Kuchar - Mayakoba Caddie Drama - Your Take?

The part that stuck out to me is tour pros saying the Kuch stiffing someone doesn’t surprise them at all. No way to corroborate the info, but that was a weird take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But again, why do we care about that? Hell, Tiger was the biggest douche in the planet to people and it was well known but its OK there.

Maybe I'm just of the mind that its his money, and how he uses it is his prerogative.

But again, why do we care about that? Hell, Tiger was the biggest douche in the planet to people and it was well known but its OK there.

Maybe I'm just of the mind that its his money, and how he uses it is his prerogative.

I actually don't care one bit.
Did Wesley Bryan pay hashtag 10% when he won in Mexico? Honeslty, whether he did or not makes zero difference to me. Now that was probably a different situation, but in the end whatever.

Kuch shouldn’t be held to some incredibly high standard, I agree. Just stuck out that PGA players would go out of their way to bring his frugal nature to light.

I’m not going to judge him, but also not gonna ignore the comments either. Will still root for him, etc. Doesn’t affect me one bit truly, but it’s not the most positive light to be shed when your peers say you consistently stiff people. I wouldn’t want to have that image on a personal level.

I am more bothered that one rando on twitter can actually challenge a player's character to the point where people actually have an opinion on it.

We know:
- Kuch won a tournament
- A caddie got paid
- Kuch is a standout with engagement

We don't know:
- How much the caddie got paid
- etc

Why is that? Because he's frugal with his own money?

That might be frugal. But at .2% of earnings for the week seems a bit ridiculous with the wealth he’s got. Could have easily given more than the customary 10% and been fine. Plus the PR plays way better in that story line.

I am more bothered that one rando on twitter can actually challenge a player's character to the point where people actually have an opinion on it.

We know:
- Kuch won a tournament
- A caddie got paid
- Kuch is a standout with engagement

We don't know:
- How much the caddie got paid
- etc

Gillis claims he is trying to help a caddie get paid.
Hopefully ,before taking his cause to Twitter, Gillis made some attempt (s) to communicate privately with Kuchar.

That might be frugal. But at .2% of earnings for the week seems a bit ridiculous with the wealth he’s got. Could have easily given more than the customary 10% and been fine. Plus the PR plays way better in that story line.

I ask this of my kids in class all the time, if someone EARNS the money, why should they be told by others how they should use it?

Hopefully ,before taking his cause to Twitter, Gillis made some attempt (s) to communicate privately with Kuchar.

Gillis is trying to make a name for himself. I bet he couldn't care less about the caddie.

Gillis wanted clicks, likes, etc.

The part that stuck out to me is tour pros saying the Kuch stiffing someone doesn’t surprise them at all. No way to corroborate the info, but that was a weird take.

Sounds like sour grapes

With Phil you hear about the whole FIGJAM stuff but this is the first ever hearing anything negative about Kuch

Sounds like sour grapes

With Phil you hear about the whole FIGJAM stuff but this is the first ever hearing anything negative about Kuch

Yeah, I'm not going to post much more about this since it's really not at all important to me. It does sound like sour grapes, but it's coming from more than one tour pro, not just one guy.

I ask this of my kids in class all the time, if someone EARNS the money, why should they be told by others how they should use it?

They should not be told by others how they should use/spend their earned money. That's true, absolutely.
But, Kuchar is in the public eye , selling his skills, image, services etc... to the highest endorsement dollars. The win at Mayakoba was a great story (no wins in years and then victory with a local amateur caddie) . As such it was an opportunity for Kuchar to enhance his image, build on his reputation as a "great guy" etc... and for that paying the caddie 10% ($125,000) would have made good business sense.

Yeah, I'm not going to post much more about this since it's really not at all important to me. It does sound like sour grapes, but it's coming from more than one tour pro, not just one guy.

Have you heard more than one story about a tour pro being ultra generous with their money? Do we have any sort of depth as to what this frugal behavior represents? Are we talking 5 dollars on a 50 dollar tab? 10 dollars? 100 dollars? We have absolutely nothing to genuinely build our opinion on.

And it sucks. Sucks for Kuch.

I'm not saying he should be told what to pay his caddy, I'm just saying my opinion of him changes a bit because of this whole drama.

I think tipping in restaurants falls into this grey area as well, let's say someone typically tips 20%, but they go to a restaurant, get bad service and want to tip less, where's the basement of that tip, what do those serves need/require based on the way their pay structure is set. It's up to the consumer how much/what to pay based on their experience.

In regards to Kuchar, I'm going to assume the caddy was more than just a bag carrier, and I'm going to also assume he wasn't too much of a distraction to Kuchar as he won. Based on that what is that base required to pay the caddy and what tip amount above that does Kuchar feel he needed/should pay?

I'm not saying he should be told what to pay his caddy, I'm just saying my opinion of him changes a bit because of this whole drama.

I think tipping in restaurants falls into this grey area as well, let's say someone typically tips 20%, but they go to a restaurant, get bad service and want to tip less, where's the basement of that tip, what do those serves need/require based on the way their pay structure is set. It's up to the consumer how much/what to pay based on their experience.

In regards to Kuchar, I'm going to assume the caddy was more than just a bag carrier, and I'm going to also assume he wasn't too much of a distraction to Kuchar as he won. Based on that what is that base required to pay the caddy and what tip amount above that does Kuchar feel he needed/should pay?

but you don't know what he paid him. How can your opinion change that much?

They should not be told by others how they should use/spend their earned money. That's true, absolutely.
But, Kuchar is in the public eye , selling his skills, image, services etc... to the highest endorsement dollars. The win at Mayakoba was a great story (no wins in years and then victory with a local amateur caddie) . As such it was an opportunity for Kuchar to enhance his image, build on his reputation as a "great guy" etc... and for that paying the caddie 10% ($125,000) would have made good business sense.

So because he's in the public eye, the public has a right to brow beat him into behaving in a specific manner?

I do wonder about this guy Gillis Outside of THP I dont go to many other sites related to golf. I'm just not buying this. Even if there was initially a mistake Kuchard isnt going to let his rep get stained over money to a caddy. Also his wife, his agent, his parents,somebody would say, fix this.

but you don't know what he paid him. How can your opinion change that much?

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

OK so not 3k and not 125k. If he paid him 75k is that cool?

So much speculation being made.

Not sure what you teach but as a parent of a recently graduated college kid I am a believer that kids are taught how to make money but are never taught unless it is at home about what to do with the money once you get some.
Teaching money basics to high school kids would be so smart. Sorry to get so far off the subject.

well I'll take Kuch's word over this guy and Kuch said he didnt get $3K, so time will tell (or maybe never will)

I do as well, just so bizarre that this guy has seemed to take on the fight on the caddies behalf

He's worth about 20-25 million per google. Why not just give the whole purse to the caddie, who did exactly we don't know what to secure the win for Kuch?
What about the guy who unpacked his bags?
What about the cook who made his delicious fritata the day of the big win?
What about the dudes cutting grass at Mayakoba? They surely played a big role in his win.

We know absolutely nothing about this, yet are actively defining how much a man should give to a guy who hauled his clubs around.

So because he's in the public eye, the public has a right to brow beat him into behaving in a specific manner?

Celebrities, pro athletes, politicians etc... get criticized for their behavior every day. It's one of the downsides to living within the public eye.
Much of the time the criticism is not fair or "right", but it happens.
I do think the Mayakoba victory gave Kuchar a unique business opportunity, to enhance his image and reputation.

Back