Kuchar - Mayakoba Caddie Drama - Your Take?

If this story is true, and Kuch didn’t feel like he deserved 10%, which is fine, let’s be honest, 5k is a little on the low side.
Low compared to...

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Low compared to...

Compared to common sense and decency

Let’s see I have not won in 4 years I put a local on my bag and win 1.2 million You darn right I am taking care of the guy!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you think Kuch's win can attributed to a caddy who probably didn't even help him (Depending on the account you listen to)? If 5k is not enough to walk and carry a golf bag, then there must be some objective number. The caddy thought 20k wasn't enough. So is Kuch supposed to pay him for services rendered or is he supposed to pay to satisfy this weird requirement we have for rich/famous people?

Not just you. I expect that this story has caused Kuchar's reputation to take a hit with plenty of Tour players, Tour caddies, golf fans, golf industry people etc....
From a pure golf perspective, Kuchar winning for the first time in 4 years is relevant. Obviously, the local caddie was a significant help to Kuchar's performance.

? It’s not like Kuchar has been irrelevant for four years with no wins. If anything quite the contrary. This hasn’t hurt his reputation whatsoever with 98% of the golfing world.

Plus....everyone just assumes he’s a bazillionaire. No one has any idea what he does or doesn’t need that extra money for. Could be medical, could be personal, could be anything really and to just blindly accuse him of basically being a Richard is reckless at best. Just like the caddie has his rights......so does Kuch for whatever reason he decides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

? It’s not like Kuchar has been irrelevant for four years with no wins. If anything quite the contrary. This hasn’t hurt his reputation whatsoever with 98% of the golfing world.

Plus....everyone just assumes he’s a bazillionaire. No one has any idea what he does or doesn’t need that extra money for. Could be medical, could be personal, could be anything really and to just blindly accuse him of basically being a Richard is reckless at best. Just like the caddie has his rights......so does Kuch for whatever reason he decides.

Being rich has nothing to do with it.

Half percent (yes half of 1 percent) for winning to a caddy just blows my mind. I realize I am in the minority here but this is just wrong to me

So you think Kuch's win can attributed to a caddy who probably didn't even help him (Depending on the account you listen to)?

Before Mexico, it had been 4 years , more than 100 starts, since Kuchar won a Tour event. Obviously, the local caddie was significant help to Kuchar's play.
Remember, sometimes the most effective caddie is the one who says the least.

Compared to common sense and decency

Let’s see I have not won in 4 years I put a local on my bag and win 1.2 million You darn right I am taking care of the guy!!!!!

It's just so tough, man. We all grew up with different values with different backgrounds. Tipping for a lot of Countries is not a necessity it's uncommon. Giving the guy almost double his pay (for a lot of people) is probably too much, others just enough, and the rest too little.

Here's my follow up; If you were to win the lottery for 600 million dollars would you tip the clerk who sold it to you? They had just as much of a role as you did in winning (maybe slightly less). Would you give them a full percent? At what point does "a percentage of" not apply? 1.5 billion?

Before Mexico, it had been 4 years , more than 100 starts, since Kuchar won a Tour event. Obviously, the local caddie was significant help to Kuchar's play.

You mean the caddie who needed a translator to share his story with the internet? Their conversations must have been legendary! lol

I don't know that it's obvious. If the caddie helped, then I would see it differently though. I don't see the win drought as that big of a deal considering how often he finishes near the top. It was bound to happen.

Being rich has nothing to do with it.

Half percent (yes half of 1 percent) for winning to a caddy just blows my mind. I realize I am in the minority here but this is just wrong to me

So if you were picked out of a crowd and given a caddie job at a pga tournament, do you think you deserve the exact same amount then other professional caddies make on a weekly basis?

Cause, if my employer randomly picked a guy out and put him in my job, paid him the exact same amount and expected him to perform the same as I did, I’d start to think my employer was nuts. Could someone come in with limited knowledge and make some assessments and manage things for 6 days with out any formal perspective of what should or shouldn’t be done? You think an employer should just blindly pay people the same amount and not have it be based on experience and your track record of success?

That sounds like a quick and easy way to go out of business. Just my two cents which is probably only worth a penny lol

It's just so tough, man. We all grew up with different values with different backgrounds. Tipping for a lot of Countries is not a necessity it's uncommon. Giving the guy almost double his pay (for a lot of people) is probably too much, others just enough, and the rest too little.

Here's my follow up; If you were to win the lottery for 600 million dollars would you tip the clerk who sold it to you? They had just as much of a role as you did in winning (maybe slightly less). Would you give them a full percent? At what point does "a percentage of" not apply? 1.5 billion?

Actually I would tip the clerk. And all my friends would love me winning the lottery

So if you were picked out of a crowd and given a caddie job at a pga tournament, do you think you deserve the exact same amount then other professional caddies make on a weekly basis?

Cause, if my employer randomly picked a guy out and put him in my job, paid him the exact same amount and expected him to perform the same as I did, I’d start to think my employer was nuts. Could someone come in with limited knowledge and make some assessments and manage things for 6 days with out any formal perspective of what should or shouldn’t be done? You think an employer should just blindly pay people the same amount and not have it be based on experience and your track record of success?

That sounds like a quick and easy way to go out of business. Just my two cents which is probably only worth a penny lol

If i was randomly picked and my guy won I might say I was pretty good haha

Actually I would tip the clerk. And all my friends would love me winning the lottery

I think most would, but that's not my question. Would you give him 6 million if you won 600 million? At what point does the percentage stop playing a factor, and can we respect that for most people that number is different?

