Justin Rose to Honma?

Justin Rose to Honma?

Until I start seeing Honma in the bags of people in the Bay Area and other parts of the state I will agree to disagree that this helps them sell a significant amount of clubs.

They are in the early stages of a North America market push it seems, so getting one of the top players in the world to showcase their clubs by being in contention every weekend seems to be the best possible marketing they could hope to achieve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Is that their goal? Or are they going for the top of the rankings?

If TaylorMade's goal is to have all the super human dudes on tour... I think they are doing it very wrong.

I dont think rankings sell drivers, distance does. IMHO.

Nike couldn't sell clubs and they had Tiger and Rory in their best years.

Being an apparel company for so long it was probably tough to get people to buy into Nike now producing golf equipment, but I do see what you are saying.

Being an apparel company for so long it was probably tough to get people to buy into Nike now producing golf equipment, but I do see what you are saying.

I believe Nike gave up too quick. They couldn't see over the horizon. They almost made it through the leanest years for the modern golf industry. If they had stuck in the game they would have made it imo. The golf industry is doing fantastic right now. Based on what I am reading here and what the manager at my local Golf Galaxy says this was the best year in a long time.

I dont think rankings sell drivers, distance does. IMHO.

For most other companies I agree, I don't think for TM its as true given their history with the driver.

I believe Nike gave up too quick. They couldn't see over the horizon. They almost made it through the leanest years for the modern golf industry. If they had stuck in the game they would have made it imo. The golf industry is doing fantastic right now. Based on what I am reading here and what the manager at my local Golf Galaxy says this was the best year in a long time.

I don’t think Nike was top 3 in any hardline category. Hard to keep the lights on when hemorrhaging money with no real return.

at first blush this feels a little gimmicky, like bubba with volvik. but to hear that honma has people in place who have history with rose, it makes a little more sense. tm is re-emerging in an exciting way, this feels like a bit of a step back. of their "horses," he seems to be the one playing the most consistently. as a counterpoint, he's definitely the least splashy.

Good for Honma if it is true. I can’t see him playing Honma club but I’m sure they’ll make something for him. Others will follow
I think TM is saving $$ so they can sign Tiger for huge deal for long term.

With it just being a "rumor" i look forward to seeing if it actually happens

Among golf geeks like us this is huge. However, I still believe only one person really influences buy decisions and it isn't Justin Rose. So in that sense I worry for a company like Honma that they spend a big number on someone and don't get a return on the investment.

So this is like Bubba going to Volvik right except I think in this case, this might be Taylormade thinning it's "Herd" like they did with Sergio.
Maybe Justin has a good relationship with the Mark King.

The Homna product is good.

I also think it’s Taylormade thinning the herd.

Huge loss for TM.

Justin was rumored to be leaving last year when Sergio left TM. I thought Justin had re-up with Taylormade for at least a three-year contract. Maybe not.

And yes I think Mark King and their new emphasis in growing the brand is a major part of this

Until I start seeing Honma in the bags of people in the Bay Area and other parts of the state I will agree to disagree that this helps them sell a significant amount of clubs.

I saw a TON of honma last week at my course. there is a club made up of mostly Japanese guys, and many of them had Honma bags and mostly honma clubs. They are obviously NOT the norm, but my guess is this signing is a sign that they plan to push more aggressively into the US Market. Don't know that it will work, but I hope they get product out to more fitters/stores.

What I wonder is how does this affect Taylormade? They have a great stable of players: DJ/Day/Rory/Tiger/Rahm is a great core to focus on, but I always thought Rose and DJ were the lynch pins of that group. Both are very stable and have been top 5 in the world ranking for what seems like ever. Tiger has obviously made a big push, Day and Rory are very hot and cold, Rahm was hot, but not sure long term...

Anyway, just curious.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see if it's also full bag or just partially, if it happens.

Or....And I am just speaking in generalities, the money is similar and he likes the equipment.
Or....the money is similar and he wants to be the focus point of the marketing, which helps his personal brand.
Or...the money is similar and he wants to work with Mark King again

Its always easy to label it just a money deal, but honestly there are usually far more moving pieces than just that piece alone.

Or.....he looks around and says I got to #1 in the OWGR this year, I won the Fedex Cup, and I'm turning 40 in a couple of years. I'm probably not going to get any bigger than I am right now, I'm going to cash in off of that. I understand it, but it's a very curious move when he has had so much success with his current setup over the past 2 years.

Throwing a ton of money at a tour pro is also going against the current industry trends, IMO. The #1 company in golf right now doesn't have a player in the top 15 of the OWGR playing their equipment. They got to the top by making the best product for the common golfer and marketing it that way. Having a top tour guy playing their stuff isn't going to change the impression that Honma gear is really expensive and hard to find. They could change that more by making a big push into golf stores and fitting centers as well as advertising that their gear can be affordable as well. Just my opinion of course, enjoy the conversation.

That would be a huge move for Honma, full bag?

Good for Honma if it is true. I can’t see him playing Honma club but I’m sure they’ll make something for him. Others will follow
I think TM is saving $$ so they can sign Tiger for huge deal for long term.

Why do you say that re: him putting Honma clubs in play?

Huge loss for TM.

is it though? They still have Tiger, Rory, DJ, Day and Rahm. Plus a ton more who game just their driver or woods.

That is big for Honma

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

With it just being a "rumor" i look forward to seeing if it actually happens

Imo it’s more than a rumor. I’ve seen other places around the web that Tm reps have confirmed that Rose is gone. I’m guessing contract obligations thru the calendar year are preventing the announcement.

As to the OP I think it’s a nice pick up for them to get some name recognition on pga/euro tour but I doubt he will move the needle much and to the avg golfer Honma is probably out of their price or similar to other Japanese brands unfamiliar to the American market.

Imo it’s more than a rumor. I’ve seen other places around the web that Tm reps have confirmed that Rose is gone. I’m guessing contract obligations thru the calendar year are preventing the announcement.

As to the OP I think it’s a nice pick up for them to get some name recognition on pga/euro tour but I doubt he will move the needle much and to the avg golfer Honma is probably out of their price or similar to other Japanese brands unfamiliar to the American market.

Honma's Tour World line is right in line with pretty much every other brand's "enthusiast" line. I don't think they compete in that $699-$799 space, but the forged irons are "normal" price.

Wow that is pretty cool. Rose has been with TM as long as I can remember. Huge get for Honma I think

This is a pretty cool move and I hope Justin is able to keep up his level of play with such a big switch.

I definitely think it will bring more eyes to Honma but won't the lack of availability of the equipment in retail still be a big challenge? It will definitely get people thinking about it though. Good for Honma for getting such a big catch.

Will be interesting to see if it's also full bag or just partially, if it happens.

Good question

Back