Kuchar - Mayakoba Caddie Drama - Your Take?

But do we know how much Gillis made last week? How do we know whether $100 was a fair contribution, or if TG is just being cheap?

Considering he made over $5 million during his career, I'm saying he's cheap.

I'll never cheer for...........*checks notes*

Tom Gillis again.

Is there anyway.....

"DG"_1234" is actually related to Tom Gillis aka "TG"??? hmmmm???? hmmmmmmmm???? :banana::bulgy-eyes:

I find this comical because he was "forced" into contributing to avoid looking like a hypocrite. What a tool.

And $100...where the guy has made millions on tour. Shouldn't this be exposed as being sort of "tight"? :D

Kuchar - Mayakoba Caddie Drama - Your Take?

In this example, substitute teachers making less than regular teachers is justified. They aren't responsible for making lesson plans, preparing a classroom, writing curriculum, and their heads aren't on the chopping block when standardized test scores roll in. Their role isn't the same as a regular teacher, so it is completely legitimate that they should not make the same money.

--------------------

Even apart from the "deal is a deal" talk (which is also justified and completely reasonable), El Tucan filling in as a substitute and making less than a regular tour caddie is also completely reasonable. El Tucan had zero additional expenses on the week, slept in his own bed, and got to see his family every night. The role of a regular tour caddie is being diminished when a local fill in caddie is expected to be compensated in the same manner as someone who has sacrificed the same as a regular caddie. The work expected of him when they reached an agreement prior to Thursdays round was in line with what he was being compensated. This guy is not a part of Kuchar's assembled team, he was a substitute subcontractor.

Do any of you that are speaking against Kuchar know what he normally pays his regular caddie?

Do you know what the other local caddies were paid that week?

Do you know that El Tucan actually did a good job, or at least more than 160% of what he was asked to do?

Is there a single professional athlete that meets your standards in a way that you will grace them with your fanship?

Do you even like golf?

First, on the teacher front. Yes, agree absolutely they should and will get paid less then the regular teacher. Sorry, most of the curriculum is now done and approved by the administrators and school board. The teacher now follow the exact weekly and daily as setup by the curriculum we approve. Teachers have some leeway, but in the end most of it is written for them now. It’s not like the old days.

However, on the amount paid per day to a substitute teacher shouldn’t be less than 75% of what a normal everyday teacher makes. In our area, a teacher averages 75,000 for approximately 400 per work day. A substitute makes 100 per day with no benefits or anything else. You decide if that seems fair. And maybe why we have such a shortage on substitute teachers nationwide.

Second, I will take a stab at some of these questions.

No clue on what Kuchar pays his caddie. My guess is more the average weekly salary is 20 times higher.

Again, no clue what other caddies were paid. However, if this amount paid by Kuchar was appropriate would this even be a story? Since it has become a huge story, I am going out on a limb and said not appropriate in the minds of those in the field.

I would say the tour caddie must have helped enough that this happened to be Kuchar’s first win in four years and from what I have heard other tour players using him at this tournament have scored very well.

I know full well that all people have flaws. My current favorite athletes are C Wentz and J Embiid. Philly fan what can I say. Are they perfect? No.

Absolutely, love the game of golf and can’t wait to meet many of the people I post with here on the boards one day. Gladly, buy you the first drink as we debate all fun things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
And $100...where the guy has made millions on tour. Shouldn't this be exposed as being sort of "tight"? :D
I hope this backfires on TG and people start pointing out his paycheck....and why $100 is not enough.... Oh the irony.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It’s unclear to me how anyone, regardless of what side of the argument they’re on, should have to contribute to the (lame imo) gofundme. The caddie didn’t provide a service to anyone other than Kuchar, including Gillis.

It’s unclear to me how anyone, regardless of what side of the argument they’re on, should have to contribute to the (lame imo) gofundme. The caddie didn’t provide a service to anyone other than Kuchar, including Gillis.

My question... if he wouldn't take the $15k in hush money (or however people want to term it, that is what my opinion is of it) then why would he take anything from a bunch of strangers?

My question... if he wouldn't take the $15k in hush money (or however people want to term it, that is what my opinion is of it) then why would he take anything from a bunch of strangers?

And that’s a great question. I thought he should have taken the 15k offered by the agent. I have no idea if he really is going to accept these handouts or not.

He provided Gillis a very large service.

Made him relevant for a couple of weeks.

It'd be funny if, the next time Kuchar has to use a local caddie, he pays the caddie 50k.

Honestly, if they agreed on $4k for a Top 10 finish, then he should be happy with the $5k, and even happier with the $20k. It's on the caddy for not saying "Hey, if you win, why not jack it up to $25 to 50k?" Never know until you ask, and asking after the fact - and through the press - is lame.

And that’s a great question. I thought he should have taken the 15k offered by the agent. I have no idea if he really is going to accept these handouts or not.

Curious who set the GFM page up....? Tom Gillis? And as an additional question, is there any REAL obligation (legal or otherwise) that whoever set the page up had to give the $ to Tucan...? Or does this all just create a Chapter 2 to this story?

What ever happened to the Ben Crane/Tom Gillis story?

$1800 by 21 people in 15 days. Safe to say this is not a popular campaign.

Wonder if the caddie turns it down too. Much less than the 15000 he turned down.

The more I hear about TG the more he sounds like just a big baby. Wah, wah, wah.

For what it's worth, Gillis apparently takes pride in being a "principled person" and doesn't mind using social media to try and right what he perceives as a wrong.
Obviously his habit of exposing Tour players is not popular with most people, but Gillis does not seem to mind being criticized for doing what he believes is the right thing to do.
I can't think of any way that Gillis benefits (at least financially) from his commentary, so my guess is that his motivation is altruistic.

For what it's worth, Gillis apparently takes pride in being a "principled person" and doesn't mind using social media to try and right what he perceives as a wrong.
Obviously his habit of exposing Tour players is not popular with most people, but Gillis does not seem to mind being criticized for doing what he believes is the right thing to do.
I can't think of any way that Gillis benefits (at least financially) from his commentary, so my guess is that his motivation is altruistic.

Well he wasn’t very successful on tour so might as well try and come up with a new gimmick....

I’ve asked this question 3 times already. Are you or were you a professional caddy at any one point in time to have access to these “factual” numbers and data?

I’ll throw in another question.....do you have any relationship directly with Tom Gillis himself?

He doesn’t benefit from the media attention by making a mountain out of mole hill?

"Oh, no, I don't care about money...having my narcissism indulged is enough."

Altruistic? I doubt it. He has a "I'm better than anyone else" complex and that's all. He's not even providing responsible journalism. He's set himself as judge, jury, and in his mind he's going to out whoever he believes he can bully according to his own agenda. That's not social conscience, that's malice.

Curious who set the GFM page up....? Tom Gillis? And as an additional question, is there any REAL obligation (legal or otherwise) that whoever set the page up had to give the $ to Tucan...? Or does this all just create a Chapter 2 to this story?

He was donation number 2 so I'm guessing he had someone set it up and knew about it before hand.

Back