If i was randomly picked and my guy won I might say I was pretty good haha

Hahahaha what if he didn’t ask you a single question cause you speak only Chinese and Your tour pro is French.
I get your point. Just playing devils advocate

Hahahaha what if he didn’t ask you a single question cause you speak only Chinese and Your tour pro is French.
I get your point. Just playing devils advocate

Well since I talk all the time I would talk his ear off in chines and say that’s why he won haha

I wonder what Bernard gave Jackie last week when his daughter filled in for the Oasis. I wonder what Matthew Wolff gave his golf coach during WM the week before that and what amateurs do in general.

I believe expectations are just that. Unless there is regulation in place, it is between the player and caddie in my view.

The last an only time I caddied, I got a free lunch and it was more than expected. Of course it wasn't during a tournament =)

My new takeaway from this thread is that Kuchar should fire his tour caddy and hire a local fill in caddy for each tournament. Obviously his tour caddy does a poor job since Kuchar hasn't won with him in over four years. He can then not worry about the traditional 10% caddy tip ever again either.

They had an agreement and he fulfilled it. The caddie is not due the 10%. Since he is local and did not have to pay for his lodging or airfare what he got is reasonable. Or maybe next time say I will give you $5k win or lose. Or I will give you $1k and 10% if I win. I wonder what he would have taken?

I think most would, but that's not my question. Would you give him 6 million if you won 600 million? At what point does the percentage stop playing a factor, and can we respect that for most people that number is different?

I would probably be the wrong person to answer this, as I would give out approximately 50% of my winnings after taxes. Family, friends, school, employees, and yes I would give about 3 million to the clerk that sold me the winning lottery ticket. It’s no fun winning that kind of money if I can’t share it with those around me. Plus, if I ended with say 100 million cash net after giving to everyone, then I think I could survive very nicely on a 100 million the rest of my life.

For me, percentage of my winnings would always apply. Why wouldn’t it? The more I win the higher a percentage I probably give.

I would probably be the wrong person to answer this, as I would give out approximately 50% of my winnings after taxes. Family, friends, school, employees, and yes I would give about 3 million to the clerk that sold me the winning lottery ticket. It’s no fun winning that kind of money if I can’t share it with those around me. Plus, if I ended with say 100 million cash net after giving to everyone, then I think I could survive very nicely on a 100 million the rest of my life.

For me, percentage of my winnings would always apply. Why wouldn’t it? The more I win the higher a percentage I probably give.

Actually I'd say you're the perfect example. You already split my 10% sample in half and I'd say you're about the most generous person I've ever seen haha!

Actually I'd say you're the perfect example. You already split my 10% sample in half and I'd say you're about the most generous person I've ever seen haha!

It’s funny. My brother and I talk about how much to give away and how much we would keep. I am very close with my family, so if one wins we all win.

But, I do agree the club caddie doesn’t deserve a full 10%. However, I don’t think his thoughts of 50,000 was wrong. I also think Kuchar was EXTREMELY cheap.

Has anyone looked into the fact that the 50k is almost 4%? Don’t tour guys make like 8%?

I’m sorry but I don’t think he deserves that considering the work most caddies do.

He was eventually offered 1.5% and said no. For that I think he is stupid.

There is definitely a lot of hearsay, but the golf.com reporter did see the email exchanges (3 emails from El Tucan, one from the agent). We're hearing one side of the story, but there is some written account included as well.

This article published right after the event finished seemed to back up the caddie's story about wanting to invest in a laundromat.

https://golf.swingbyswing.com/tour/kuchars-local-caddie-getting-huge-payday-for-win/

“I’m so happy, full of emotion,” the 40-year-old El Tucan told reporters, according to TheCaddieNetwork.com. “We were very solid to achieve our objective. We went step by step, getting more birdies.”
The victory earned Kuchar $1.23 million winner’s check, raising the human ATM’s on-course career earnings to just over $45 million despite having only eight Tour victories. While the check is undoubtedly nice for Kuchar, the caddie’s cut means much more.
El Tucan is in line to take 10% of that winning purse, according to normal caddie-player protocol of 5-7-10 (5 percent of a check for a made cut, 7 percent for a top-10 finish and 10 percent for a win). However, arrangements are handled entirely on a case-by-case basis and with a one-week partnership, there may be some slight variations.
“I think he’s flying; I think he’s en route to Australia,” Kuchar said when asked if he had heard from his normal looper in the aftermath of the victory. “I’m sure John’s disappointed not to have worked this week. He’s a great caddie. John does a fantastic job. I look forward to getting back with him next week. I’m excited for El Tucan, sorry for John.”
TheCaddieNetwork.com reported that El Tucan was in line to receive “somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 million pesos,” which is the equivalent of just under $100,000.
That big payday isn’t going to tempt El Tucan to change his day job, however. The father of two said he plans to invest some of the money he earned on Kuchar’s bag into a business.

Last edited:
Last years winner received 121k

A local guy was on trainers bag and made 22k I saw the check

Amazing that a local guy got that. Though based on my two year experience, that's not always the case with all web.com tour players.

When a guy who is now top 70 player in the world won the event here, a local caddie who actually had experience on a minitour and a pro herself did not receive 10%.

There's nothing wrong with it though. She was happy with what she received and the experience.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back