping in back in 05 Masters.

I don’t mind a guy taking extra time on a difficult shot that really matters, like Tiger’s chip. I mind less if he makes it!

But Bryson taking 2+ minutes on a standard 8 foot birdie putt that barely moves and knocking it 4-5 feet by... uh, no. That’s not a good preshot routine.

Someone said paralysis by analysis earlier. Yeah. Paralysis leads to overanalysis. Like he’s stalling because he’s nervous. Mental yips, almost like choking, you know? He’s nervous and can’t pull the trigger. I say that because I’ve been there... afraid to putt, take too long, analyze the break then totally have bad feel and ram it by. It sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlew2144;n8875091 said:
e6769a396f88b91aceef48506b805d34.jpg

Nice PR move...

one side of mouth; "I absolutely hate playing golf"
other side of mouth; "golf is my passion"

Nice try, bro.

Yeah that's a damage control statement.

Canadan;n8875366 said:
Nice PR move...

Nice try, bro.

good picture tho

kevin81002;n8875514 said:
Yeah that's a damage control statement.

Most definitely. Should have been his first statement though. I think he dug himself into a little bit of a hole and is now trying to climb out of it. But, at least he walks fast between his shots, so he is on the right track.

radiman;n8875536 said:
Most definitely. Should have been his first statement though. I think he dug himself into a little bit of a hole and is now trying to climb out of it. But, at least he walks fast between his shots, so he is on the right track.

Haha... yeah. Hurry up and wait.

Canadan;n8875366 said:
Nice PR move...

Nice try, bro.
So true, not even a backpedal, more of a turn the hips and sprint backward... haha

I took the "it's may livelihood" to mean "publicly hating the sport will turn off the sponsors"

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Soly from NLU has a good take on how to solve the problem.

Group players based on speed of play. Fast players only play with fast players, slow players only play with slow players. This means the slow players don't get to take advantage of the fast players and stay in position. See how quickly things change then.

fupresti;n8875759 said:
Soly from NLU has a good take on how to solve the problem.

Group players based on speed of play. Fast players only play with fast players, slow players only play with slow players. This means the slow players don't get to take advantage of the fast players and stay in position. See how quickly things change then.

That is absurd though. So the final Sunday pairing will be the leader and some dude 15 strokes back.
There is an easy solution, but it involves actually policing the game. The takes that “it took him an extra 30 seconds to pull the trigger are pointless. The trouble is and around the greens, where about half the field routinely goes passed the allotted time. Go to any PGA Tour event and watch the players around the bunker or with any sort of delicate pitch. 2-3 minutes each time. Then back that up to every group in the field. Then another 2 minutes reading putts, marking and lining up every single putt including 3 footers and there is no question where the pace is lost.

Its even more evident on the LPGA where an entire generation would be DQ’d if any sort of pace was kept.

The Tour needs a spine. It's as simple as that.

I agree that it absolutely sucks to impact someone's livelihood by adding strokes to a score, but frankly, those players and doing exactly that in a less visible way to their playing partners by dragging their feet and taking minutes to hit shots. Playing with extremely slow golfers is mentally draining.

Agreed. The players will either abide by the rules, or go play somewhere else. And since Europe is already cracking down and no other tour has even close to a comparable payout, I'm thinking they'll suck it up and play faster.

Anyone catch the foreplay podcast featuring Bryson today? Blames slow walkers, caddies, sprinklers, the PGA clock system, and basically everything under the sun for slow play. Also confirms the Brooks story.

Yikes.

KingVeo;n8876014 said:
Anyone catch the foreplay podcast featuring Bryson today? Blames slow walkers, caddies, sprinklers, the PGA clock system, and basically everything under the sun for slow play. Also confirms the Brooks story.

Yikes.

everyone's fault but his own hahaha

Sounds about right.

KingVeo;n8876014 said:

Yikes.

i’m 30 minutes in so far. he never blames anyone but himself for his slow play on those shots. he admits it is inconsiderate. but he also points out that there are other contributing factors to bad times, says it’s a problem with almost all players, and there are flaws in the system.

for the brooks thing, brysons story sounds a lot like how i thought it went down. he wanted to talk to brooks face to face. he wasn’t trying to pick a fight. and he commends brooks for finding him and talking about it.

he also says he got bad times when he first came on tour and worked to speed up. and he admits that he is slow on the greens and is working to get faster.

i’m looking forward to finishing the interview. from
what i’ve listened to so far, i think he is actually making damn near the best out of a bad situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

McLovin;n8876116 said:
i’m 30 minutes in so far. he never blames anyone but himself for his slow play on those shots. he admits it is inconsiderate. but he also points out that there are other contributing factors to bad times, says it’s a problem with almost all players, and there are flaws in the system.

for the brooks thing, brysons story sounds a lot like how i thought it went down. he wanted to talk to brooks face to face. he wasn’t trying to pick a fight. and he commends brooks for finding him and talking about it.

he also says he got bad times when he first came on tour and worked to speed up. and he admits that he is slow on the greens and is working to get faster.

what i’ve listened to so far, i think he is actually making damn near the best out of a bad situation.

