Justin Rose to Honma?

My thought is the Mark King relationship.

I wonder how much of a step back he takes getting adjusted to the equipment
If he does it would be a terrible start to Honma's American expansion IMO. Ever since the Bubba/Volvik disaster the stores cant give them away.

If he does it would be a terrible start to Honma's American expansion IMO. Ever since the Bubba/Volvik disaster the stores cant give them away.

plus competing matte balls are being offered at a lower price point on the same rack

Would be a massive splash for Honma. Would likely get Rose more front and center advertising also instead of sharing the TM spotlight with their big stable of stars

I think it’s a solid business move on his part. He is marketable beyond belief, he can golf his ball and carries his brands well. Homna makes some great gear so I think this is a great fit. If this is true, the homna booth will be hoping at PGA show.

My thought is the Mark King relationship.

I wonder how much of a step back he takes getting adjusted to the equipment

I'm interested in seeing how much he puts in the bag on day 1. I think irons won't take as long as some of the other clubs to get used to, since he's playing blades. Woods it seems might take a bit longer, and the Honma putter selection is somewhat limited. So my guess is a mixed bag to start but you never know. I'm sure they can get him dialed in. I know ArmyGolf brought up Bubba with Volvik but I honestly think the ball is a bigger change.

Which actually brings up an interesting question - does he put the Honma ball in play?

If Honma wants US/Euro Credibility, it's a strong move if it works. Good for Justin but also pressure after the Bubba failure with Volvik. And doesn't everyone like Justin Rose?

Massive if it happens. I think it is a good for Honma to increase their presence out of Asia into EU and USA by pairing with professionals such as Dustin.

As a brand ambassador, he carries them well and also gives his honest opinion to help with R&D. He is very friendly and interacts with fans well too.

With Honma, you get the best out of the irons but its comes at a price. Loves the Beres IS-06 but i don't know whether I could convince myself to fork out such an high price especially when there are similar JDM clubs that perform the same with a lower price point.

I hope post expansion, we get better prices throughout the world as part of their expansion

Or....And I am just speaking in generalities, the money is similar and he likes the equipment.
Or....the money is similar and he wants to be the focus point of the marketing, which helps his personal brand.
Or...the money is similar and he wants to work with Mark King again

Its always easy to label it just a money deal, but honestly there are usually far more moving pieces than just that piece alone.

Didn't you mention earlier that basically nobody is left at Taylormade from the old days and that factored into Sergio's decision to leave?

I worked at a company that started out with fifty-something employees. Over ten years it whittled down to six and us survivors enjoyed it less and less watching our friends being laid off. When they let me go they had four employees left. I was glad to be gone.

Didn't you mention earlier that basically nobody is left at Taylormade from the old days and that factored into Sergio's decision to leave?

I worked at a company that started out with fifty-something employees. Over ten years it whittled down to six and us survivors enjoyed it less and less watching our friends being laid off. When they let me go they had four employees left. I was glad to be gone.

There are still a lot of people there, but yes the company is very different and a number of key people are no longer there including a number of product people such as Sean Toulon, Tom Olsavsky, Jose Miraflor, etc.

I'm interested in seeing how much he puts in the bag on day 1. I think irons won't take as long as some of the other clubs to get used to, since he's playing blades. Woods it seems might take a bit longer, and the Honma putter selection is somewhat limited. So my guess is a mixed bag to start but you never know. I'm sure they can get him dialed in. I know ArmyGolf brought up Bubba with Volvik but I honestly think the ball is a bigger change.

Which actually brings up an interesting question - does he put the Honma ball in play?

The TM drivers have such a distinctive look, especially on TV, that if he's still playing it on Day 1 of the contract, that's a bad look. I realize that's not Homna's strength, but if he's going to be their top player, it has to be at least a 13 club deal, right?

I would be really surprised if it’s a 13 club deal and I doubt he would play their ball right away if at all. But it will be interesting to see what happens, if this happens.

Great pickup by Honma, I imagine it'll be 13 clubs unless he's working with them on a putter now.

Great move by both parties!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one doesn’t do anything for me. Hope it works out for both but I’m kinda Meh....

Great pickup by Honma, I imagine it'll be 13 clubs unless he's working with them on a putter now.

Really you think so? I see it being more like a Wilson Staff contract where the pros play their irons and them maybe get incentives to play other clubs in the bag on a per club basis.

Should Rose sign a deal with Honma, I think only if he wore a hat with the Honma name would it have a significant positive impact for USA market club sales.
For exposure to a television audience, the hat is crucial.

Justin Rose to Honma?

Most of the general public I’ve ever spoken with seems to view JR as a pompous DB so I’m not really sure this will help the preconceived notions about Honma being overpriced JDM clubs.

Most of the general public I’ve ever spoken with seems to view JR as a pompous DB so I’m not really sure this will help the preconceived notions about Honma being overpriced JDM clubs.

I've never heard anyone say anything but positive things about Justin Rose.

This would be good. Asian market is hot right now.

Really you think so? I see it being more like a Wilson Staff contract where the pros play their irons and them maybe get incentives to play other clubs in the bag on a per club basis.

Maybe long term he'll get 14 clubs eventually, but short term it's probably more realistic like you mentioned above with Wilson. He has a great opportunity to be the face of the company, instead of one of the many TM faces.

Justin Rose to Honma?

Should Rose sign a deal with Honma, I think only if he wore a hat with the Honma name would it have a significant positive impact for USA market club sales.
For exposure to a television audience, the hat is crucial.

He always wore a TM hat, so if the Honma deal is a full bag or close to full bag deal I would say the odds are pretty good he’s gonna rock a Honma hat.

Justin Rose to Honma?

I've never heard anyone say anything but positive things about Justin Rose.

I would hope that was very tongue-in-cheek. Because that is absolutely not the case. One of the nicest most accessible guys on tour.

To add to what everyone is saying. I am hearing that it at most will be 13 clubs. Another thing that comes in to play here, I haven’t heard anything about his Adidas sponsorship going away. Will he wear an Adidas hat similar to what Sergio and Xander do? Or Honma with adidas on the sides?

Last edited:
He always wore a TM hat, so if the Honma deal is a full bag or close to full bag deal I would say the odds are pretty good he’s gonna rock a Honma hat.

Hat's are expensive.
I would guess that a player of Justin's status may receive something like this :

Hat: $10 million per year
12 or 13 club deal: $3 million per year
Logo on shirt chest: $ 2 million per year
Staff bag large logo : $2 million per year
Golf ball : $2 million per year

Hat's are expensive.
I would guess that a player of Justin's status may receive something like this :

No one is getting $10 million for the hat.

Justin Rose to Honma?

Hat's are expensive.

I’m not sure where the $10 million a year for a hat is coming from, but all of the articles I’ve seen throw out a number between 1-2 million for hats on top talent.

Back