Maybe blame is the wrong word. I think what I heard were a lot of excuses and deflections. When asked about his putt on 8 he said it only happens 1% of the time and that he has to endure guys like JB Holmes out there so why are people harping on him? He actually said he feels bad for other guys who play with Holmes and then went on to talk about JT's wayward shots causing slow play as well. Then he goes into one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever heard about caddies carrying heavy bags causing them to walk 'fractionally slower' in between shots. C'mon dude, that's such an absurd argument.

You are right that he takes ownership of his slow play on that putt, he knows that he's slow. I just can't stand the fact that he's also making these asinine claims that he's making up time by speed walking to his ball and that the PGA needs to review all these other contributing factors and not focus so much on his pitching and putting. The video and the other player's comments were directed at you, not the epidemic of slow play. He's complicating what should be a simple solution: play faster, putt faster. The interview is exactly what you'd expect from Mr. Coefficient of Restitution.

All that being said.. I really dislike BD so I'm hearing this interview with biased ears. YMMV.

McLovin;n8876116 said:

problem is he already opened his mouth before this interview was done. This podcast should have been his first contact with the public rather than what he spewed out in the heat of the moment. Now everything just looks like a walk back of what he said.

KingVeo;n8876014 said:

Yikes.

I'm gonna listen tomorrow while on the road, no surprises in it I'm sure, guy is a weirdo!

KingVeo;n8876202 said:
All that being said.. I really dislike BD so I'm hearing this interview with biased ears. YMMV.

i think there is some truth to this. i'm on the opposite side having met him and seen him interact with people behind the scenes, and coming away impressed. i've been a fan for awhile, although admittedly sometimes it's hard to do when he acts a fool like he is now.

i personally had a very different take on everything you posted. to me he is assessing the situation like an equation, and trying to isolate and address each variable. he isolated the time it took him to get to his ball and manipulated that variable/process to reduce the end result of total time, but other variables are still causing the time to be too high. the obvious variable to address is his pre-shot routine, but i'm guessing he sees that as a big part of his success, so he's trying to address the other variables first instead of the one that may have the biggest impact on his livelihood.

my biggest takeaway from the first 30 minutes is that he does not shy away from the fact that he is slow on the greens. he does not shy away from the fact that the 2min 10sec 8' putt that he missed was unacceptable and inconsiderate to his playing partners. but, and i can't fault him for this, he does not feel it's fair that 1) he is now the punching bag poster boy for slow play, and 2) that his co-workers have taken to social media to chastise him specifically rather than addressing it with him first. if i was in his position, i think i would be hurt by that as well.

Canadan;n8876443 said:
I blame the tour for not acting on a problem that is only increasing. What else can the players do other than publicize those who are on the extreme?

talk to each other. and if that person is unresponsive/unapologetic, take it to the tour. and if the tour is unwilling to take action, take it to social media. if you had an issue with me, i would hope you would message me first instead of going to the forum and calling me out. seems similar to me.

The biggest problem with slow putting players like Bryson is some amateurs pick up on those habits they see on TV. Slow play on the greens from amateurs is way more common than it was when I started playing which is the main reason why the average round at a public course is well over 4 hours. Because of slow play, I pretty much don’t play public courses unless I’m one of the first 4 tee times of the day. The PGA Tour needs to step in and do something before 5 hours becomes the norm. With my daughter now playing team golf for school, I watched a couple high school golf matches this year for the first time since I graduated in 1983 and I couldn’t believe how slow some of the girls are with their putting routines. High school matches are now taking 4:45 or longer vs. 3:45 or faster when I was a teenager.

McLovin;n8876462 said:
talk to each other. and if that person is unresponsive/unapologetic, take it to the tour. and if the tour is unwilling to take action, take it to social media. if you had an issue with me, i would hope you would message me first instead of going to the forum and calling me out. seems similar to me.

I'm not condoning it at all, but I know that the Tour reacts to negative public commentary from their players.

Obviously there are better ways to handle it, but do we know that guys like Bryson haven't heard about it directly from other players?

Canadan;n8876468 said:
I'm not condoning it at all, but I know that the Tour reacts to negative public commentary from their players.

Obviously there are better ways to handle it, but do we know that guys like Bryson haven't heard about it directly from other players?

It’s the typical generations way out. Run to social. With that said it has worked, but it’s a joke that players like JT “call out” Bryson, but never said a word about their buddies.

Here is the beauty of all of this. Next year we will still be talking about it haha.

JB;n8876471 said:
It’s the typical generations way out. Run to social. With that said it has worked, but it’s a joke that players like JT “call out” Bryson, but never said a word about their buddies.

Here is the beauty of all of this. Next year we will still be talking about it haha.

I think you're right on all counts, and it's very annoying.

Back